Nextbase 522 reoccurring issues across multiple installs - Technicians view.

danjwilko

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you are all well, and hopefully since were on a 522gw sub not to many problems. Disclaimer I'm a technician for a UK company that installs in car tech.

The long story short myself and another technician are pulling hairs out basically over these units, we have seen multiple come back into the shop over the last year or so and increasingly more so the last few months.
Its always the same story, freezes, lockup, unable to turn off the owners either leave the units to deplete the battery or press the reset button underneath to get them going again for a short while.

Nextbase support have been amazing as per normal so cannot fault them at all but the brand is certainly being let down by the units at the moment. We didnt seem to see the same problem with the 312/512's.

So at the beginning of the week we receive a phone call from one customer with the freezing issue, and booked them in to asses the unit etc and lo and behold another Dash-cam is booked in via customer support upon checking the details its the same camera, same problem, so i decided to keep note of the units coming back in just for a reference.

The last two days alone Ive had 4 522s back in with the same issue.

First one was installed in an Ford ecospsort 2014, the customer originally bought the 522 bundle deal back in February this year, has had 2 replacement units since then. The original issue was freezing/no power once ignition was switched off, so we switched the setup from a ignition live setup to permanent live setup. (Point to note: Nextbase tech support stated for all front and rear installs if parking mode is wanted then they have to be hardwired in permanent live as the internal batteries do not contain enough power).
The unit still froze so booked back in, we followed the usual protocol check the power cable/fuse, format SD-card, replace SD-card and format, check and update firmware if needed, each time having to reset the unit to get a response.
Then explained the problem and what we had checked with Nextbase technical support, ends in "unit shouldnt do that its faulty needs replacing". Each time they have been back in its been the same process and the same response and to clarify each replacement has been a full bundle uninstall and new reinstall including replacing the hard-wire kit.
So with the above customer/car it was replaced circa in July, then again in September. the customer has now reverted to resetting the dash cam every time it freezes when able to do so safely, which i was informed is 3-5 times a day, so but has zero confidence with the unit.

Ford galaxy 2022, same issue, fitted front and rear bundle 3 weeks ago, customer has had it freeze every couple of days, again same process as above reset replace SD-card see how they get on, phone call half an hour later unit has froze again. Will be booking in for a assessment and more than likely a replacement.

Citroen C3 2012 same as above around 2 months back, the customer doesn't drive often so only noticed the camera wasnt recording the last few days, again freezing and unresponsive, carried out a reset check the firmware version (latest) formatted the SD-card and let the customer know any problems pop back in.

Kia Sportage 2018, as above, kept freezing, reset the camera it froze within 2 seconds, replaced the SD-card and unwittingly left the rear camera out didn't freeze. plugged the rear camera back on and it froze 2 mins later. Rang tech support replacement advised. We have since refitted and has had it freeze once since was told to reset and hasnt had an issue since but isn't a happy customer.

Now noting the rear camera being unplugged on the Kia Sportage and not having the main unit lock up I've since gone back to the Ford Ecosport customer who will be on their 4th 522gw bundle if we replace it again, to unplug the rear camera, and see if it does/doesn't lock up again.
That particular customer has had everything changed multiple times, the only thing we cannot change is the flaming car itself. (does seem to be a reoccurring theme with fords but could be they are more common than most other brands).

If it doesn't freeze by simply removing the rear camera it will mean the 522s are not fit for purpose as a dual camera. If it does freeze again quite frankly myself and the other techs will be out of ideas. I need to have a word with Nextbase support either way and find out if they have noticed any issues with certain cars brands of cars and if so will reccomend alternatives to said brands/models in the future.

Other than ringing Nextbase after following the process they outline each time and getting yet again another replacement which seems extremely futile we have no answers to why the 522gw and on occasion other models keep freezing.

Appreciate this is one hell of a post but to any body with a 522gw with an issue please note you are not alone, get in touch with nextbase support and ge the units checked out/ replaced. If the problem keeps rearing its ugly head maybe the only option is an alternative brand unfortunately.

Have a good christmass all. I will post updates where possible and if we get any concrete fixes etc.

My first thought has always been the vehicle power supply. These days with stop/start being common I wonder if any voltage change or disruption during the frequent start stage can cause this issue.

The unit detects power loss, goes into shutdown and before shutdown is complete, power is restored, but ignored during shutdown.

If the 522 bundle is powered indoors on a stable 'mobile phone charger' does the same happen ?

I have had the 522 with rear cam in my Volvo XC60 getting on for 4 years now. It has never locked out/ froze/ etc, and I have stop / start. It is hard wired into ignition side (I don’t use park mode)
Could this not be tracked back to an internal component that may have been redesigned / change supplier etc?
Surely Nextbase must have some idea as to when the units started getting sent back. It must be costing them not only a lot of money with replacements but damaging their reputation as well.

My first thought has always been the vehicle power supply. These days with stop/start being common I wonder if any voltage change or disruption during the frequent start stage can cause this issue.

The unit detects power loss, goes into shutdown and before shutdown is complete, power is restored, but ignored during shutdown.

If the 522 bundle is powered indoors on a stable 'mobile phone charger' does the same happen ?
I always thought it might be a power issue, considering newer Hyundai cars iirc even with permanently live fuses showing 12v+ the dash cams will not power on unless the vehicle is started.

Update on this one: I recommended that the Ford ecosport customer unplug the rear camera and so far with a few days use, the 522 has shown no signs of issue. Since the rear camera has been replaced each time as well it’s very unlikely to be a defective unit (not ruling out yet wether something within the 522 at a component level is either faulty or subpar so to speak).

I will recommend the other customers to do the same and compile the results and go from there.

Just putting my personal experience in here, I have had a 522GW for coming up on a year now, its hopefully being replaced with a vantrue E2 but overall the camera never caused much issue. I only had the front camera and from what I can see a lot of issues stem from using rear cam units. The one issue I had was it not recording on startup. The unit was promptly replaced free of charge and has been faultless since. But just because this is my experience doesn't make it universal. Always feel bad for people working for halfords or the sorts with how many of these are brought back with issues. Hopefully nextbases next line up is far better.

We've seen many posts here where the SDCard has been too slow on single camera setups so I can understand why 2 cameras trying to record onto 1 card can be a problem waiting to happen.

Hi all, hope you are all well, and hopefully since were on a 522gw sub not to many problems. Disclaimer I'm a technician for a UK company that installs in car tech.

The long story short myself and another technician are pulling hairs out basically over these units, we have seen multiple come back into the shop over the last year or so and increasingly more so the last few months.
Its always the same story, freezes, lockup, unable to turn off the owners either leave the units to deplete the battery or press the reset button underneath to get them going again for a short while.

Nextbase support have been amazing as per normal so cannot fault them at all but the brand is certainly being let down by the units at the moment. We didnt seem to see the same problem with the 312/512's.

So at the beginning of the week we receive a phone call from one customer with the freezing issue, and booked them in to asses the unit etc and lo and behold another Dash-cam is booked in via customer support upon checking the details its the same camera, same problem, so i decided to keep note of the units coming back in just for a reference.

The last two days alone Ive had 4 522s back in with the same issue.

First one was installed in an Ford ecospsort 2014, the customer originally bought the 522 bundle deal back in February this year, has had 2 replacement units since then. The original issue was freezing/no power once ignition was switched off, so we switched the setup from a ignition live setup to permanent live setup. (Point to note: Nextbase tech support stated for all front and rear installs if parking mode is wanted then they have to be hardwired in permanent live as the internal batteries do not contain enough power).
The unit still froze so booked back in, we followed the usual protocol check the power cable/fuse, format SD-card, replace SD-card and format, check and update firmware if needed, each time having to reset the unit to get a response.
Then explained the problem and what we had checked with Nextbase technical support, ends in "unit shouldnt do that its faulty needs replacing". Each time they have been back in its been the same process and the same response and to clarify each replacement has been a full bundle uninstall and new reinstall including replacing the hard-wire kit.
So with the above customer/car it was replaced circa in July, then again in September. the customer has now reverted to resetting the dash cam every time it freezes when able to do so safely, which i was informed is 3-5 times a day, so but has zero confidence with the unit.

Ford galaxy 2022, same issue, fitted front and rear bundle 3 weeks ago, customer has had it freeze every couple of days, again same process as above reset replace SD-card see how they get on, phone call half an hour later unit has froze again. Will be booking in for a assessment and more than likely a replacement.

Citroen C3 2012 same as above around 2 months back, the customer doesn't drive often so only noticed the camera wasnt recording the last few days, again freezing and unresponsive, carried out a reset check the firmware version (latest) formatted the SD-card and let the customer know any problems pop back in.

Kia Sportage 2018, as above, kept freezing, reset the camera it froze within 2 seconds, replaced the SD-card and unwittingly left the rear camera out didn't freeze. plugged the rear camera back on and it froze 2 mins later. Rang tech support replacement advised. We have since refitted and has had it freeze once since was told to reset and hasnt had an issue since but isn't a happy customer.

Now noting the rear camera being unplugged on the Kia Sportage and not having the main unit lock up I've since gone back to the Ford Ecosport customer who will be on their 4th 522gw bundle if we replace it again, to unplug the rear camera, and see if it does/doesn't lock up again.
That particular customer has had everything changed multiple times, the only thing we cannot change is the flaming car itself. (does seem to be a reoccurring theme with fords but could be they are more common than most other brands).

If it doesn't freeze by simply removing the rear camera it will mean the 522s are not fit for purpose as a dual camera. If it does freeze again quite frankly myself and the other techs will be out of ideas. I need to have a word with Nextbase support either way and find out if they have noticed any issues with certain cars brands of cars and if so will reccomend alternatives to said brands/models in the future.

Other than ringing Nextbase after following the process they outline each time and getting yet again another replacement which seems extremely futile we have no answers to why the 522gw and on occasion other models keep freezing.

Appreciate this is one hell of a post but to any body with a 522gw with an issue please note you are not alone, get in touch with nextbase support and ge the units checked out/ replaced. If the problem keeps rearing its ugly head maybe the only option is an alternative brand unfortunately.

Have a good christmass all. I will post updates where possible and if we get any concrete fixes etc.
Some possible solutions
1. Is it possible that these motorists drive over rough roads?
The power is connected via the base and the base magnetically connects to the Dashcam. With any jarring force it may bounce the connector enough to disconnect the power.

2. Charge the battery for 4 hours when first installed. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.

3 Monitor the power draw and fluctuations.
You may need a digital scope for that.

I suggest that because you mentioned some units have been replaced and it still happens.

Your also mention that in some cases if the rear camera is disconnected it doesn't happen.

4. Place a new unit on a test bench with a power supply of a high enough current that you can rule that out current draw and monitor if it reboots.

5. Do these motorists use the Alexa via the MyNextbase Connect app?
This may be a common denominator between these motorists. Perhaps signal loss.

I don't own a Nextbase 522gw Dashcam or tested one but put these suggestions forward as things to consider if you haven't already.

This sarcasm what! Lol ... dashcam seems to have many options which can make it even harder to resolve problems.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi

I found this discussion on the back of a google search, as I also have had freezing issues on this terrible 522GW for the past 6 months (outside warranty of course)
I'll try and summarise my own findings

Using just the front camera on it's own, is absolutely fine. It's when the rear camera is attached when things become unreliable as many people, including you are experiencing.

Nextbase will give you many things to test/confirm such as
- Must use an official nextbase memory card (yes I am, and tried very high spec other cards as a test)
- Formatting every 2-3 weeks (yes but why on earth should you need to when it should automatically overwrite the oldest data as expected)
- ensuring the cable connecting the rear camera is fully connected (yes)
- firmware updated, yes latest one being a couple of months ago only
- hardwired / cigarette lighter - both have been tried. Currently I'm back to just being hardwired.

I've since been trying different tests to see the results, such as parking mode off, turn off alexa (dont want it anyway) - basically reducing the processing the unit makes when it's turned on.

The longest time I had no freezing issues when using both front and rear cameras was when turning off the dual file format. You know where it records both a low and high quality video file, I thought maybe it's giving the processor too much work recording two videos and then two files one HQ one LQ. I thought I found the solution, as just high quality video files worked I'd say for a good 3 maybe 4 weeks of not being frozen. Then of course driving along I see it's frozen, and keep a small screw handy to reset the camera, and it continued to again keep freezing every couple of weeks or less.

Now I'm back to just using it as a front camera only, as I really cannot trust the unit and having to keep an eye on it whilst driving. The biggest fear being if an incident did happen, and the thing never recorded anything!

Therefore I'm curious to read of anyone elses tips, if any which resolves the issues. Otherwise my only alternative thinking is leaving the 522GW record as a front camera only knowing I can at least have journies recorded with pretty much 100% peace of mind, and buying another cheaper camera for the rear and hardwiring that one also. I just don't think the 522GW is capable of recording two video files at once no matter what spec SD card you have (nextbase as recommended or the fastest other branded)

I use my 522GW with rear-view attached looking through the car, plugged into cigarette lighter socket, no Alexa or Bluetooth both turned off, do not connect to phone, and do not have any parking mode turned on.
I do check the indicator lights each time I drive to ensure it is functioning properly, and do format the SD card every 2 weeks or so.
It does record both front and rear in both high and low resolution.
I take the camera out of the car to my laptop to download any videos I want to keep.
It does work for me, but definitely not as reliably as the Garmin 67W in other car, which always works and connects to phone seamlessly to download and format SD card.

hmmm yeah I've also tried all that, the alexa gimmick I was never interested in, purely bought for having both front and rear in one camera sounded ideal. I'll try again some more tests, a case of trial and error until I notice a difference it not a resolution to my own. Already have alexa and bluetooth off, basically purely getting the camera to simply do it's job and record without any additional tasks switched on.
The only thing I just noticed I never had fitted was the ferrite core thing, but that's to help with interferrence of a DAB radio signal - which actually I was wandering about why my DAB wasn't working when on the way home trying to listen to an England match during the world cup!! - I've just fitted it now, nearest to the rear camera as on an Audi A3 apparently this is the area my DAB is, but also thinking or moreso hoping the ferrite core may help with the freezing (probably not at all!)

So my latest test setup is
- video settings - 1080p 60fps (not 1440 30fps)
- dual files off, single HQ file only
- parking mode off
- connect apps all off (alexa / mynextbase)
- rear camera reconnected on cable, clicks, and even added secure tape on it which is probably overkill
- nextbase 64gb card formatted once again

Will see how it goes now, doing all the above shouldn't be neccessary but interested to find out if it helps at all as I run out of ideas before opting for a whole new make/model such as a Vantrue E2 I've read good things about, except the cabling on the rear and front cameras are an eyesore sticking where they are connected

on a sidenote, what a stupid design the rear camera is on that magnetic ball. Everytime the boot would be opened/closed the camera would end up facing whichever way it rolled. Ended up using superglue to keep it in place dead centre

Couldn’t agree more about rear camera design, to a total failure. I overcame by mounting the supplied mount on a metal bracket then attaching the home made to the plastic trim, for me works well but should not have had to go to all the bother. Don’t use Alexa , blue tooth, parking mode or dual recording.

Couldn’t agree more about rear camera design, to a total failure. I overcame by mounting the supplied mount on a metal bracket then attaching the home made to the plastic trim, for me works well but should not have had to go to all the bother. Don’t use Alexa , blue tooth, parking mode or dual recording.
I see you've been extremely lucky using this for 4 years now, for me it's been a case of trial and error for quite a few months now. At present I'm even formatting on my windows desktop the memory card, unticking quick format as suggested by nextbase. Should take around half hour to slowly format. Will then have another go along with my latest menu selections to see if the freezing improves or goes away. I don't have much hope to be honest, the vantrue e2 is sitting in my amazon basket ready to be clicked.

Hello all, sorry it’s been a while since the last update, we’ve been absolutely flat out with installations.

Anyway as a recap I contacted tech support beginning of December, they said there was no specific names or models of cars they were having issues with, however they were having issues with cars with AGM/ Stop start, basically each time the engine shut down it was causing a voltage drop enough to cause sd card write errors and freezing the camera.

They also said to update to the latest firmware which we already had they basically fobbed the problem off as it must be the customers cars.

I rang again at the end of December spoke to a different member of tech support basically going through the same problem what we had tried etc. unplugging the rear camera zero issues.

They said there are “no known issues”. Keep this point in mind as they reiterated it twice.

I then had the ecosport customer back in obviously by this point has zero faith in the dashcam as it understandably was a liability and couldn’t be relied on, we went 2 weeks with the rear camera unplugged no problem, plugged it in and voila froze within minutes.

So went to request a RMA from nextbase customer support as the dashcam in the car was next to useless.

I reiterated what I’d told the previous tech and the one before that and the units each time being RMA’d the problem must be the car according to your techs, the techs reply was and I quote “ Ah I think I know what the problem is, the camera needs updating”, I said it is updated via the app to the latest one iirc ver 22/23 (can’t remember which) No further updates available according to the app. “Ah there’s a newer firmware available as the previous two versions were causing freezing when a rear camera was plugged in, you have to go to the firmware update download page and manually install it or we can post out sdcard with the update on”

They wouldn’t RMA the unit which the customer was rightly now fuming with nextbase and said they felt nextbase didn’t care.

Being told by tech support they didn’t know of any known issues in that time frame is frankly ridiculous someone would have been working in a patch to implement the new code base for the firmware, no way they didn’t know of a problem.

To keep the trust in the brand all they had to say was yeah we know of an issue with the firmware we’re working on it. However if a customer wants to return the unit as at this moment in time the software is faulty that’s not an issue.

So for all those with freezing issues still go to the firmware download page with nextbase and manually install it onto the dashcam. Hopefully that sorts the issue.

Last edited:
There must be a firmware update number available. I looked on my computer only last week and there where no updates available. I currently have 22.8 loaded.

There must be a firmware update number available. I looked on my computer only last week and there where no updates available. I currently have 22.8 loaded.
As far as I know both the software for pc/mac and the app do not show the latest update, since the tech support said customers will have to manually install the update. Either by downloading directly or if they do not have access to a pc then give Nextbase your contact details and they will ship an Sd card with the update on to you. Not a fan of how they have dealt with it this far but hopefully the update works.

Links below both mac and pc based.

Followed the links above. I’m sorry to say ‘above my pay grade’, so, as I do not have a problem with freeze framing I’ll let this one pass. But just an observation, the pictures in the link show a 522 screen showing it’s current firmware at 15.0, that is pretty old. So just how long have they known about this inherent fault, I’m starting to think it hasn’t been just discovered or a solution found.

Followed the links above. I’m sorry to say ‘above my pay grade’, so, as I do not have a problem with freeze framing I’ll let this one pass. But just an observation, the pictures in the link show a 522 screen showing it’s current firmware at 15.0, that is pretty old. So just how long have they known about this inherent fault, I’m starting to think it hasn’t been just discovered or a solution found.
My thinking exactly, I suspect they’ve had the problem for ages, and cover it up with the it’s a firmware problem just update it, and caveat is once it’s out of warranty the end user doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

Not best pleased with the brand in their transparency over the issue when we install and deal with the problems.

Back