Recommended Settings?

golden99

Reaction score
I'm sure it's here somewhere, but I've searched and I cannot find a thread or post with a list of the most commonly recommended settings for the Viofo A119 V3 such as resolution, exposure, WDR, parking mode, G-sensor, that sort of thing. I understand much of it is user-preference, but with other cams I've seen folks post what works best overall, at least for them (sometimes in a sticky), and I'm hoping some experts have done that here. I'd like to get a jump-start on our new cam's settings and avoid any pitfalls or issues rather than spend hours trying various combinations.

EDIT: Found some of what I was looking for here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119-v3-settings.41385/, but only one actual post. Are there others?

TIA!

Yes, everything is correct, a lot depends on the user's preferences, however I could recommend some settings used by dashcam users (most are the default settings, but not all):

Resolution: 2560x1440P, 30FPS
Bitrate: High
Loop Recording: 1 minutes
Video Format: MP4
EV Exposure: +0.0 (or -2/3)
WDR: Off
G-Sensor: Off
Parking Mode: Low Bitrate Recording
(For parking mode, the most preferred, predictable and informative, I consider the Mode with a low bitrate recording)

I think someone else will be able to share their preferred settings.

Thanks @Leonauto! (y)

Question: I've always set loop recordings for 3 or 5 minutes. Is there any advantage in a shorter setting like 1 minute or is that just a user preference?

TIA!

Last edited:
No advantage as such, i always used 3 minutes myself, still generate a lot of files but in a number i can handle.

Yes, this is the user's preference, it’s more convenient for me to view short files. Even when I’m recording video from my camcorder, I try not to record very long videos - it’s difficult to process them later (although maybe my computer is quite ancient) :)
Short files are also easier to copy.
I still have the prejudice that if any file gets corrupted, then let it be only one minute, and not just five whole minutes at once.

Last edited:
I have always used 5 minute loop as not to be overwhelmed by # of files. If I needed to send anything to insurance or police, the file would be truncated and maybe combined anyway.

First time i submitted footage to the police, of a idiot driver i had to add 2 files ( could have been 3 but timing was good )
The reason was this idiot was driving pretty bad leading up to when he really flaunted his lack of driving skills and total disrespect for the traffic code and other people, the final 30 seconds or so had him violating so many traffic codes so bad the police would have no problem taking his license.

But the initial digital submission was just those 30 seconds or so in a private youtube video, and okay Danish police disregarded that totally for a month until i got Danish media ( national TV ) in on the action, then police suddenly became responsive.

Back