Overheating?

from the reply it sounds like they're going to wind back the settings while parked which is a good idea, some users have been complaining about it shutting down from heat while driving though so I'm not sure that's going to cure all the problems, they may need to wind back the bitrate in normal mode also

At least they are acknowledging the issue, lol.

I’ve read the F800 Pro has been having its share of issues.
To me. I just dislike thinkware the company. I had the F800. And was going to get the F800 Pro because of the cloud service they keep trying to sell it on. But I’m sure you have read about the ridiculous cloud features it has. Like sending you an alert to events while you’re in the car. And they don’t communicate with the public.

I have not read about any issues really, though cloud is of no concern at all to me regardless of brand. I just wont be connecting the dashcams to the internet at all.

At this point, I am just looking for a good dual camera setup to be installed Tuesday, and the shop only has the BlackVue 900s, 750s, and the Thinkware F800 Pro. I need dual channel, and great heat resistance.

Sadly, I have to have this taken care of on this date because there are no professional installers in my area. I literally am driving 6 hours to have it done, and made the appointment and booked hotel based on raving reviews of the 900s. It was only after everything was booked that I read about the overheating issues.

I usually never rush into things like I have here, but our brand new vehicle just got out of the shop after it had the back bashed in by a hit and run in the parking lot of a store while we were inside. I am trying to have a dash cam system in place in case this ever happened again (In addition to driving incidents.)

I know I should have done this as soon as I purchased the vehicle, but I just didn't.

Sorry for the dissertation!

of the models you have available personally I would choose the 750s

Could you elaborate on that choice please? I am still trying to learn more about everything, and only started researching DashCams about a week ago.

Could you elaborate on that choice please? I am still trying to learn more about everything, and only started researching DashCams about a week ago.
750s has better video performance than the Thinkware, in quite a lot of situations it will have better video performance than the 900s also, the 900s will do well on bright sunny days (providing it doesn't overheat) but once the lighting drops off the 750s will deliver a better result, the Thinkware does parking mode better (not sure if that is a consideration for you or not) but that aside the 750s would be the pick of the three you have mentioned

750s has better video performance than the Thinkware, in quite a lot of situations it will have better video performance than the 900s also, the 900s will do well on bright sunny days (providing it doesn't overheat) but once the lighting drops off the 750s will deliver a better result, the Thinkware does parking mode better (not sure if that is a consideration for you or not) but that aside the 750s would be the pick of the three you have mentioned

Parking mode is a HUGE consideration for me, in fact, it is top on my list.

That is the reason that I have been considering the F800 Pro, even though the video quality seems to be inferior in most videos I have seen (except at night.)

Parking mode is a HUGE consideration for me, in fact, it is top on my list.

That is the reason that I have been considering the F800 Pro, even though the video quality seems to be inferior in most videos I have seen (except at night.)

yeah they don't have great video quality but it's passable I guess, if none of the cloud based stuff is of interest (Thinkware's cloud service doesn't seem great from what others have said) then see if you can get the F770, it's cheaper and saves you paying for things you won't use

yeah they don't have great video quality but it's passable I guess, if none of the cloud based stuff is of interest (Thinkware's cloud service doesn't seem great from what others have said) then see if you can get the F770, it's cheaper and saves you paying for things you won't use

Sadly this shop only just started carrying Thinkware, and the only 2 models they carry are the F100, and the F800 Pro.

I really wish BlackVue had better heat resistance and parking mode, because I feel like I am sacrificing so much quality for a solid parking mode.

the reality is you can't run high bitrate/high resolution video when parked, it generates too much heat, Thinkware will survive better due to the low bitrate but that's also a trade off as they have lower quality overall

if parking mode is important then you would be better off with the F800, sure video isn't as good as the others but it's going to work better for parking mode, it also has voltage cutoff built in, you don't need to buy a power magic pro like you would with the Blackvue so it's a neater install

the reality is you can't run high bitrate/high resolution video when parked, it generates too much heat, Thinkware will survive better due to the low bitrate but that's also a trade off as they have lower quality overall

if parking mode is important then you would be better off with the F800, sure video isn't as good as the others but it's going to work better for parking mode, it also has voltage cutoff built in, you don't need to buy a power magic pro like you would with the Blackvue so it's a neater install

That makes perfect sense. I do like that the Thinkware is a cleaner install. I just contacted the shop and told them my concerns. They still recommended the 900, but said that they are more than happy to change to whatever I want. They told me that I can change it anytime, even when I arrive to have it installed. So now I have all weekend to decide, but I still think the Thinkware is the safest bet.

Weather not quite as good as it can get here in Denmark, then the past week i have seen temperatures around 43 - 45 degree C / 109 - 113 F ,,,,,, in my glove box.

Dont even dare to think what the cameras cooking on my windscreen reach, then again i am not using parking guard,,,,,, at the moment.

Hi all

New member here, this is my first post.

I bought the 900 a few weeks ago and while it's currently winter where I live, I have been following these 'overheating' threads with interest as summer here has really intense sunlight, and where I regularly park for work has little to no shade.

Of course I want to use parking mode while away from the vehicle.

For the various tests that people have been doing over the last week or so, changing resolution etc, one thing that has been missing is the statement of the parking mode settings being used e.g. is motion detection on or not, or is just the G-sensor being used.

Does anyone know if you turn motion detection off, whether there is less processing going on, as the unit isn't constantly comparing what it sees now with what it saw a moment ago? Or is image comparison actually always happening even if you turn motion detection off?

I know that the unit is always buffering an image, but is it always comparing images or not.

My thinking is if using the G-sensors only can lower the processing load on the unit, then maybe this will lower the temperature a bit?

Not an ideal solution if your use case requires using motion detection, but it would still mean some level of protection while parked.

Can anyone comment on this - ranova - you got time to test this?

Cheers!

Tony

PS Another thought I've had, is has anyone tried to provide some 'shade' for their camera? e.g. a small strip of very dark window tint film installed directly above the camera on the windshield, obviously positioned to provide shade from above, but not to block the view of the camera? My thinking is if the unit itself isn't in direct sunlight, then again I would expect this to lower the temp.

if it's buffering it's working, you're not writing to disk so there is a little bit of a saving there but the differences aren't great

'shade' for their camera

Most of my cameras ( tester ) are placed on the large dotted sunshade area of my windscreen, but as it is not massive it only block / absorb 50% or so of the incoming light, and that light transformed to heat energy have to go somewhere as radiating heat, and thats into my cameras too.
So i dont really think there are any saving unless that is its something like a mirror that reflect all the light back into space.

I think the general function of tinted windows are to stop the sun from getting deep inside your car and heat up stuff in there, i remember my first car that had black faux leather seats, not fun to sit or lean up against on a hot summer day.
So tint stop the sun on the windscreen, but thats also where most cameras are, though some are spaced off by up to a inch or so depending on mount type.

I would agree based on your need for parking mode
Yes, I think that is what I am going to go with. It's sad, I wanted 4K, but it just doesn't seem like the 900s was quite ready when they released it.

BlackVue really should look into eliminating the need for the extra device needed for voltage monitoring, and do it on board like Thinkware.

As far as heat resistant Dash Cams go, today an online retailer told me about an upcoming IROAD X9 that is supposed to be heat resistant, and function up to 194 F. Sounds promising.

As far as heat resistant Dash Cams go, today an online retailer told me about an upcoming IROAD X9 that is supposed to be heat resistant, and function up to 194 F. Sounds promising.

take that with a pinch of salt, it's beyond the operating temp of the hardware

take that with a pinch of salt, it's beyond the operating temp of the hardware

I have learned to take most things with a grain of salt. They also mentioned that it featured an all glass design on the lens (maybe they meant the sensor?)

The camera’s Sony Starvis sensor is an all glass design, which prevents the lenses from shifting or warping when the weather gets hotter, which has been a well known concern seen with other dash cams in this category.

Wouldn't that apply to EVERY camera using the Sony Starvis sensor? If so, that is misleading.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 19
V DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 22
Back