Radio interference

Shooby337

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
So I got a dash cam, went for the E-prance. But when it's plugged in to the charger it causes Radio interference. Any USB wires out there that can prevent this interference?
Thanks

Can you try one with ferrite ring on it? If the problem is with the cable then it shall go away.

If ferrite trick doesnt help, then you need a double-shielded cigarette lighter charger.

Hardwired cameras can also cause radio interference - DAB radio has been affected very badly in one car with an LK-290 and then in my car with a Panorama X2 hardwired you can hear the difference in radio quality when the rear camera is connected (which I assume is sat on the rear antenna).

Already some good threads on RFI- check them out:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/question-for-you-electronic-gurus-whoever-you-may-be.11857/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-to-stop-it-any-experience.12039/#post-155544

Often the close proximity of the USB cable, power convereter, radio, or it's aerial, or the aeiral lead makes this worse. Sometimes there's no cure, sometimes a different cam will cure it, and sometimes re-routing wires will do the trick.

Good luck with this and let us know how it's going!

Phil

Interference can be mostly related to two things

1. coming from power cable ( poor shielding, or poor ground )
- solution: buy better power cable with multiply shielding, adding ferrite.

2. main unit EMI is in conflict with FM frequency.
- solution: unit all inner shell parts must be painted with EMI paint to not allow EMI escaping unit and interfering with FM radio or other electronics devices.

Got a link to EMI paint? I'd like to look into that as I've always used foil for shielding and being conductive that can be risky!

Phil

Thanks Niko

Phil

Ah, nothing like the "old" electronics of the "old" cars...
Someday when people think about buying a car, new or used, they will have to test what car works with the camera they have. :eek:

Ah, nothing like the "old" electronics of the "old" cars...
Someday when people think about buying a car, new or used, they will have to test what car works with the camera they have. :eek:
Actually, some day front and rear dash cams will be standard OE :)

Actually, some day front and rear dash cams will be standard OE :)
With the technology already available today, there's no reason why car manufacturers shouldn't start putting them as standard equipment immediately. Or maybe there is: GoPro doesn't make dashcams. :rolleyes:
Until that faraway day arrives, people will still have to check if the car matches their existing camera(s) to avoid problems like these. :)

I've had issues with radio interference and for me it was using a usb cable instead of the cigarette lighter cable that solved the issue. I've hardwired my dashcam now so I don't have that issue anymore.

Back