Problems with the A118-C from Gearbest

When I review my videos, I sometimes feel like this isn't even 1080p anymore(resolution wise, it is).
Just the clarity is not on par.

@runtohell121 , Is @GearBest going to send you a new adapter?
I am getting lcd screen dim(or flicker in a way) issue.

No, they gave me option of sending it back to them for a full refund or exchange, shipping my cost... And shipping most likely cost half the price of the camera when shipping back to China...

Another option was to take the partial refund (half of the price I paid for), which is what I'm going with and take a loss and look for a new dash cam soon.

No, they gave me option of sending it back to them for a full refund or exchange, shipping my cost... And shipping most likely cost half the price of the camera when shipping back to China...

Another option was to take the partial refund (half of the price I paid for), which is what I'm going with and take a loss and look for a new dash cam soon.

I see, it's the same situation with me.
However, I don't feel comfortable ordering the same dashcam anymore.

I see, it's the same situation with me.
However, I don't feel comfortable ordering the same dashcam anymore.

Definitely won't be ordering the A118-C again, going to look for something else and maybe wait to see what new dash cam might come out. I love the form factor of the A118-C though.

Definitely won't be ordering the A118-C again, going to look for something else and maybe wait to see what new dash cam might come out. I love the form factor of the A118-C though.

I ordered it because it's a nice form factor + capacitor.
If it wasn't because of the form factor, I would've save money by ordering G1W-C.

...going to look for something else and maybe wait to see what new dash cam might come out. I love the form factor of the A118-C though.
SG9665GC?

I ordered it because it's a nice form factor + capacitor.
If it wasn't because of the form factor, I would've save money by ordering G1W-C.

Yup agreed, but at the same time, I didn't really want the G1W since it was similar to my VF300W, wanted to try something that was newer.

SG9665GC?

I know about it, but definitely on the pricier side and way out of my budget currently.

@runtohell121, thanks for posting more video, it is not normal, I will check further about this.
I send a PM to you, please check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are 2 other videos from the same day driving, showing how pixelated it gets... @billknow @GearBest
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2up9nwjmk44234s/2015_0310_204934_191.MOV?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sklim6afex5dkf/2015_0310_205534_193.MOV?dl=0

And here's a video of it after it cooled down (after getting gas, about 10 min cooling time), same day:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/biuiipkre91i689/2015_0310_215952_212.MOV?dl=0

Are these video made after the firmware update?

Are these video made after the firmware update?

Before, as there was no firmware when I had this dash cam. After the update, I haven't had a chance to test it out at night yet, or at least not a long drive to see if it overheats or not.

I think it's time the mod has to add extra note on the dashcam comparison table, suggesting this A118c is just too unreliable and has poor quality control, not to be recommended for purchase at this stage.

I think it's time the mod has to add extra note on the dashcam comparison table, suggesting this A118c is just too unreliable and has poor quality control, not to be recommended for purchase at this stage.
There are certainly problems but mine doesn't have the SD card issue. The cigarette lighter plug does have a bit of a delay when it's cold bit nothing like what others have described. Also if people buy one and have no issues they won't come on here to complain, they'll just use it and be happy and we'll never hear from them. So of course the bulk of comments on here will be negative. But yes the mods can add a note about issues with the SD card and power cord. Perhaps with a link to my and Chris-S's write-ups about the sd card problem, and fox offer's note about the power cord.

as a percentage I think the numbers are quite low, more than they would have liked but two issues that have already been addressed and won't be a problem very shortly anyway as following production will address this

There are certainly problems but mine doesn't have the SD card issue. The cigarette lighter plug does have a bit of a delay when it's cold bit nothing like what others have described. Also if people buy one and have no issues they won't come on here to complain, they'll just use it and be happy and we'll never hear from them. So of course the bulk of comments on here will be negative. But yes the mods can add a note about issues with the SD card and power cord. Perhaps with a link to my and Chris-S's write-ups about the sd card problem, and fox offer's note about the power cord.

Mine also didn't have the SD card problem even though the glue was stuck on it. I opened up and moved it off and still no problem.
But do have problems with the cigarette charger.
I definitely agree that the A118 page should be modified with A118C problems and fixes

There's no need to move the speaker if its not causing a problem, it will be moved in subsequent productions though, likewise the power adapter will be changed and if you have a problem one now just let your reseller know and they'll ship you a replacement adapter

well, moving the speaker so that it faces out an opening in the camera will make it louder. it was really obvious to me when doing my side by side comparison that the C was much quieter than the original, and once i opened up the C, it was pretty obvious why - the speaker was essentially covered up by the SD card slot so its sound couldn't get out.

for me this is a good thing. i like to be able to hear the camera startup sound, since it lets me know the camera did in fact turn on. especially since the C will shortly be mounted in my back window, where i can't see it as easily as I can the original a118 just in front of my rearview mirror.

It was never intended to be there of course, it was a mistake by the production manager who hadn't done this model before, the assembly staff just follow instructions and weren't aware of the potential problem, this has since been addressed

well it also highlights how much QC gets done. if they had simply tried to insert an SD card in the ones some folks have gotten, they would have found out the problem and possibly fixed it sooner rather than having to hear about it from customers a month or two later. i wouldn't be surprised if removing the adhesive is what damaged the SD card slot on some of these - possibly bent the spring steel a little too much, so the catch doesn't work anymore. that's why chris-s has to put the card in then press down on the L shaped arm to make it lock.

Moving the speaker has a much greater risk of damage to the card slot lock mechanism, if its working it will stay working, better to leave it alone

It was picked up too late unfortunately but that's just one of those things that can go wrong

After seeing my A118 my brother-in-law just had to have one. I suggested the A118C from Gearbest, and he ordered it. Took about a month for him to get it. He showed it to me last night and it's working great. No problems at all with the card slot--he's running a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSD card. So hopefully this latest back of A118C's is OK.

Back