Pics that make you smile

Ali was a loudmouth like many athletes, but he also had that twinkle in his eye that told you he knew he was playing. For a long time he was the most beloved human on the planet. His speed as a big man was legend and his ability to dodge punishment was even more legend. OTH, his reliance on the rope-a-dope probably contributed to his decline in the 80's -- that and Joe Frazier and George Foreman. If only the modern trash talking athletes had Ali's charm -- and talent!

Brian

He really was the "Greatest"!

I think the move like a butterfly might be a little exaggerated, but he did sting like a bee.
We Danes only had 1 in the heavy pro class, his name was also Brian.
Holyfield also put Brian to sleep.

image.jpg

We do Better with the lighter boxers.

I think the move like a butterfly might be a little exaggerated, but he did sting like a bee.
We Danes only had 1 in the heavy pro class, his name was also Brian.
Holyfield also put Brian to sleep.

image.jpg

We do Better with the lighter boxers.

I disagree. He DID float like a butterfly! I grew up in NYC and my dad took me to see boxing matches many times at Madison Square Garden when I was a kid and I got to see many fine fighters do their thing, like Sugar Ray Robinson for instance, but there's never been another fighter like Ali. He was truly a one and only.

Last edited:
Ali's greatness was as much his ability to give and take punches as it was his innovative thinking of how boxing matches are won and lost. Outside of the ring you go at it as hard and as fast as you can, but in the ring you've got many rounds to win in which opens an opportunity to use other strategies. Getting a KO in the first round is nice, but not necessary- all that matters is that when the rounds are over you are the winner.

I never found Heavyweight boxing or American football very exciting because the huge sized people cannot move as much or as fast as smaller folks- thus there is less 'action', and it is the action which I like seeing. If you like action too, watch a flyweight or featherweight match- man do those guys go! The competition is much more fierce and if Ali went head-to-head with one, he would have found that he couldn't 'rope-a-dope' or 'float' away from someone who is relentlessly attacking like that. But it worked with the heavyweights, and Ali understood that when nobody else did.

Phil

I haven't ever followed the fight scene but a couple of things I noted, in the video above and I don't know if it's typical of the whole match as it's a highlights reel but I did notice that Ali has his hands down a lot, not like the typical fighter that keeps his hands up to protect his head, leaving them down I would think is going to prompt the opponent to keep going for the headshots, he seemed to be good at the duck and weave and these guys are tiring themselves out trying to go for the easy shot, his ducking and weaving (along with the taunting) is playing the mental game against the opponent, while Ali has his hands down he's conserving energy, try holding your hands up in front of your face with some extra weight in each hand and see how fatiguing that becomes by the three minute mark, he's got less arm pump going and more strength at the end of each round than his opponent, good time to strike I would think, pretty good strategy if that's the way he did it

We did a little boxing back the day in between jam sessions in the youth clubs music room, and it do take a lot more than you would expect just throwing punches at a person or a bag.
Okay maybe i was a bit over the top on the bag cuz i also went full bore Bruce Lee on the poor thing, and i packed a pretty good kick back then, no problem kicking with force in my own 6 foot head hight.
I once got a good hit on the throat while boxing for fun with a former class mate that had like 25 Kg on skinny me, found out thats a pretty good target if you want to make a guy think about something else,, i know i was.

I haven't ever followed the fight scene but a couple of things I noted, in the video above and I don't know if it's typical of the whole match as it's a highlights reel but I did notice that Ali has his hands down a lot, not like the typical fighter that keeps his hands up to protect his head, leaving them down I would think is going to prompt the opponent to keep going for the headshots, he seemed to be good at the duck and weave and these guys are tiring themselves out trying to go for the easy shot, his ducking and weaving (along with the taunting) is playing the mental game against the opponent, while Ali has his hands down he's conserving energy, try holding your hands up in front of your face with some extra weight in each hand and see how fatiguing that becomes by the three minute mark, he's got less arm pump going and more strength at the end of each round than his opponent, good time to strike I would think, pretty good strategy if that's the way he did it

Yup, that's exactly it, just like he always said, "Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!";)

There's a local guy in my town who drives a restored Power Wagon just like that. It makes me drool.

Not into trucks, but the Power Wagon is pretty cool looking. I wonder how well it would handle Moab?

Brian

I would order mine with the most kick ass of roading axles, like Currie rockjock or something.
As i understand it they where pretty bulletproof trucks no matter what you threw them at
Some,,,,, down south in the big sand box, was so happy about them they had a big one made as sort of a rolling ( yes it do drive too ) monument.
g4h-min.jpg

IMG_15199_thumb.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back