recommended setting for undervoltage protection of hardwire kits

mbgar

Reaction score
Country
Germany
A lot of Dash Cams have these generic hardwire kits, these come with a switch for undervoltage protection. (11,8 - 12,0 - 12,2 - 12,4 I think)

Could you tell me, what is the recommended switch setting, which switch setting do you use?
Did you have to lower the setting because of troubles?
Do you set the switch to something different because it is not connected in the fuse box but somewhere else easier reachable?

It`s just a switch to turn off camera to prevent battery going below the set voltage. If you have it set to lower setting camera will record for longer in park mode, makes no difference when engine running. Any setting is fine but if you don`t use car much then 12v is the best lowest setting, 11.8v is ok if car used regularly and will give slightly longer park mode.

It is for parking mode to not damage your car battery by going too low. I would set at 12.2.

Could you tell me, what is the recommended switch setting, which switch setting do you use?
12.0V for a normal lead acid battery,
11.8V for an AGM battery,
Off/0V/lowest available V for a lithium powerbank with its own low voltage cutoff.

If you want your camera to record for a shorter time, to not wear out the battery, then set the parking mode duration setting in the camera setup.

Maybe go a step higher in winter if you live in a very cold place near the North Pole.

Do you set the switch to something different because it is not connected in the fuse box but somewhere else easier reachable?
No, if you are loosing voltage due to a different location, but with the power coming from the car battery, then you should install thicker cables that don't loose voltage, otherwise, when it triggers the cutoff, the voltage will rise and it may turn back on again!

Back