Rove R2-4K Dash Cam Ultra HD 2160P NT96660 GPS+WiFi Proper Review

Normally the advertising threads about fake 4K dashcams should be deleted to avoid cheating people.
We should report such threads to administrator to delete them.
On opposite - we should keep it, get vendor straight and post REAL numbers. So it's 4MP dashcam, not 4K. Still better than majority of others which are 2MP (HDTV, 1920x1080).

you're falling into the trap of thinking that bigger numbers are better, there's a lot more to it than that unfortunately
Nope, I only stated factuals. I only mentioned resolution, didn't say "better quality", did I? BTW, I'm professionally involved in video/image processing so tend to watch what I say very carefully. Back to the subject - OV is very good sensor and NT is a good encoder. Married with quality low F optics and one can get top of the line dashcam.

O, wait, you are competing dashcam manufacturer. I love it - competition is what makes products better! Let's the ramble begin :) Everyone would appreciate if you elaborate on "there's a lot more to it than that unfortunately". I'll do my best to contribute as well unless we discuss something which require NDA :)

lens quality/choice makes an obvious difference, that aside individual pixel size of the 4MP sensor compared to the 2MP sensor is a defining factor for our purpose, sensors that are being used at their native res offer better results than ones that are binning, interpolating etc

in marketing speak there's always an assumption that a bigger number is somehow better, 4MP must be better than 2MP, 170° viewing angle is better than 120° viewing angle etc, the cheaper the product, the bigger the claims like it somehow means it's better, sadly a lot of consumers fall into the bigger must be better trap

Agree. Thanks for bring viewing angle issue up. First I doubt 170 is real - is it side-by-side or corner-to-corner? And what about distortions? Gotta go to dpreview.com to see if they cover dashcams using their objective test suite. If not somebody should

You can't prevent people into getting into MARKETING traps but we should help them to find INFORMATION. And if Street Guardian as vendor takes responsible honest approach I applaud you guys. Cheers!

For a 2k cam I am not impressed, I have 2 of these and the quality is shaky and not that clear, I struggle to read number plates unless they have stopped, compared to the Novatek full HD it's is poor at best.
I bought the Novatek from ebay at £26 and I can read number plates in the opposite direction at 70mph no problem.

I don't like the fact you cannot turn the GPS off I don't like it and turning off the speed stamp does not stop it from recording your speed, which here in the UK they will use it to prosecute you for speeding, may as well go back to my cheapo cam.

I consider is normal to not be impressed about a fake dashcam. I hope you can recover the money and all people should ask for money back when they are discovering they bought a fake product. Cheaters should be banned.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I ROVE 2