Pics that make you smile

40px-Screw_Head_-_Bristol.svg.png
40px-Screw_Head_-_Bristol.svg.png
How much is it allowed to "screw it up" here in the forum.
Here is a list of the most common

screws.jpg

A screw with square head, seen from top.
b8de51bb-ccbf-4b96-9c1b-9304c1bebc2c_300.jpg

@Viking, You're familiar with this "Robertson" screw. This is a Canadian invention and very popular in literally all trades in Canada.

@Viking, You're familiar with this "Robertson" screw. This is a Canadian invention and very popular in literally all trades in Canada.
For some reason, Robertson screws are very popular for building decks here in the states, and in electrical panels, but not much else. I do often see combo Phillips/Robertson screws on other household electrical like switches and outlets now that I think about it though...

For the readers with an interest in such mundane matters, there's a book by Witold Bertkowski (sp?) called "One Good Turn" in which he traces the development of the screw from it's historical origins up to today. In it you may find several things you thought you knew about screws were wrong :p

Phil

How much is it allowed to "screw it up" here in the forum.
Here is a list of the most common
Brought to you by the council to sell you as many different screwdrivers as possible. :rolleyes:

I got a set of torx drivers back around 1999 but i have never used them, only place i have seen and used torx are for wood screws where i do prefer them over phillips or cross or star head as We Danes call them.

Torx is taking over.

I would like to see this on a Danish highway, and the face expression on the cop that see it.

Is it not popular elsewhere? Used for just about everything here so its hard to imagine it not being like that elsewhere [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

haha, i did not know that, that make Chuck Norris 5 days older than my mother.

Robertson has it's advantages, but it looks like Torx is becoming the world standard now ;)

A little-known bit of trivia is that tradesmen in Canada identify Robertson bit size by color, while elsewhere it's done by number. Their hand-held screwdrivers use different standardized handle colors for the different Robertson sizes whereas the rest of the world doesn't- that makes it easier for them to grab the right driver from a tool pouch :D

More trivia: Torx was initially intended to have a standardized torque value used based on the bit size so that you wouldn't have to go to a different chart to know how tight a fastener needed to be for every different application. That no longer holds true but it is still a good idea that has merit :cool:

Even more trivia (which goes counter to what most people believe): A correctly fitted hollow-ground straight-blade screwdriver can tighten a screw more tightly than Phillips or Robertson can :D

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back