Powerucc Panorama S

Ok this is embarassing. After uploading the video onto youtube and comparing it to the others (Alex and Niko) it seems the quality is not bad after all. I may be having an issue with Quicktime stuttering my videos. Anyhow, one thing I DID realise, was that after formatting, the recorded time is correct, but the name of the title is wrong (by about 2hrs). Anyone have this issue? Still can't capture moving license plates unless they get really close though.

Quicktime is not the best player in existence. datakam, VLC & most likely several others are better. Even youtube can pick up on videos that have suspect vibes & offer to correct them.

Well, I've done a couple of trips with my new Panorama S, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the moment. Hopefully the wealth of knowledge on this forum can give me some suggestions to improve things.....
I've updated to firmware 1.12.06 15mbps version, 1080p continuous recording. The video image quality is very similar to that of @ornithology's clip posted just above. Rego plates are only legible if within about 6-7m, which isn't very useful. Much further away and the processing appears to deliberately smudge text as if it is protecting privacy or something.
I feel that there too much video processing going on that is degrading the resolution. I know this is pretty typical of almost all dashcams though.
So what else can I do to improve things?

I use RegistratorViewer which seems to play smoothly. However, I have noticed it doesn't display speed from the GPS smoothly. It bounces around by as much as +-10kph. The graph of speed even has a peak of over 200kmh! Clearly I haven't done that in a Tribute.... The speed embedded into the video by the Panorama S appears to be spot on fortunately.

Last edited:
Plates legible at 6 or 7 meters sounds about right, dashcams use a fixed focus lens and there's a sweet spot where the focus is optimised and it will taper off after that point

Hmmmm, I understand that. But I think there is more to it.
I'll try some things tomorrow and report back.......

Well, I've done a couple of trips with my new Panorama S, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the moment. Hopefully the wealth of knowledge on this forum can give me some suggestions to improve things.....
I've updated to firmware 1.12.06 15mbps version, 1080p continuous recording. The video image quality is very similar to that of @ornithology's clip posted just above. Rego plates are only legible if within about 6-7m, which isn't very useful. Much further away and the processing appears to deliberately smudge text as if it is protecting privacy or something.
I feel that there too much video processing going on that is degrading the resolution. I know this is pretty typical of almost all dashcams though.
So what else can I do to improve things?

I use RegistratorViewer which seems to play smoothly. However, I have noticed it doesn't display speed from the GPS smoothly. It bounces around by as much as +-10kph. The graph of speed even has a peak of over 200kmh! Clearly I haven't done that in a Tribute.... The speed embedded into the video by the Panorama S appears to be spot on fortunately.
it is always necessary to provide raw video, to determine the nature of the support and assistance

On most dashcams focus fixed to 1 car-length from bonnet what @jokiin said. Same is with Pano.

Things to do to improve video rec:

1. Clean lens with special lens cleaning liquid ( look from photo equipment stores )

2. Clean and keep cleaned regularly outside windshield.

3. Also very important is inside windshield. In most cases you think its clean but actually it always get thin layer of dust which may affect video recording. Use well known brand names special inner glass cleaners and anti-fog ( like Rain-X antifog ) or other good brands.

3. Also very important is inside windshield. In most cases you think its clean but actually it always get thin layer of dust which may affect video recording. Use well known brand names special inner glass cleaners and anti-fog ( like Rain-X antifog ) or other good brands.

In the case of modern cars, like mine. I always seen to get a mist/grime layer on the inside of the screen. which needs cleaning often. Easy to do, but I'd rather not have to

Sounds obvious but if you use domestic window cleaners like Windex they contain ammonia and it actually causes a haze to form on the window within an hour or so of cleaning

This lesson I learned hard-way. After went and bought series of special cleaners for inside and outside windshield. They are not cheap, but to be honest I dont clean regularly ( too busy, convinient or just lazy ), but try to do it time to time.

Last edited:
Yeah I use Rain X glass cleaner on the outside and Meguiars Clarity on the inside and they clean up a treat!

Didn't Alex manually focus his camera which is why the clips are so amazing?

Yeah I use Rain X glass cleaner on the outside and Meguiars Clarity on the inside and they clean up a treat!

Didn't Alex manually focus his camera which is why the clips are so amazing?

Yeah I think he pulled it apart and has reset the focus to his liking, I'm sure that makes it different as the focal sweet spot will differ, doesn't automatically make it better though

This lesson I learned hard-way. After went and bought series of special cleaners for inside and outside windshield. They are not cheap, but to be honest I dont clean regularly ( too busy, convinient or just lazy ), but try to do it time to time.

F Y I

Here in NZ we have something called Rug Doctor upholstery cleaners. Dirt cheap & MUCH better than anything else I've ever found. Available from great grocery supermarkets.

Hopefully you've got them where you are.

F Y I

Here in NZ we have something called Rug Doctor upholstery cleaners. Dirt cheap & MUCH better than anything else I've ever found. Available from great grocery supermarkets.

Hopefully you've got them where you are.

For years, before dashcam use, when there were no special car windshield inside / outside cleaning liquids available, I have been doing old-school way by using vinegar solution.

Back