Overheating?

I don’t really appreciate the 4K difference they advertise. Yes the picture looks prettier... lol..
But when you need to get into detail.. there isn’t really that much difference.. I don’t even think the images are 4K.. my tv doesn’t think so. 4K at night or in the dark is no good. But a software update could enhance the night time recording. Even if it meant doing it without the 4K...
but than again.... is a numbers thing....

Well the video resolution is 3840x2160 on the DR900S-2CH with a bitrate of 25192 kbps, this is the size of a 4K image/video. There is a huge difference with 4K resolution when compared to the common resolutions for dashcams like 1080p, 4 times the detail in fact and of course it's a numbers thing! It isn't letters lol

Yep!

Window film is pretty much all marketing BS. I like having tinted windows for privacy and aesthetics, but they do little to actually keep your interior cool.

Vehicles are basically ovens, and the heat comes in through ALL areas, not just windows. A huge amount of heat comes in through the metal roofs of vehicles.

Window film marketers use heat lamp box tests and similar gimmicks to show how many BTUs/heat/etc, that their film rejects. They NEVER talk about all of the other ways your car gets hot.

I have Toyota high solar energy absorbing (HSEA) glass & Madico WINCOS film, and my vehicle was literally 180F on the inside today. I tested this with a digital thermometer. The outside temperature was 92F at the time. FYI my vehicle was in direct sunlight.

This is akin to saying diets are all marketing BS ... everyone is eventually going to die anyway, so what's the point

If you use ceramic, your interior will heat up less quickly than a non tinted vehicle ... after X hours, sure, the ceramic tinted interior will get very hot but the non tinted vehicle will be even hotter

This is akin to saying diets are all marketing BS ... everyone is eventually going to die anyway, so what's the point

If you use ceramic, your interior will heat up less quickly than a non tinted vehicle ... after X hours, sure, the ceramic tinted interior will get very hot but the non tinted vehicle will be even hotter

Womp Womp!

Personally I think the sun shields that are commonly used help a lot. At least I feel the difference when I forget to use it at work if I end up having to park facing the sun.
I no longer use it since I started using the dash cams. They just make it worse for the cam.
My whole point is. If a sunshield can make that much difference in the overall temp inside the vehicle. And a film can do the same or near the same. I think it would help with the cams temp. Since is not lining behind the cam like a regular sunshield does.. been held by the mirror.

I don't know if it helps, I know there are much hotter places than the UK, but we're currently in a heatwave, with temps as high as 32 C, and my Viofo A129 sits in front of a silver foil reflective dash shield all day (albeit it is switched off). I've not had any issue with either melting or freezing / switching off.

I don’t really appreciate the 4K difference they advertise. Yes the picture looks prettier... lol..
But when you need to get into detail.. there isn’t really that much difference.. I don’t even think the images are 4K.. my tv doesn’t think so. 4K at night or in the dark is no good. But a software update could enhance the night time recording. Even if it meant doing it without the 4K...
but than again.... is a numbers thing....

True 4K makes a huge difference to recognising number plates at distance or expanding the picture close up. The current issue with 4K sensors, which is why they're not widely used, is most have very poor low light performance compared to the best 1080P sensors.

I don't know if it helps, I know there are much hotter places than the UK, but we're currently in a heatwave, with temps as high as 32 C, and my Viofo A129 sits in front of a silver foil reflective dash shield all day (albeit it is switched off). I've not had any issue with either melting or freezing / switching off.

I wish the temp here only got to 32C, the highest this week so far was 42C! I also use the reflective sun shield, and it makes a bit of a difference, though I mainly use it so I don't burn my hands on the steering wheel.

True 4K makes a huge difference to recognising number plates at distance or expanding the picture close up. The current issue with 4K sensors, which is why they're not widely used, is most have very poor low light performance compared to the best 1080P sensors.

That is the main reason I went with a 1080p camera for the time being. As the technology matures, I will switch to a higher resolution systerm.

Update - I changed back to 264 still with max resolution and zero overheating issues. Not ideal but way way better than before. Vehicle was outside for 6 hours on a day when temp reached 100 F.

And us Limeys moan like hell when it gets to 30C (86F)

Update - I changed back to 264 still with max resolution and zero overheating issues. Not ideal but way way better than before. Vehicle was outside for 6 hours on a day when temp reached 100 F.

I tried that as well, still overheated but lasted much longer than 4k/x265. 1080p60/x265 also overheated

I'm keeping mine on the lowest possible setting. It'll still shut down after 4 hours if it's in the high 90's outside.

Is anyone receiving the actual Overheating Alerts/Notifications or events in log? I ain't getting jack [emoji35].

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm keeping mine on the lowest possible setting. It'll still shut down after 4 hours if it's in the high 90's outside.

Is anyone receiving the actual Overheating Alerts/Notifications or events in log? I ain't getting jack [emoji35].

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

youll only get stuff in the log if its connected to a wifi hotspot

Is the camera shutting down in parking mode, or when driving?

Is the camera shutting down in parking mode, or when driving?

a couple of users reported shutdown while driving, not too common, I think a bigger issue is users that had it shutdown while parked but then it was taking around 10 minutes of driving before it would come back on, that leaves you exposed, I would think for most people parking mode isn't as critical as having a camera that works while driving

a couple of users reported shutdown while driving, not too common, I think a bigger issue is users that had it shutdown while parked but then it was taking around 10 minutes of driving before it would come back on, that leaves you exposed, I would think for most people parking mode isn't as critical as having a camera that works while driving
I really hope this can be fixed before we roll into November!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So the last couple of days I have the settings at FHD@60 + DHD@30 and H264.
Today we’re at 104 degree F. And camera hasn’t shut down.

So the last couple of days I have the settings at FHD@60 + DHD@30 and H264.
Today we’re at 104 degree F. And camera hasn’t shut down.

So basically the equivalent of a DR750S.

Blackvue really dropped the ball on this one, I am so happy that I found this forum before purchasing this dud of a product.

not really, the DR750S will do much better in low light situations, it's probably their best model right now

I was just referring to the resolution/frame rate/codec.

I was just referring to the resolution/frame rate/codec.
yes I understand that, at the same resolutions the DR750S is going to give better results as they are the native resolution of the sensors it uses, so it's not the equivalent, the DR750S would be superior

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 19
V DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 22
Back