[R&D] A7 R&D thread

Tobi@s, good job!
Value 0.75-1.125

Value 1.125-1.125

Value 2-2 gives the best result...

Last edited:
So you can confirm that it is brighness, great! :D
Now it's time to find out what value 3 does.

Hm maybe value 3 is contrast.

Ever thought about changing the framerate?

Hm maybe value 3 is contrast.
Looks more like overlay colour, unless there is another reason the colour of the text has changed?

I want controls for contrast and saturation, mine has too much contrast meaning that detail gets lost in the darker areas and too little saturation for my liking...

So I played with value 3 but did not notice a big difference - but only tested at night. I hope I'll see better results tomorrow.
Left one: value 3: 0.725 (Default: 1.125)
Right one: value 3: 1.225 (Default: 1.125)

casw.png

I don't understand what you mean by "range variable bitrate" D:
Unfortunately Google Translate does a bad Job and the linked page didn'T help me neither.
Could you try to explain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bitrate
"Bitrate range[edit]
This VBR encoding method allows the user to specify a bitrate range — a minimum and/or maximum allowed bitrate.[15] Some encoders extend this method with an average bitrate. The minimum and maximum allowed bitrate set bounds in which the bitrate may vary. The disadvantage of this method is that the average bitrate (and hence file size) will not be known ahead of time. The bitrate range is also used in some fixed quality encoding methods, but usually without permission to change a particular bitrate.[16]"

Right one looks better?
Right one has quite a lot more detail - Most noticeable in the grey roof and the leaves of the tree next to it.

Presumably the right one has a higher bit rate.

I just did some more tests and I think you are right. value 2 is probably min bitrate (value1*value2 ?) and value 3 max Bitrate (value1*value3 I guess).
Makes more sense than an included brightness value

Neither the sensor or the CPU are 1080p60 capable
Really? :confused:

I thought the Mini 0803 is based on the Ambarella A7LA50D processor and Aptina AR0330 CMOS sensor. The A7LA brief at Ambarella which shows a A7LA50D processor, calls out "Full HD @ 60fps or Super HD 3M @ 30fps". Similarly the Aptina flyer for the AR0330 CMOS sensor states "Full HD support at 60 fps (2304H x 1296V) for maximum video performance".

Also, the original spec sheet even called out "Video Frame Rate: 30FPS/60FPS".

Last edited:
Why would it be a waste of time?
I've never played with 60FPS video so I guess I don't know, but it seems to me that in normal viewing you would not be able to see the difference. To see the extra frames you would need to view in slow motion and in accident cam footage who cares if slow motion isn't smooth, there seem to be enough frames at 30Hz to capture everything important even at a closing speed of 100mph and even then what you need is faster shutter speeds to reduce blur rather than more frames. If your using it to film wildlife or stunt riding where smooth slow motion would be good then it is the wrong choice of camera anyway...

Back