Pics that make you smile

Sadly, younger generations recognize that icon as "floppy disc", but when I tell them how much data has been on it, they start laughing.
When I even tell them, that once we launched a whole operating system from ONE of these Floppys, they start looking for a good shrink for me...

(gosh I feel so old right now...)

I'd think of the Download-Icon. A Bar at the bottom, and an error pointing to that... (Like the one in a Browser)
"Digital Immigrants" (like me) would understand this, as would the "Digital Natives"...

Sadly, younger generations recognize that icon as "floppy disc", but when I tell them how much data has been on it, they start laughing.
When I even tell them, that once we launched a whole operating system from ONE of these Floppys, they start looking for a good shrink for me...

(gosh I feel so old right now...)

I've posted this image on DCT before, but along those same lines, I know just what you mean.

harddrive been waiting for 2.jpg

My first computer was a Superboard 2. It saved/loaded from cassette tape. Slowly.
One day I read the manual (remember those?) and saw you could buy a 5MB or 10MB hard drive for it.
I thought that was ridiculous. How the hell could you find enough information to fill up 10 MILLION bytes of data?

It's all about context, I suppose. What will we be doing next that will be generating files with thousands of Terabytes of data? Something, for sure.

Z81 -> A500 -> PC DX2 66 mhz -> PC 266 MHZ -> PC 700 MHZ ( first DIY build ) and on and on with PC

First HDD 600 Mb GVP harddrive for A500 - second HDD 1.2 GB for 700 MHZ computer.
First SSD 2 gen 30 GB, current SSD 4 gen 256 Gb ( c: )

Apple,,,,,,, O hell no, never ever, nada, finito, nein.

The future of data storage should surely get interesting with holographic layering and eventually, quantum storage.

History-Data-Storage.jpg

If this image doesn't translate well on your screen, go here:

http://mozy.com/infographics/the-past-present-and-future-of-data-storage

My first computer was a Superboard 2. It saved/loaded from cassette tape. Slowly.
One day I read the manual (remember those?) and saw you could buy a 5MB or 10MB hard drive for it.
I thought that was ridiculous. How the hell could you find enough information to fill up 10 MILLION bytes of data?

It's all about context, I suppose. What will we be doing next that will be generating files with thousands of Terabytes of data? Something, for sure.

Sad part - we don't necessaraly create more data, the files just get bigger and bigger... Just take a look at a Word 6.0-Document; all comfort-functions like embedding images, tables (from excel) aso - Files never grew bigger than 50kb (excl. images) except you had 60 pages saved in there... But Today, a single 1-Page-Letter already takes 50kb, without images aso. More Pages or even Pictures in it? 100kb plus...

Or Operating-Systems. Newest Windows fills a whole single-Layer DVD (4GB compressed Data). And there are not many things different to earlier versions; it looks smoother, actually not so many more functions requiering an "explosion" of data...

In another Board, someone wrote "programmers became lazy, as storage become so cheap. if they had to programm efficiently, there would be fewer bugs, security-breaches and smaller but faster operating systems"... I think he was right... :-/

Oh - my first PC (a 486DX33Mhz with 4MB RAM) had a 130MB Harddrive. And that was considered to be huuuuuuuuuuuuuge at that time...

Sad part - we don't necessaraly create more data, the files just get bigger and bigger... Just take a look at a Word 6.0-Document; all comfort-functions like embedding images, tables (from excel) aso - Files never grew bigger than 50kb (excl. images) except you had 60 pages saved in there... But Today, a single 1-Page-Letter already takes 50kb, without images aso. More Pages or even Pictures in it? 100kb plus...

Or Operating-Systems. Newest Windows fills a whole single-Layer DVD (4GB compressed Data). And there are not many things different to earlier versions; it looks smoother, actually not so many more functions requiering an "explosion" of data...

In another Board, someone wrote "programmers became lazy, as storage become so cheap. if they had to programm efficiently, there would be fewer bugs, security-breaches and smaller but faster operating systems"... I think he was right... :-/

Oh - my first PC (a 486DX33Mhz with 4MB RAM) had a 130MB Harddrive. And that was considered to be huuuuuuuuuuuuuge at that time...

I couldn't agree more. For years we have been treated to bloat and feature creep to the nth degree. This kind of thing has finally led desperate corporations like Adobe worried about the loss of upgrade profits to force users into a dubious subscription model in the cloud because they finally reached the bloat limit with what they can do with Photoshop. And, so now the data storage requirements end up even bigger in the "cloud" and the customers get screwed by cost and loss of control, security and privacy of their work.

And, so now the data storage requirements end up even bigger in the "cloud" and the customers get screwed by cost and loss of control, security and privacy of their work.

Cloud computing

Centralised
Loss
Of
Users
Data

lormet_zoo_0543_sml_by_lormet_images-d9n4o44.jpg

At least it's wrapped in paper* like it should be. Not newspaper, but I'll let that slide. :D

*Or is that cloth? I'm sad now.

Last edited:
Off-Topic-Question out of curiosity:
why is the "red cross" in the USA symboled with the Swiss National flag?
(normally: red cross = white flag with red cross. swiss flag: red flag with white cross)

Danish flag red with white cross too, and allso the oldest national flag in the world. :p

why is the "red cross" in the USA symboled with the Swiss National flag?
It's more a first aid symbol than a reference to The Red Cross. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_aid_kit#Appearance
ISO standard is white on green background.
One of the few exceptions is in North America, where despite the passing of the First Geneva convention in 1864, and its ratification in the United States in 1881, Johnson & Johnson has used the red cross as a mark on its products since 1887 and registered the symbol as a U.S. trademark for medicinal and surgical plasters in 1905.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rajagra!

curious that it is even possible to register a national flag as US-trademark...
...well...

@kamkar1

right - but the red cross actually is an inverted swiss flag, as Switzerland is the protective state (Schutzmacht in Englisch?) for Genevan Convention and the RedCross itselfe, while the danish cross goes the "whole length to the sides"...

Back