Randomly stops recording

snekot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got my dashcam this past December and I've had two instances where the camera had stopped recording without my knowledge until I checked weeks later. I usually check that the camera is on and recording after I start the car, so I didn't have cause for concern.

1st instance: the memory card stopped recording after I had viewed some test footage on a surface tablet and put it back in the camera. I didn't know it wasn't recording until I checked a week or so later. Reformatting the card fixed that.

2nd instance: I went to check for an incident that occured yesterday (June 6th) and found that the camera had randomly stopped recording on May 12th. I also couldn't open the last file and was given an error message. I hadn't removed the memory card for any reason and had been tested successfully long before after the first incident.

What would cause it to stop recording all of a sudden? What do I need to do? It's worrying to think that it may not be recording at any given time and I'm already missing the footage that I needed from yesterday for an insurance claim.

The memory card is the weakest link and ends up being the problem most of the time.

What make model and size card are you using? Did you format in the camera? (Should format every few months).

Use the memory card tester app from https://streetguardian.info/support

Is motion detection on or off?

What version firmware are you on now?

There are no other reports of this so most likely an intermittently finicky memory card. Rule that out first.

Also what power supply are you using?

Taking the SD card out of the camera to play some of the files on a tablet, and then later returning the card to the camera shouldent be a problem.

I dont even think deleting a fjew of the files on the tablet should have any impact on camera performance.

As Jon ( pier28 ) say the memory card is often the weak link, the camera seem to be able to work good with just about any brand of memory cards ( aside for sandisk that can have issues )

Ill leave you to the experts, they will be all over this and make sure you are good ASAP.

Also if a Mac touches the card, it leave left over hidden files that can trip things up a bit as well. Any time a Mac reads a dashcam memory card you should format the card afterwards in-cam

The memory card is the one that came in the package with the dashcam: Transcend 32GB Premium 400x. I formatted in the camera and brought it back to my Mac to view the test footage that I shot afterwards and the old files still remained and no new ones were present.

I checked and motion detection was on; I turned it off right before taking some test footage but none was recorded so I don't know if this helped yet.

Firmware is SG20151109.V2

It's plugged directly into the cigarette lighter outlet

I actually tried once more to format the card in the camera, sat in the car while it "recorded" and tried it again on my Mac. The old files still remain and no new footage even after the second format!

do a full format in the computer, then format in the camera, if you access the card in a Mac it must be formatted in the camera afterward, Mac can leave hidden system files on the card that the camera can trip up on, not always straight away either

MAC = Must Alter Cr,,,,,, "stuff" :D

It's not something I've confirmed with testing at the moment as I've been pressed for time recently and it could just be a coincidence but try disabling the G Sensor in the menu. I had a few similar instances that seemed to have disappeared since turning it off but as said it could just be a coincidence but worth a shot just in case.

I went to format the memory card on my Mac and now it says I'm unable to do it because it's write protected. So I'm unable to even format it on my laptop and definitely can't try any of the other suggested steps yet until I figure out what's going on with this memory card. Didn't have this issue before so I don't know what changed?

You're still covered under warranty so if you have a memory card issue send me a private message or email and I'll take care of you.

I went to format the memory card on my Mac and now it says I'm unable to do it because it's write protected. So I'm unable to even format it on my laptop and definitely can't try any of the other suggested steps yet until I figure out what's going on with this memory card. Didn't have this issue before so I don't know what changed?

sounds like a failed card, did you buy that together with the camera or separately?

Thank you, sending you a PM.

The memory card came with the Dashcam. The 32 GB Transcend.

unfortunately we can't stop problems, what we can do when they happen is try to do our best to rectify them for you ASAP

Back