Pics that make you smile

92bfc94e733aaf1eb1379df533f54b75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

The slot cars I had as a kid were controlled by humans. And those humans liked to see how fast they could go before hitting a turn and flying off into the wall. :D

When I was a kid I was introduced to slot car racing as an open public competition on a large, 50 foot banked figure-eight track in NYC with 1/24 scale custom built kit cars and modified factory built cars where the goal was to not go flying off into the wall....or the spectators. :D

So yes, the cars were operated by humans at the throttle but "watching machines racing" was extraordinarily entertaining, if the number of spectators packed wall to wall into the room where those slot car races took place was any indication. :)
I suspect that watching powerful, outrageously fast, uncannily skilled AI machines racing against each other would be extraordinarily entertaining too. :smuggrin: AI Indy car racing could be kinda' like slot cars on ultra steroids! :happy:

Last edited:
I don't see the kids driving!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That's a promotional picture. They didn't really care as the whole setup was quite tame. Had to take almost a full length run before crashing for it to be any fun.

Cyclist on Motorway ( speeds 110 - 130 km/h )

Slovenian man on bicycle,,,,,, we get this a lot every year as we during summer get inundated by less than desirable people from the east/southeast.

I hope the facwtwitt link works as i can not go there myself.

I don't see the kids driving!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
They say the only difference between men & boys is the price of their toys.
I remember when I was young we used to go to Durban every December on holiday.
We used to have loads of fun on those bumper cars at the beach front amusement park.

All we had were these. Good old days! :)

View attachment 31609

We have bumper cars too. Really little kids get to ride with their parents but when they get a bit older they get to drive themselves. The kids can get pretty wild smashing into each other and for some it's a safe way to release a lot of pent up aggression. It was great fun when I was a kid when we would go to amusement parks like Coney Island.

Here in the US slot cars were a huge thing when I was a kid. It is still very popular all around the world. There was/is everything from HO scale as well as 1:32 and 1:24 scale. There are national and world championships and people build and customize cars in amazing ways. The real action is the 1:24 scale where one unit on the model is equivalent to 24 units in real life so a typical slot car model is about eight inches long. These bigger cars require large public tracks where competitors bring their own cars to the competitions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_car_racing#Formula-2000

I think driver-less AI racing would be a lot like slot car racing and enthusiasts would design and build their own cars and bring them to racing tracks just they way human driven cars often do today. No doubt there will be corporate sponsorships and all the rest of it.

slotcars.jpg

slots.jpg

Last edited:
Back