SG9663DR Installations

Some clear tape like that was pushed on a LCD screen, the last time i was in the building supplies store.

No i have my doubts too, think i will have to go with something that are proven to work.

I've been using a non-3M clear VHB tape for years to hold various cameras around the car, and some fixing jobs around the house. Looks like I've used 15m of the stuff since 2013! I'm placing another order today.

Clear tape does catch the light more than black tape from certain angles when seen from outside. I usually mount on the frit or headliner so the tape colour is barely noticeable.

1593853369547.png

I've been using a non-3M clear VHB tape for years to hold various cameras around the car, and some fixing jobs around the house. Looks like I've used 15m of the stuff since 2013! I'm placing another order today.

Clear tape does catch the light more than black tape from certain angles when seen from outside. I usually mount on the frit or headliner so the tape colour is barely noticeable.

View attachment 52481
yeah I've used the clear VHB tape also, works great, not sure how that reusable tape compares though, the fact that it can be removed and reused though makes me think it might not be the best choice

Oh dear. It's no longer available. I think it's time to switch to black tape.

@jokiin What black tape do you provide with the DR. Is it 5952?

Then it would protrude more into the cabin and I doubt it could be placed behind the review mirror.
Well, it is quite short. E.g. if people are mounting Mobius behind the mirror, surely this can fit as well?
I may be biased, as for many years all cars that my wife and I had all had sensor block behind the rear-view mirror. I thought this becomes more ad more common.

if people are mounting Mobius behind the mirror, surely this can fit as well?
The Mobius by itself has a considerably smaller front profile than almost any other camera one might use as a dashcam. It is however longer than some cameras in the front/back direction, plus it does not come with a mount.

In terms of fitting behind a mirror, the size and position of the mirror and any sensors varies from one car to the next. I reckon the DR is perhaps just as likely as the Mobius to fit between the mirror and the screen.

Many years ago, I was going to buy a pair of Dodd LS475W+ with suction cups to attach to the rear side windows, however I thought the Dodd design was just too big, but I liked the OEM suction cups.

Compact dual remote lens dashcams like the SG9663DR are ideal for rear window side dashcam mounting.
How could anyone mount a massive ThinkPro U1000 to the rear side windows?

I have come up with a breakthrough for quad-cam side dashcam mounting.

Instead of temporarily attaching removable dashcams to the rear side windows which can open/close using suction cups or nano-magic thick gel tapes, now I will almost permanently attach the dual remote lens dashcams directly to the fixed non-opening rear quarter glass panels via the OEM supplied simple 3M dual sided self adhesive tape sort of like below, but of course with the lens pointing out of the glass instead of at us.

When will the SG9663DR be available with 512 GB Down Under so I can purchase two (2) pairs of dual channel dashcams???
I also have numerous friends that I can refer for more SG9663DR sales; they always follow my advice when it comes to motor vehicles.

modern-concept-car-window-blinds-with-blind-set-e90-3-series - Copy.jpg

PS
What model triangular wedge remote lens dashcam is this below?
I think this is even better than the tubular design, and this triangular wedge design is what Dashmellow wants???
Is this triangular wedge design compatible with the SG9663SDR?

This triangular wedge design is much more individual styling and easier to centre the dashcam for a centred image.

However, on second thoughts, the triangular wedge design is more ideal for the steeply raked front and rear windscreens, while the tubular design is still more ideal for the more vertical side windows?

Would it be possible to order the SG9663DR's with these triangular wedges, rather than the tubular design???

a2a166a08760d6f1fc0ae4e299248e2f.jpg

Last edited:
I really hoped for a "bullet" design - basically the same size, but with lens on the edge (where Street Guardian logo is) and a simple rotating joint in the mount. Which would make mount just a bit more complicated, but the whole front footprint would reduce significantly. Plus, moving the joint to the mount (instead of between the camera and mount) would allow, possibly, to remove several mm from top and bottom. Basically, turning it into a much skinnier shape of Mobius. (perpendicular to the front plane)
Then it would protrude more into the cabin and I doubt it could be placed behind the review mirror.
Well, it is quite short. E.g. if people are mounting Mobius behind the mirror, surely this can fit as well?
I may be biased, as for many years all cars that my wife and I had all had sensor block behind the rear-view mirror. I thought this becomes more ad more common.
What Mobius are you referring? I googled "Mobius dash cam" and only get results for action cams and yes a small front facing but over all "Outer Dimensions: approx 71mm(L)*35mm(W)*18mm(H)" And this does not include any sort of mounting that will add to the overall size. I am just asking, not disagreeing, as I don't know what camera you are referring.
I am a bit confused with "all cars that my wife and I had all had sensor block behind the rear-view mirror" not sure what you mean. I think you mean all cars you have had, when you put something behind the rear view mirror it blocks sensors in the rear-view mirror that are facing forward? If so, I agree, and love my OLD 2003 truck without all that crap to deal with.

What Mobius are you referring? I googled "Mobius dash cam" and only get results for action cams and yes a small front facing but over all "Outer Dimensions: approx 71mm(L)*35mm(W)*18mm(H)" And this does not include any sort of mounting that will add to the overall size. I am just asking, not disagreeing, as I don't know what camera you are referring.
Have a look at 3rd post in this thread. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9663dr-installations.42612/#post-516749
You can spot the lens of Mobius cam (action cam, often used by enthusiasts in remotely controlled aircraft models. Or as a dashcam), from driver's side, just under the rear-view mirror.

I think you mean all cars you have had, when you put something behind the rear view mirror it blocks sensors in the rear-view mirror that are facing forward?
We just had almost no space behind the actual rear-view mirror on those cars, as they all had a sensor blocks in that place. (rain sensor, traffic sign and vehicle recognition cameras etc, which is sometimes a VERY useful "crap" :) ) Not the sensors in the mirror - the sensor block is usually glued to the windscreen. Again, like in the photo in 3rd post that i mentioned.

Instead of temporarily attaching removable dashcams to the rear side windows which can open/close using suction cups or nano-magic thick gel tapes, now I will almost permanently attach the dual remote lens dashcams directly to the fixed non-opening rear quarter glass panels via the OEM supplied simple 3M dual sided self adhesive tape sort of like below, but of course with the lens pointing out of the glass instead of at us.

When will the SG9663DR be available with 512 GB Down Under so I can purchase two (2) pairs of dual channel dashcams???
I also have numerous friends that I can refer for more SG9663DR sales; they always follow my advice when it comes to motor vehicles.

PS
What model triangular wedge remote lens dashcam is this below?
I think this is even better than the tubular design, and this triangular wedge design is what Dashmellow wants???
Is this triangular wedge design compatible with the SG9663SDR?

This triangular wedge design is much more individual styling and easier to centre the dashcam for a centred image.

However, on second thoughts, the triangular wedge design is more ideal for the steeply raked front and rear windscreens, while the tubular design is still more ideal for the more vertical side windows?

Would it be possible to order the SG9663DR's with these triangular wedges, rather than the tubular design???

what is the make and model of the vehicle? cabling may be an issue with your proposed mounting location

we can't buy suitable 512GB cards in Australia so not something we can offer at this stage

wedge design wouldn't be suitable for the side windows as pictured

I'd be concerned mounting a cam on a moveable door. It's very tough to mount cables which move in such a way that they don't get damaged, which is why the side cam on my van's passenger side where the doors are is mounted on the body, not the door or it's glass. That does leave it vulnerable to being bumped out of position but I can see that and simply twist it back and I needn't worry about the cabling as it's out of the way.

Especially for side cams, there is no single design that works well for even most of the people- each application is so different that you'd need many cam or mount designs to reach that level. For driving purposes a high mounted cross-the-cabin view might work for some, eliminating cable movement and cam damage issues but you lose the low view a glass mounted cam has and passengers or car parts may get in the way of the view.

Phil

Have a look at 3rd post in this thread. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9663dr-installations.42612/#post-516749
You can spot the lens of Mobius cam (action cam, often used by enthusiasts in remotely controlled aircraft models. Or as a dashcam), from driver's side, just under the rear-view mirror.
I see it. Yes small, but maybe you mean just above the the rear-view mirror.

We just had almost no space behind the actual rear-view mirror on those cars, as they all had a sensor blocks in that place. (rain sensor, traffic sign and vehicle recognition cameras etc, which is sometimes a VERY useful "crap" :) ) Not the sensors in the mirror - the sensor block is usually glued to the windscreen. Again, like in the photo in 3rd post that i mentioned.
Ahh "sensor block" I understand now. I took it as blocking in the way of, not block of sensor(s). LOL yes "crap" with no disrespect to those with newer cars. There is a way much better chance in surviving or even avoiding an accident with all the tech in the new(er) cars than in an old 2003 whatever. New-old, all have good points and bad. I had to have my windscreen replaced 2 years ago for a rock chip, cost me all of $250 usd to replace. I think they charge that just to re-calibrate the built-in camera when they replace the windscreen not to mention the cost of the glass and installation of all the stuff (not crap:rolleyes:) attached to it. My guess is any new car with lots of tech, it will cost between $1,000-$2000 for a new front window replacement so one better keep a low deductible. Lastly, never have I had anything go wrong with my basic car of now 18 years old. We will talk in say 10 years (if you still have the same car(s), lol) as that is about how long a computer is good for and a new car is a computer hurtling down the road. To sum up as I have written before,...If someone wants to "give" me a new car I will take it over my old car, but if I have to spend $30-$60 thousand usd for a new car I want it to last me way past the manufacture bumper to bumper warranty.... say at least 20 years.

2003 is old? My daily driver is a 1991 and with about another $2K invested in it should be carrying me around till the day I die with only maintenance items needed :cool: I'm hoping to get an 03 GMC mini-van back to nearly roadworthy this coming week. New cars are serious money-pits, especially when any repairs are needed, and none are built with the intention of them being on the road 20 years from now :( I'll still be driving my old bus when people's new BMW's have become Chevy's and beer cans :ROFLMAO:

Phil

what is the make and model of the vehicle? cabling may be an issue with your proposed mounting location

we can't buy suitable 512GB cards in Australia so not something we can offer at this stage

wedge design wouldn't be suitable for the side windows as pictured

Don't worry about 512 GB micro SD card; I can get it myself.
What is best make and model? Samsung EVO 512 GB??? Or Sandisk?

It's a 2012-20 Lexus GS350; it's roughly the size of a Camry.

The computer box or whatever you call it would be put in either front central armrest bin, or in the glove box - but I suspect cabling to the glove box might be too short?

I was going to mount the dashcam at the rear door quarter panel glass, then cable to the bottom of the door, then to the central B pillar, and then under the front seat, under the rear floor mats to the front central armrest bin or the glovebox.

I thought cabling should be possible, because I got your old SGZC12RC from the top of the rear windscreen to the C pillar, down the C pillar, down the rear wheel arch, under the rear door scuff plate, to the central B pillar, under the front seat, under the rear floor mat, to the front central armrest bin.

The tubular design is probably more versatile than the fancy triangular wedge design.
Come to think of it, the ThinkWare U1000 unit may not be able to mount vertically on the side windows at all, maybe because the lens cannot rotate 90 degrees???

thinkware_tw_u1000mu32c_u1000_4k_uhd_dash_1504125.jpg

Last edited:
The cable would need to go through the factory rubber grommet in the door, depends which method they use if that is easily doable or not, anything Toyota is generally easier to work on though so you might be in luck

In the US they use the Samsung cards, if parking mode is a consideration I would always suggest using High Endurance cards as the better option, currently that limits you to 256gb though

The cable would need to go through the factory rubber grommet in the door, depends which method they use if that is easily doable or not, anything Toyota is generally easier to work on though so you might be in luck

In the US they use the Samsung cards, if parking mode is a consideration I would always suggest using High Endurance cards as the better option, currently that limits you to 256gb though

That should be enough info for me; I'll make a move I guess...

Back