not recording sometimes

Buzz-cp

Reaction score
Country
United States
My A118 seems to be not recording sometimes. It is recording most of the time. For example today, I left work to get lunch. I checked the A118 and it said it was recording, yet when I pull the SD card, there is no footage. It recorded the trip back to work. It also missed my journey to work in the morning. This seems to be happening every other day or so.

I scanned through the threads, and the only thing I found is the to turn off the collision detection or the idle time. I have idle time at 5, and collision is off, so I'm rather confused.

Welcome to forum !

1. check if motion detection is OFF
2. format memory card inside dashcam

What card are you using? I had a lot of problems with recoding due to the cards.

I am using sandisk 64GB Class 10. Specifically model SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A.

Sandisk is hit-and-miss with many dashcams and not recommended. Try other cards like: Lexar, Trasncend.

Sandisk is hit-and-miss with many dashcams and not recommended. Try other cards like: Lexar, Trasncend.

I've had problems with SanDisk in the past even though they return the correct speeds in testing, same with the Samsung EVO cards.

I've had problems with SanDisk in the past even though they return the correct speeds in testing, same with the Samsung EVO cards.
It's not their speeds that's the issue. It's the way they handle low level formats, internal to the card itself. It's different from most other manufacturers. In theory it shouldn't matter but apparently it does, and shows up in cameras like this that constantly write to the card. Doesn't show up in cell phones or other stuff since they don't constantly write to the card, but mostly just read, which is much more gentle on the SD card than writing is.

Aye I think we established that this was what was happening so I got some store bought PNY 64GB cards and they were fine. I've now replaced these with 128GB Integral cards from MyMemory because the bitrate of the SG cams were eating up too much space and they are working perfectly also.

Strangely I've got an EVO card running in my ION cam and it's fine?!

Last edited:
I also have this problem of the A118 not recording all the time. It seems to randomly miss one or more 3 or 5 minute segments (depending on which time I've selected). I've changed the SD card and am now using a new Samsung 32GB class 10 card, but it hasn't made any difference. I've checked that Motion Detection is turned off and reformatted the SD card in the dashcam. Any further suggestions?
Also, can anyone tell me what the EV setting is all about, and also the HDR? I can't find any refer

Check if g sensor is on. If so your missing files may be in the RO (read-only) folder on the SD card.

EV = exposure value. Used to lighten or darken the video such as when the camera is looking through a tinted window for example. I never changed mine from zero.

HDR = high dynamic range. Gives better quality video in most conditions, so it's best to leave this on.

Check if g sensor is on. If so your missing files may be in the RO (read-only) folder on the SD card.

EV = exposure value. Used to lighten or darken the video such as when the camera is looking through a tinted window for example. I never changed mine from zero.

HDR = high dynamic range. Gives better quality video in most conditions, so it's best to leave this on.
Thank you so much for your helpful info. I did an 80km round trip this morning since reformatting the SD card in the dashcam and its working perfectly. We're heading off this week on a 4 month trip through central and northern Australia and its great knowing its working so we can capture things we see along the way. On our last trip all the interesting bits were in the missing segments!! Many thanks again, Andrew.

It's been awhile, but here is my response all directions provided in this thread:
Try other card
Purchased new SD Card--Kingston SDC10G2/64GB UHS Class 1
1. check if motion detection is Off
yes
2. format memory card inside dashcam
did this
3. check if g-sensor on
it's off
4. missing files in RO folder
nope
5. EV setting 0
Set to 0, but why?
6. HDR set on
yes

So I'm still having issues--randomly, some of my journeys do not begin recording until like 2-5 minutes in.

Thanks for all the help/ideas. Is there anything else I am missing?

do you have a different power supply you can try?
You mean replace the power supply I tediously ran across my window and sticked along the sides and under console? I'm not keen on replacing that but I might have a mini-USB and 2A charger to mess with.

However I was paying closer attention today when I started up my car--whether it began recording. It did a few times, but then at one point it said CARD ERROR. I had another short journey after that that was recorded. The journey where it said CARD ERROR was not. So should I re-format the card or look for another card again? (sorry I'm frustrated)

You mean replace the power supply I tediously ran across my window and sticked along the sides and under console? I'm not keen on replacing that but I might have a mini-USB and 2A charger to mess with.

However I was paying closer attention today when I started up my car--whether it began recording. It did a few times, but then at one point it said CARD ERROR. I had another short journey after that that was recorded. The journey where it said CARD ERROR was not. So should I re-format the card or look for another card again? (sorry I'm frustrated)

it's generally either power or memory card related, you can bypass the current power lead to test with a different one, checking the card is wise also

Back