Overheating?

memory card isn't going to cause it to overheat

That’s exactly what I initially thought. But when I replied to some one here. Just like you did. Someone from blackboxmycar replied that they actually have seen this. Another customer had an overheating issue.. well.. his dash cam.. lol. And the problem followed the SD card to another dash cam. And that is why I decided to try the 64 gig one.

That’s exactly what I initially thought. But when I replied to some one here. Just like you did. Someone from blackboxmycar replied that they actually have seen this. Another customer had an overheating issue.. well.. his dash cam.. lol. And the problem followed the SD card to another dash cam. And that is why I decided to try the 64 gig one.

Is actually on this thread.. if you guys look up a little.

Doesn't hurt to try another card, just good troubleshooting. However it appears this dashcam just runs hot, and it has lower thermal cutoff than the DR750 which doesn't help.

Is actually on this thread.. if you guys look up a little.
That's correct, however, that was for the Thinkware F800 PRO sometime last year as well.
The issue is resolved with a new SD card. I thought I'd share the story to see if that was the issue here.

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

Doesn't hurt to try another card, just good troubleshooting. However it appears this dashcam just runs hot, and it has lower thermal cutoff than the DR750 which doesn't help.

Yes it has a lower thermal cutoff. But today it was 78 dregrees on an initial cool and overcast morning. There is no way the truck got that hot for the cam to reach that cutoff..

That's correct, however, that was for the Thinkware F800 PRO sometime last year as well.
The issue is resolved with a new SD card. I thought I'd share the story to see if that was the issue here.

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

Thanks for the reply. Even if it was for a different brand. It just shows us. That it is possible for the sd card to be causing the overheating. And now I don’t think that’s the case with the BV 900..

Here is a reply directly from Blackvue.. does it make sense to you guys? And if it does. Why would they allow advertisent and sales of this product in sunny California? The thing is useless in parking mode. If is going to be shutting down every 30 to 40 minutes.. stay off up to 30 minutes and back on.

The post Overheating has a new comment.

Noman

Hello Oscar

The cutoff temperature ( 167 degree Fahrenheit) mentioned on the manual is the temperature just around the dashcam. If the car is parked outside with 74F temperature of the air, the inside temperature of car could reach upto 141 degree if the windows are closed and in that case, the device temperature seems to be increasing the threshold of 167 degree causing the device to shut down.

We advise you to please avoid parking your car under sun or open the car windows a bit to avoid an increase in temperature. In this way you will keep the dashcam from malfunctioning.

Let us know If you have any further questions.

Thank you

View the comment. “

Ah. That's a good idea. Leave your windows open when parked.:wacky::bigtears::jawdrop:
No thanks, I'd rather not give Mr. thief easy access.

Is there any alternative dashcam that can survive the real world heat of a California summer?

At this point I'm willing to return this damn near $900 system. And it doesn't have to be 4k.

I've reformatted the blackvue SD card and it did seem to last longer in the heat though which is promising.

I bought the blackvue because of all the marketing hype and found out about this heat thing right after my purchase.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I should cut the product some slack though because Saturday it got to 104 and it shut down probably when it was mid 90's.

I'm not getting notifications logged about it overheating though.

Just gaps in the footage.
7c3e58d33de3c3f10cdb9b7cd5c258d9.jpg

FWIW the DR750S has a higher temp cutoff and it uses less power, so in theory it shouldn't overheat as quickly.

I think the upcoming Street Guardian SG9663DR will be good for parking mode. It will have two remote camera and the main DVR will be able to be put somewhere out of the sun. So that part will not get as hot. The camera parts themselves shouldn't generate as much heat. However I don't believe this will have buffered parking mode.

Reactions: RLS
Is there any alternative dashcam that can survive the real world heat of a California summer?

At this point I'm willing to return this damn near $900 system. And it doesn't have to be 4k.

I've reformatted the blackvue SD card and it did seem to last longer in the heat though which is promising.

I bought the blackvue because of all the marketing hype and found out about this heat thing right after my purchase.

I’m in SoCal, and I have a few black on black cars, with tints. Very few dashcams survive Parking Mode in them. For the cars with sunroof, I pop it up when parked.

Well, my Street Guardian dashcams (I have every model of theirs...) are the only ones that have survived Parking mode in the summer lol. Oh, wait there’s the OPIA2 and a Mobius lmao.

No other dashcam can take the heat. This includes: DR650, DR750, DR900, F800, F800 Pro, A119, A119 Pro, etc etc.

On a high 80’sF day, I came back to the car with the DR750 overheated. Used my laser temp reader, and it was at 170 or so. Of course, once i opened up the car, and started driving, it came back to life. For this car, I am now running 2x Street Guardian SGZC12RC’s :)

I’m in SoCal, and I have a few black on black cars, with tints. Very few dashcams survive Parking Mode in them. For the cars with sunroof, I pop it up when parked.

Well, my Street Guardian dashcams (I have every model of theirs...) are the only ones that have survived Parking mode in the summer lol. Oh, wait there’s the OPIA2 and a Mobius lmao.

No other dashcam can take the heat. This includes: DR650, DR750, DR900, F800, F800 Pro, A119, A119 Pro, etc etc.

On a high 80’sF day, I came back to the car with the DR750 overheated. Used my laser temp reader, and it was at 170 or so. Of course, once i opened up the car, and started driving, it came back to life. For this car, I am now running 2x Street Guardian SGZC12RC’s :)

FYI: We expect to have a next-generation replacement product for the SGZC12RC this year.

Add me to the list of disappointed

Upgraded a few 650s to 900s and now frequently get the overheating warning (even though all my vehicles have ceramic tint on all glass including windshields, etc) ... I no longer have the 650s so can't tell you for sure, but I do know that the 650s didn't "disconnect" a lot while parked outside in the sun, which is what I think they would do if they were overheating

*golf clap* Blackvue

Add me to the list of disappointed

Upgraded a few 650s to 900s and now frequently get the overheating warning (even though all my vehicles have ceramic tint on all glass including windshields, etc) ... I no longer have the 650s so can't tell you for sure, but I do know that the 650s didn't "disconnect" a lot while parked outside in the sun, which is what I think they would do if they were overheating

*golf clap* Blackvue

Just FYI.. and just for the last 24 hours. I changed the setting from 4K to FHD@30 + FHD@30 and the outside temp got to 92 degrees F. Before I received the first “is overheating” message . The camera didn’t turn off. But it did the second time.
I will keep an eye on it for a few days and report back.

Just FYI.. and just for the last 24 hours. I changed the setting from 4K to FHD@30 + FHD@30 and the outside temp got to 92 degrees F. Before I received the first “is overheating” message . The camera didn’t turn off. But it did the second time.
I will keep an eye on it for a few days and report back.

We shouldnt have to compromise and have to change settings to something lower than what we paid for. The 4k quality looks amazing when theres enough light, but when its dark, its useless. Its also useless if theres gaps in recording during parking mode

Reactions: Tfp
We shouldnt have to compromise and have to change settings to something lower than what we paid for. The 4k quality looks amazing when theres enough light, but when its dark, its useless. Its also useless if theres gaps in recording during parking mode

I agree. But I’m curious of how it will handle the heat at lower resolution. If it does better. They should be able to fix it with an update.
If it doesn’t. Than I would think is a hardware issue. And than I would need to replace it for something else.

Hi guys, here is a reply from BlackVue. I think they made an obvious typo when referring to 12 degrees C, but nonetheless, they are aware of the issue.

Noman
(BlackVue)
Jul 11, 23:14 PDT

Hello VSGCowboy

It is true that we are working on the scenario to overcome the exceeded temperature shut down issue. The threshold is not set very low but is adequate to the operating level of all electronic devices.

The issue is when the car is parked under sunlight during day time, with the camera running, the temperature inside the car reaches about 65 degree Celicus which makes the inside temperature of dashcam more than 12 degree celcius, a temperature inimical to any electronic device.

We took into consideration that an outside temperature of 30 degree Celcius is normal and users cannot avoid parking the car under sun, for this reason we are devising a strategy to lower the processing of dashcam during parking mode. Lower processing could help in less heat generation.

Hope it answers your query.
Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards
BlackVue Support Team

That being said, I have purchased one that is scheduled to be installed Tuesday the 17th. At this point I am seriously considering changing to a different dashcam. I have chatted online with several retailers, and one of them recommended the F800 Pro to survive the scorching southern heat in parking mode.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks!

Hi guys, here is a reply from BlackVue. I think they made an obvious typo when referring to 12 degrees C, but nonetheless, they are aware of the issue.

Noman (BlackVue)
Jul 11, 23:14 PDT

Hello VSGCowboy

It is true that we are working on the scenario to overcome the exceeded temperature shut down issue. The threshold is not set very low but is adequate to the operating level of all electronic devices.

The issue is when the car is parked under sunlight during day time, with the camera running, the temperature inside the car reaches about 65 degree Celicus which makes the inside temperature of dashcam more than 12 degree celcius, a temperature inimical to any electronic device.

We took into consideration that an outside temperature of 30 degree Celcius is normal and users cannot avoid parking the car under sun, for this reason we are devising a strategy to lower the processing of dashcam during parking mode. Lower processing could help in less heat generation.

Hope it answers your query.
Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards
BlackVue Support Team

That being said, I have purchased one that is scheduled to be installed Tuesday the 17th. At this point I am seriously considering changing to a different dashcam. I have chatted online with several retailers, and one of them recommended the F800 Pro to survive the scorching southern heat in parking mode.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks!

I’ve read the F800 Pro has been having its share of issues.
To me. I just dislike thinkware the company. I had the F800. And was going to get the F800 Pro because of the cloud service they keep trying to sell it on. But I’m sure you have read about the ridiculous cloud features it has. Like sending you an alert to events while you’re in the car. And they don’t communicate with the public.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 19
V DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 22
Back