Review: Dome D201 Ambarella A12 2560x1440p HDR GPS Dashcam (Gearbest.com)

Another request to remove speed from the display..
I sure hope that Dome are listening.

Another request to remove speed from the display..
I sure hope that Dome are listening.
Couldn't this just be done in post production if you needed it for court, proof, etc? Throw a black box over the speed using Adobe after effects...

Anything is possible when using Adobe. This isn't about what's possible.
It is about a request from the American market to have the ability to remove the speed stamp from the video, just like you can opt to remove your plate stamp.

Yeah I agree. And in theory customizing what information is rendered on the video should be such an easy thing to code into the gui for the dashcam. And after so many years of all these dashcams being built you'd think the manufacturers would have a standard set of minimum requirements when producing a cam.

Is there a reason why a custom firmware can´t remove the speed stamp, or at least have an option to do it? Shouldn't it be easier to remove the speed stamp compared to improving video quality?

Looks to be an older version of the 201. Does not support GPS and appears to have a different lens. They said it has a f/2.0 aperture and the current ones have f/1.8.
Maybe they have newer ones coming in and they are trying to unload the old?

Any news from Falsificator about a new modified firmware? :)
Thank you!

I ordered the Rove. I'll post an update after I get it. The Amazon questions section say that it's the same as the D201 although it also mentions the 2.0 aperture. The item is on clearance from that seller. If you click on the "used and new from $xx" to see all the sellers, the $79.99 new item says, "Clearance Price !! Limited Stock. GPS Unit not included. You can purchase it separate for $10 online. Final Sale. No Returns unless defective."

It is impossible to get GPS unit for $10 online. I just bought for $22 bucks. It is special GPS module with 2.5mm jack head instead of 3.5mm.
It DOES support GPS function and work.

I also upload three video clips to compare this one with Yi Smart Dash cam and Rexing V6
at raining night (all three were running at the same time, but D201 ran without GPS module)

Rove/Dome D201

Rexing V6

Yi smart Dash Cam

The box is the same as Dome and indicates F=1.8

Image_7ef766b.jpg

and ROVE

Image_dfa325d.jpg

After I got GPS module I tested them again at dark night, I also adjust Rexing v6 to FHD and +1EV

D201 Firmware 2385

V6 FHD +1EV

I don't have any idea if it is a REAL dome DAB201. What do you think?

Last edited:
I'm sure it's the same DAB201's as the others.

I sell the GPS module for about $18 shipped (within the US).

I received my Rove today. The camera info shows DAB201 ZX-A12a55-G-2204L. The box was packaged OK, unlike Andrew's review of the Dome.IMG_20160506_182747051.jpg IMG_20160506_182747051.jpg IMG_20160506_180612053.jpg IMG_20160506_180557553.jpg

The only major issue so far is that when I turn off the car and the camera turns off, then the camera does not save the last file or the last file may be corrupt. I only tested a little bit where I turned off the car twice. There is no file for the first time I turned off the car, and the second time I turned off the car, I see a 500 MB file on the disk that cannot be played back with VLC Player. When I turn off the car, the blue/purple light in the upper right turns off as well and there is no Goodbye chime.

The video quality looks good, but could be better when I look at the street lines. I've been testing in HDR 1440p mode.
I notice some rotation shaking/vibration while the car is stopped; this is most noticeable on the far left and right edges. The suction cup seems strong. I don't know how well it will stick when the weather changes.

Another minor issue is that the microphone is always recording a low amplitude high pitch whine. It is as if the signal to noise ratio is poor for the microphone. The microphone does record the cabin sounds OK but not great.

I'll probably update the firmware later but the camera works out of the box.

The menu system seems intuitive although you must stop recording in order to access the menu. Also the OK button in the bottom right is the record and stop toggle button. The upper right corner power button is also the snapshot photo button; I thought it was the record button at first. The instruction manual seems useless since it labels some buttons/features incorrectly.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The mic noise might be some alternator interference. Does it change pitch at when you rev the engine?

The mic noise might be some alternator interference. Does it change pitch at when you rev the engine?
No. The noise exists even when I turn on camera at home while plugged into wall socket. The noise is in my sample videos.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

What software are you using to play back the video? I watched the first file and didn't notice any whine. The video "wabble" when at a stop is odd. Are those files with the the new firmware installed?

What software are you using to play back the video? I watched the first file and didn't notice any whine. The video "wabble" when at a stop is odd. Are those files with the the new firmware installed?
I use VLC.

The wobble is with old firmware. I didn't test the new one on road yet.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back