Problems with the A118-C from Gearbest

After seeing my A118 my brother-in-law just had to have one. I suggested the A118C from Gearbest, and he ordered it. Took about a month for him to get it. He showed it to me last night and it's working great. No problems at all with the card slot--he's running a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSD card. So hopefully this latest back of A118C's is OK.

That's great news that I'm glad to hear! Hopefully mine will be problem-free when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

Okay... my A118-C is quite good... (obviously it doesn't read number plates unless I'm stopped), but otherwise it generally is good during the day.

At night it isn't massively good, but will record an accident should one occur, so although it isn't quite what I'd 'got my hopes up' for, it actually does the job I want it to do.

For the moment I'm sticking with it!

Has anyone got the name of some dashcams (that don't cost the world) that actually can read plates whilst on the move?
Also, has anyone got any StreetGuardian footage (their model that's in the same chassis as the A118-C?

Ty

Also, has anyone got any StreetGuardian footage (their model that's in the same chassis as the A118-C?

niko and alexsoll have posted sample videos in this thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/street-guardian-has-the-sg9665gc-listed.9473/page-21 The videos look good to me. I ordered the Street Guardian SG9665GC and am currently waiting for it to ship.

I ordered it after receiving and returning an A118-C that was out of focus (it wasn't from Gearbest though...it was from a different vendor). I think the sensor to lens distance wasn't set right in my A118-C and I didn't feel like voiding the warranty or breaking it by disassembling it. It had clear sharp focus on things that were only a few centimeters away but was slightly out of focus on things over about 10 meters away, so I attribute it to a quality control issue during assembly rather than a design issue (though that's only a guess since I didn't take it apart). There are probably more good A118-Cs than bad ones, but I don't like gambling and playing the exchange game either... If I have any issues with the SG9665GC after I receive and test it, I'll be sure to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering... Who upgraded to the newest firmware and what kind of improvement/downgrade do you guys see?

Here's a daytime video with the new firmware.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pfw85hoiyliak2/2015_0320_152308_093.MOV?dl=0

It looks a lot more grainier and duller compared to the older firmware. Still have some focusing issues. Have yet to get any night sample as I haven't been driving long enough at night (only 15 min drive).

Is this video after the dashcam is on for a while or initially?
It somehow looks worse and doesn't look to be high definition anymore at all.

In my opinion, if it is something like a focus issue that's affected by heat. No matter what you do with firmware, it's a still physical factor that's affecting the video quality. Unless they can lower the internal temperature through firmware, or else it will still be an ongoing issue.

Is this video after the dashcam is on for a while or initially?
It somehow looks worse and doesn't look to be high definition anymore at all.

In my opinion, if it is something like a focus issue that's affected by heat. No matter what you do with firmware, it's a still physical factor that's affecting the video quality. Unless they can lower the internal temperature through firmware, or else it will still be an ongoing issue.

I would say initially, about 15 minute after driving.

I agree that the newer firmware is much more grainy than the older Jan 15 one. It has also presented a constant fizzing noise, similar to that you hear from an electrical pylon when it's raining or misty outside! I need the old firmware back for sure!

I agree that the newer firmware is much more grainy than the older Jan 15 one. It has also presented a constant fizzing noise, similar to that you hear from an electrical pylon when it's raining or misty outside! I need the old firmware back for sure!
I own A118 and A118C (GearBest). Updated firmware (just to know I've got a newest one/it just me) though I did not have any problems yet. I do not see any difference with "before" and "after" March 12th update. Good focus, sharpness in daytime video. Acceptable video in night time recording. In my opinion, human eyes are able to see not much better than dashcam is seeing it. And no noise at all, only my music.

Gearbest wants me to send the camera back for a new one(mine is already a new one).
It will cost me close to $50 to send it to them and wait another month for a new one.

I don't feel like paying over $130 for a dashcam(not even knowing if second one has any issues).
Will never buy a new dashcam on the market until it's at least 6 months to 1 year old. I would've thought all the problems are ironed out with the original A118 version.
How about try Joovuu's tiesfong original developer's B40/A118:)So far did not have faulty units

Hi guys,
Where can i get the january FW version for A118C? Mine was blueskysea FW and unfortunatelly it didn't work so i put the latest FW from foxoffer but as you all know the boosted sharpness and contrast makes it unnatural.

has anyone come up with a way to extract the firmware from a device? i still have the original fw on my a118c and would gladly share it if there was a way to copy it off the device.

First we have to know if our device supoorts autoexec scripts and then we can find some developer to help us with the script.

The Novatek cameras don't have anything like that unfortunately - at least not what I've read about on here.

Some DOD clones can be dropped into a special mode but very few can actually dump the firmware from that - I did a thread on the menu here but from memory this trick didn't work on the A118 so I don't think it would work on the A118-C either as it's the same base.

The thread was here for that one:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/hidden-calibration-menu-on-dod-clones.6466/

Last edited by a moderator:
You're allow to downgrade the firmwares right?

Back