Pics that make you smile

aRjGVW5_460s.jpg

I have difficulties understanding Australian :D

you are not alone I can assure you, have been misunderstood plenty of times when I've been in the USA, one time I remember I was talking to the secretary of a guy I was dealing with there and she stopped me mid conversation with "sir, sir, sir, you're accent is lovely, but I can't understand a word you're saying, can you please talk slower"

you are not alone I can assure you, have been misunderstood plenty of times when I've been in the USA, one time I remember I was talking to the secretary of a guy I was dealing with there and she stopped me mid conversation with "sir, sir, sir, you're accent is lovely, but I can't understand a word you're saying, can you please talk slower"
That is where I find myself most of the time :p

I make the same mistake visiting the other nordic countries, clearly they do not understand Danish as good as i understand Swedish or Norwegian.
But generally if you talk slowly we "skandis" understand each other just fine.

Sometimes I have trouble understanding folks from the Northeast US, and not just when they're talking fast. And even though I grew up in southern Mississippi, I have a hard time with some who have a thick drawl. Thank God I don't have a drawl. I just sometimes use words like y'all and fixin'a.

Yet I understand most Brits and Aussies just fine.

Sometimes I have trouble understanding folks from the Northeast US, and not just when they're talking fast. And even though I grew up in southern Mississippi, I have a hard time with some who have a thick drawl. Thank God I don't have a drawl. I just sometimes use words like y'all and fixin'a.

Yet I understand most Brits and Aussies just fine.

When Aussies speaks amongst themselves is when I really have trouble understanding.:D I have lots of relatives in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.

Yet I understand most Brits...
Have you ever had opportunity to speak to a Brit with a heavy ****ney (c0ckney) accent? To me it's almost like a different language.

Have you ever had opportunity to speak to a Brit with a heavy ****ney (c0ckney) accent? To me it's almost like a different language.
Guess not. Most of the ones I've spoken to at work were from around London and Milton Keynes. And it's always over the phone/Skype. I've never been to the UK.

Remember that video I posted a little while back about water? I think he was more Irish but I may be wrong - haven't had much exposure to all the various dialects over there.

Guess not. Most of the ones I've spoken to at work were from around London and Milton Keynes. And it's always over the phone/Skype. I've never been to the UK.

Remember that video I posted a little while back about water? I think he was more Irish but I may be wrong - haven't had much exposure to all the various dialects over there.

This was some time ago. I was attending a commercial laundry equipment seminar in Kenner, New Orleans. Attending were personnels from all over the world. After a few days we got familiar with each other was very comfortable and poking fun at each other. There was 2 from "Crown Agency" UK. They speak with such a heavy Liverpool accent that non of us understand what they're saying.
Their reply was; "It's not our fault. We wanted to stay here (US) to teach you English but you chase us out". (referring to US independence) All of us had a good laugh.

This was some time ago. I was attending a commercial laundry equipment seminar in Kenner, New Orleans. Attending were personnels from all over the world. After a few days we got familiar with each other was very comfortable and poking fun at each other. There was 2 from "Crown Agency" UK. They speak with such a heavy Liverpool accent that non of us understand what they're saying.
Their reply was; "It's not our fault. We wanted to stay here (US) to teach you English but you chase us out". (referring to US independence) All of us had a good laugh.
We have a difficult time understanding each other in the US, so it all balances out :)

Yes, I have. The subject was older motorcycles which we both understood and I'm something of an Anglophile with an understanding of their slang, or I would have likely been totally lost. Even then it took me a few times hearing him say what I thought was "Trident" before I realized her was speaking of a "Triton" :p With my hearing as bad as it is now, my understanding of anyone isn't very good and those with heavy accents might as well be speaking to a wall :( I find it odd that English is considered the "International Language" when so many native "English" speakers can't even understand each other :whistle: :ROFLMAO:

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back