Polarizing filter for DR500GW-HD

that link is to the rubber outer? where do we get the polarised lens from?

found one on ebay in the US of A, ordered it, will wait a couple of weeks and it should be here and will see how it goes. the reflections I get are humongous. I can get one locally but costs a lot more. cant wait until it gets here.
thanks.

wozzzzza said:
found one on ebay in the US of A, ordered it, will wait a couple of weeks and it should be here and will see how it goes. the reflections I get are humongous. I can get one locally but costs a lot more. cant wait until it gets here.
thanks.
Is it plug and play type? Please share the ebay link?

Dscheng said:
wozzzzza said:
thanks.
Is it plug and play type? Please share the ebay link?

I found this and ships from NY for those of us in the states.. placed my order and will need to get creative on mounting it once received.

The magnet one is nice. I will have to measure if I have enough space between camera and front car windshield glass.

Hi,

I have received my order Magnetic 18mm GGS kit UV filter/CPL Polarizer/Lens and I have mounted it on my camera.

How it looks like mounted on DR500GW:

Difference in picture quality with and without CPL lens:

Without

With

Tonight I will upload pictures and movie from night conditions.

Cons:
- CPL lens limits camera view (CPL lens is 2-3 millimeters from camera original lens and this is why it limits the view)

Pros:
- very easy to install
- better picture quality
- limited reflections in front window
- magnet used to install lens to camera body via very thin metallic ring glued by 3M tape to camera body

Best regards,

Marek

Attachments

• image small.jpg
    image small.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 281
  • image (1) small.jpg
    image (1) small.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 278
  • without small.jpg
    without small.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 280
  • with_uv_cpl small.jpg
    with_uv_cpl small.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited by a moderator:
I like how the cover works but I would hate that circle always on view.

I have one on order from the same chap, but a 20mm so I'm hoping it won't have the same. Only paid the equivalent of about £8-£10 so not a major if I have to purchase the 22mm.

filter needs to be tightly attach to the lens
possible to disassemble and use without enclosure

Hi,

20 mm can be to wide. 18 mm ring fits very well and 20 mm could be to large and sticky tape could not hold metallic ring well.

See my 18 mm in attached picture.

Marek

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 257
JazJon said:
A marked improvement mareksuski, but I too don't think I'd be able to live with the image being chopped off.

What you guys need to do is figure out a way to use a larger diameter filter. One that overlaps the original lens. I have a LUKAS LK-7900 that has threads on the end of the lens like other cameras and some video camcorders. Then you can attach a step-up adaptor and use a large screw on filter. Like this:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/black-30-5m ... =244853893

Then you have a variety of choices of filters to select from instead of trying to rig a CPL to the camera alone. One just needs to use the imagination and find something that can work if you don't have a camera with threads. Perhaps a plastic or rubber cover from something else that will fit as a hood and simply cut the center out and bond to it the step-up ring like a boot. Using a larger filter will eliminate the tunnel effect known as Vignetting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting

Someone here must have some DIY talent with a bit of creativity.

mareksuski said:
Tonight I will upload pictures and movie from night conditions.
Yeah, interested to see how it looks at night. If the lens is tinted will it affect the picture quality at night?

Here's my attempt... As you can tell it took me 2 seconds to figure out how I was going to mount it. I'm not bothered by the slight loss of view because it's already greater than my DR400-II.

The two videos show the difference this made. For $5 i'm not mad.

OgW85eO.jpg

S6TgMCR.jpg

cjpuMaY.jpg

Video without the filter -

Video WITH filter -

is it that much different? I can see see the dash reflecting in the window, thought that's what the polarised filter took care of?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
erewhon DR500GW-HD 193
Back