EugenT

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Matego 600G, Mini 0805, C20 Mirror, MiVue 538
Hello,

It is my first post on this forum but I read a lot of threads in the past weeks.
Briefly, I am looking for a discreet dash cam, with reliable motion detection/parking mode, under $ 300 (incl. hard wired kit)
My car is parked daily in the street around 10 hours/day, mostly exposed to direct sunlight, that is why I need:
- parking mode/motion detection with buffer recording, hard wired, with battery discharge prevention (useful in the winter)
- real and reliable motion detection, no/limited false alarms
- motion detection sensitivity levels
- discrete, hidden behind the mirror...or separate units of DVR and lens
- at least 64Gb memory card
- capacitor (the inside temperature often reach 70 degrees Celsius)

I tried several dash cams like mini 0805 (discrete but no buffer recording, no capacitor), Matego 600G (motion detection is triggered almost continuous in sunlight), Mio-MiVue 538 (good motion detection, no discreet, no capacitor). None of them meets all the criteria.

I like SG9665GC but I do not know how motion detection works under direct sunlight. It is also at "discreet" limit.

Please share with me any other dash cam options that could meet the above criteria.

Thanks,
Eugen

If you want decent motion detection and SG9665GC quality, go for the Street Guardian SGZC12RC

That being said, the best motion detection out there is in the Blackvue cams imo.

I tested motion detect on my old lukas and it worked okay even at pretty low lightlevels, dident bother with high light levels as i figures that would at least be just as good.

Motion detect will make a lot of false recordings as just about any movement within sight of the camera will trigger a recording.
I dont think i will ever use motion detect, but i might use G-sensor with sensitivity cranked up to max when parked.

Last edited:
great motion detect WILL result in a lot of false positives. there is no algorithm that will ignore a tree in the wind while recording a bike pass by.

I've a 128GB card in my 12RC and in the environments where I'm parked, I'll still have recordings from the past 3 days. if you're parked in a busy street, this may be an issue. there are a few factors to consider if you want a camera that will record motion or G sensor events while parked.

If you want decent motion detection and SG9665GC quality, go for the Street Guardian SGZC12RC

That being said, the best motion detection out there is in the Blackvue cams imo.

As far as I know SGZ12RC is similar with Matego 600...and Matego has a continuous false alarm on motion detection.

great motion detect WILL result in a lot of false positives. there is no algorithm that will ignore a tree in the wind while recording a bike pass by.

I've a 128GB card in my 12RC and in the environments where I'm parked, I'll still have recordings from the past 3 days. if you're parked in a busy street, this may be an issue. there are a few factors to consider if you want a camera that will record motion or G sensor events while parked.

Do you know if 12RC has a different motion detection algorithm than Matego 600? They have the same shape, processor and sensor. As far as I have seen on RC12, the menu is similar ... and it has no motion detection sensitivity levels.

sensitivity is not adjustable at this time
Thanks for your swift replies.
I understood that RC12 has a lost of focus in direct sunlight and they are going to change the lens. Is there any chance to change/update the firmware (to borrow sensitivity levels from SG9665GC) in the near future?

Thanks for your swift replies.
I understood that RC12 has a lost of focus in direct sunlight and they are going to change the lens. Is there any chance to change/update the firmware (to borrow sensitivity levels from SG9665GC) in the near future?

we have an updated lens already, those are shipping at the moment

it's a different platform to the GC so some of the functionality we have in each is not directly translatable to the other, it's something we'll look into later, development was put on hold until we got the lens sorted as that was a priority

we have an updated lens already, those are shipping at the moment

it's a different platform to the GC so some of the functionality we have in each is not directly translatable to the other, it's something we'll look into later, development was put on hold until we got the lens sorted as that was a priority

Could you please let me know if 12RC uses different motion detection algorithm than Matego 600?

Thanks all for your replies. Even the SGZC12RC seems to be the right option, it has the same feature as MateGo 600 that disappointed me.
I was looking at Lukas, but it is not very discreet. Blackvue could be another option, I am oscillating between old model DR3500FHD (only 32Gb memory) and DR600/650GW. Any sugesstions/issues about Blackvue motion detection and heat resistance?

there are posts here already on Blackvue models about heat and their motion detect performance, better to read up on those

Some questions about motion detection.

When you have it on it will save and lock every file if detected motion ?

Or it will just record the files if detects motion ?

Some questions about motion detection. When you have it on it will save and lock every file if detected motion ? Or it will just record the files if detects motion ?

I have the SGZC12RC. It saves files when it detects motion but doesn't lock them. Only files triggered by the G sensor are saved to the Events Folder.

Unlike @EugenT I haven't noticed it recording almost continuously in sunlight.

Unlike @EugenT I haven't noticed it recording almost continuously in sunlight.

it's going to depend on environmental issues I guess, depends what's going on around, it won't be sunlight that keeps it recording but other movement, changes in lighting etc

I have the SGZC12RC. It saves files when it detects motion but doesn't lock them. Only files triggered by the G sensor are saved to the Events Folder.

Unlike @Eugen I haven't noticed it recording almost continuously in sunlight.

I confirm, it only saves files without lock them.
I was thinking that continuous recording could happened because of different algorithm on MateGo 600 than in SGZC12RC, but jokiin just mentioned that both dash cams have the same settings.

Back