Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9667DC2K
Was posted to our Facebook page.
bcMJwa8.png

zKwWj

Yes people would help make the world a better place if they did better with their passwords.

Default passwords are easily found online for any device so the first thing you do with a new device is change the password ;)

Phil

Isn't it illegal to access a system through a password without permission in Australia?
And aren't there large fines/jail time if you mess with the settings or stored data having broken in?

Just because somebody hasn't changed the default password doesn't make it legal.

...So posting that you have done it doesn't seem wise, especially on Facebook!

Don't think many of us have anything on our cameras to hide so changing the default password is only necessary to prevent criminals messing up our settings, and in many countries hacking is a criminal offence, and one you don't want on your record, so don't do it!

possibly, no idea really

highly unlikely, slap on the wrist legal system in place
I did a google search on Australian hacking, no sign of any laws, but I was offered lots of jobs in the "ethical hacking" industry!

I guess I should have expected it from a nation made up of criminals :D

https://www.adzuna.com.au/ethical-hacking

well today its only 1 in 5 that can be traced back to the 800 something prison ships. :D

There are laws regarding unauthorized computer or network access in most places, but that doesn't stop it from happening so you must take extra steps to protect yourself.

It would be embarrassing as heck to find that some 10 year old kid has hacked your system just for fun, and with today's kids that is more than a remote possibility :eek: Far worse can happen if it's hacked by some adult with evil intent :mad:

IMHO the best solution here might be to use the old dashcams as at least part of the 'visible deterrent' since nothing much is lost if they come to harm. Perhaps have one playing on a screen which visitors can see to prove it's a real system. But I agree that the main system would be best as a commercial unit made for the purpose and including IR if possible ;) Here in the US a half-decent 4cch system with 2 720P cams supplied can be had for around $150 on sale, and another $100 gets you 1-2 much better cams to add on. 50%-100% more money gets you a good system and in today's money that's not a bad price to pay for good security :cool:

Phil

Back