Rear external cam for van?

Luke_skywalker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i'm after a dashcam for my small ford transit connect (2008 version)
front facing isn't an issue, there are thousands of possibilities so i could use this forum to find one suitable for me. My problem, however is that i'd like to record the rear of the van as i feel that's just as important, if not more so than the front.
My van has no rear windows so the camera would have to be mounted externally. Preferably i'd have the rear cam recorded by the same unit as the front cam, but i'm prepared to compromise on this...
On all the cameras i've found with a separate rear camera, it isn't waterproof!

My requirements are this:
-720P minimum rear cam with good quality day/night
-1080P minimum front cam with great day quality/good night quality
-as hidden as possible - either a separate DVR box to record both cams which i can hide under the dash, or one of the discrete types that look like a pizza slice mounted behind the rear mirror
-preferably a built in monitor
-gps logging would be nice
-i've seen some have 'parking mode motion detection' which would be nice but not essential.
-anything else i should be looking for? I install building CCTV for a living but i've not got any experience with dash cams...
budget is around £150, i could probably go a little higher but as we're hoping to find something we can roll out to the rest of the fleet, we wouldn't want to go too far over.

I had considered using one of the more complicated systems designed for busses/lorries with 4ch, alarm i/o, etc but that seems a bit overkill to me...

Thanks in advance!
(i'll post an 'about me' thread now)

Not much to choose from in waterproof cams, but somewhere here on DCT a fellow with a Transit van used a cam inside by going through the 3rd brake light. He bought a used lens, put clear plastic where he needed it, then mounted the cam to view through that. It looked well done, was undetectable unless you knew to look for it, and the vid shots were good too. Not sure which cam he used as it seems to have been at least 18 months ago or more- probably more. Maybe a site search using "Transit" will lead you to his thread ;)

Phil

Back