Problems with mounting my cam.

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive deployed both cams and Im very pleased with the SGZC12SG. The SG9665GC, on the other hand, albeit Im satisfied, has a horrific reflection from the windshield. Im wondering If theres another way to mount it to reduce this reflection.I like the low profile look of it, but I question the idea of mounting it right against the windshield because of the reflection created. Also, why does this cam have the external GPS module? Why not have it built in like the SGZC12SGSK? Plus, unlike the SGZC12SGSK, it doesn't display your speed. Just curious. Other than that, I love both cams.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 67
There is a CPL filter for the SGZC12SG/SGZC12SGSK (aka Panorama G) look up PANOCPL and PANOCPLV2
There is no CPL option for the SG9665GC at this time. You can invest in a dark black carpet to put on your dash to minimize reflections.

You are right Panorama G, GPS is built in, and GC is external GPS.

... I question the idea of mounting it right against the windshield because of the reflection created....

Based on the picture you uploaded I doubt the reflection is caused by the camera being close to the windshield - reflections are there regardless. You can probably minimize it somewhat by aiming the camera higher so less of the dash/hood are in the fram.

It's always best to use the 60/40 rule. 60% road/hood and 40% sky maximum. (or else auto exposure is overwhelmed)

It's always best to use the 60/40 rule. 60% road/hood and 40% sky maximum. (or else auto exposure is overwhelmed)
That's just it. If I adjust the cam upward, it goes to almost a 70% sky/30% truck and ground. There is no happy medium.

You can invest in a dark black carpet to put on your dash to minimize reflections.]

Better yet, you can purchase a professionally made dashboard cover specifically for your car. I have been using one for several years, and believe me, I wouldn't drive without it. The reduction in windshield relections is enormous. Your reflections are really bad, I'm surprised that they didn't bother you before. Anyway, you might want to take a look at some dashboard covers here http://www.carid.com/dashmat/

you can pull it down from the point where it clicks, it is too low the way you have it now which accentuates the issue, all else being equal a lighter coloured dashboard will reflect more regardless

You're right I looked again and the camera lens too aimed low in the first post attached example photo. (looks more like 80/20 than 60/40)
The tip of being able to pull the lens slightly between hard/fixed clicks is a good suggestion.

As said, purchase a dash board mat/cover.

I don't own a dash cam yet but the first thing I always do when I buy a car is buy a new dash mat for it.

They are a good investment which protect it from further sun damage and keep the car cooler BUT most importantly, it minimizes all reflections......... Auto part makers have got it about right with the color of the mats for reflections which is sort of a greyish color.

Off Topic ------ Hey Rick, how'd you pull up after your birthday yesterday ?

The day ended with a headache but that's not unusual, I get them a lot, quiet night, my business partner and his family over for dinner, so just a quiet night with a few close friends, nothing out of the ordinary

Back