SG9663DR update

It snowed yesterday here.
The Street Guardian USA office and myself are relocating from Carson City (Northern Nevada) to Fort Lauderdale (South Florida) for a permanent summer. It’s a strange time to be moving but everything is already set in motion for May. (Point of no return).

Hope the increasingly severe hurricanes down that way don't become a problem for you.

I'll be fully insured if something happens. (and out of flood zones) I found a good deal on something new'ish, built to the latest codes. I want to upgrade to a full bunker fortress level home with poured concrete walls in the future. That type of home was the original plan actually, but I walked away from the one I originally wanted and scaled way back for now last minute with the economy crashing. Sales are down everywhere as you can imagine.

I'll be fully insured if something happens. (and out of flood zones) I found a good deal on something new'ish, built to the latest codes. I want to upgrade to a full bunker fortress level home with poured concrete walls in the future. That type of home was the original plan actually, but I walked away from the one I originally wanted and scaled way back for now last minute with the economy crashing. Sales are down everywhere as you can imagine.

I saw a report on TV where they interviewed a guy in Puerto Rico and showed the damage to his "fortress level home" after Category 5 Hurricane Maria hit. Basically, the hurricane proof windows failed and there was some roof damage. Not too bad all in all, mostly water damage, but it spoke to the issue that we are now dealing with Cat 5 hurricanes and how there is only so much you can do to protect yourself.

I don't think i would want any tiles or shingles on the roof, and i would also like a durable sub roof just in case something above it fail, so i like the Mandatory Danish sub roofing that will keep water out just fine.

I must also admit though Denmark don't get category 5 hurricanes we do still get a nice storm now and then, and i am amazed how thatched roofs stay in place, even on houses on the western part of Jutland a stone throw or 2 from the coast.
Im like for god sake its just weeds and its not like 7 miles of wires have been used to keep it in place.

And there are also the seaweed houses, traditionally found on the island læsø , and that's just a whole other level of WTF.

laesoe_tangtag_trollebo.jpg

tangtag.jpg

It is +6 feet thick layer of the seaweed we Danes call eel grass ( sort of look like regular grass growing in the water )

Last edited:
I don't think that Tesla roof will hold up to a category 5, but i assume they have been tested in a wind tunnel to cope with regular winds.

You'll do fine with that kind of construction unless you get a direct hit from a strong tornado, or a car or boat gets rammed into it by storm winds and flooding- kind of tough to build against things like that. You might consider having a 'safe room' done as funds allow later on; these have been proven to be good protection against all but the very worst storms.

This disease is bad enough but the economic fallout could become worse. Thing is that the economic part is going to hit everyone pretty much the same way worldwide, so I'm not sure what the outcome might be but we're all going to lose a few weeks or more of our income at the very least. We can replace money eventually but we can't replace human lives ;)

Phil

how are your chinese counterparts going on this?

PS. are grumpy old Danes a bad thing in FT lauderdale during spring break or are that just too creepy.

Kids probably dont know grey = good

I am sure spring break are as hefty as Ibiza was in the late 80ties,,,,,, party - party - party, and fornicating if you are the kind of person that do one night stands,,,,,, which i am when i an drunk.

No but all the spring breakers that decided to party hard and live it up, ignoring the coronavirus outbreak, are now a bad thing! A few dozen came back home with the Coronavirus. Florida Governor is a nitwit. Read the guy didn't want to shut things down in a "pandemic" because his state would lose out on tons of tourist dollars.

Ah yes, nothing supersedes common sense like making money and then letting those same nitwits share their gift of coronavirus with the people back home.

laesoe_tangtag_trollebo.jpg

tangtag.jpg

It is +6 feet thick layer of the seaweed we Danes call eel grass ( sort of look like regular grass growing in the water )

Danish ingenuity post Coronavirus recession. When everyone is broke and out of work, a little DIY + Mcgyver Skills, to build a house the bank can't take away.

Actually there's a fairly large number of folks in the US doing homes which "the bank can't take away" but it's not always an easy process, and in some places it's impossible because standard building codes do not allow for any kind of non-standard construction, no matter how good it might be :( Many of those same people are also going to 'off-grid' electric power for similar reasons. In many poorer places, coastal fishermen live in flimsy shacks rather than storm-resistant homes because it's easier and better for them to move inland to safety while the storm does it's damage, then throw another shack together cheaply and quickly when it's over. It's a different approach to the problem but entirely equal in the results obtained ;) While I'm all for storm-resistant housing, when you make it a requirement you're automatically excluding those who cannot afford to build such structures, and you end up not having the lower-paid people normally required for the more menial jobs like stores, restaurants, lawn care, and building construction which makes the situation even worse and less sustainable in the end. Everything in life is a compromise of sorts but there's almost always some way to make things work out if you allow for that.

There's a huge 'gentrification' going on here locally and it's causing the loss of most of the lower-class neighborhoods which most of the people here lived in. It's become nearly impossible for local small businesses to find the staffing they need to keep their doors open now, something of a self-fulfilling prophecy which will in the end become like Detroit has become: an urban ghost town falling down with neglect where nobody wants to live and where once valuable property has become worthless. Homes without people in them are a waste, and at some point all of Florida, Southern California,New York City, and other places where nature itself does not make sustaining their dense populations easy are all going to turn to dust because we haven't learned that even though we can build against nature's ravages we still have to live with it because we can't change it, nor should we. We like to think of ourselves as an intelligent species but the longer I live the more I wonder about that premise :rolleyes: Living with nature instead of trying to beat it into submision has worked rather well for our entire history but that seems to be a forgotten lesson these days. Enjoy it while you can- just don't expect it to last forever because nothing mankind can do is capable of doing that unless we're living with our world instead of fighting it.

Phil

Actually there's a fairly large number of folks in the US doing homes which "the bank can't take away"
In many places here in the US, it’s not just the bank you have to worry about but the government. Here in Texas, property taxes are ruthless and eternal. In some places people who have long since retired (due to age or medical issues) and living on a fixed income and did the responsible thing to pay off their mortgage long ago still have to divert hundreds of dollars every month to pay property taxes alone, based purely on the notion of how much they might could theoretically sell their property for that they bought back in whatever forgotten decade. I have a modest house that still demands ~$750/mo in taxes alone. People in rural areas on land they bought in the ‘70s or whatever have it even rougher because in theory someone with money could come in and buy their land for some number and that’s what they have to pay taxes on.

So true :( Many old family farms here are gone because the 'city' grew out to those once-rural areas, and what was once low-valued farmland because prime property for a housing subdivision :eek: I'm proud of my trade in life of building things, but I hate that by me doing it I am adding to this kind of wrongness and hurting innocent people in the process. It really shouldn't be the way it is.

Phil

In many places here in the US, it’s not just the bank you have to worry about but the government. Here in Texas, property taxes are ruthless and eternal. In some places people who have long since retired (due to age or medical issues) and living on a fixed income and did the responsible thing to pay off their mortgage long ago still have to divert hundreds of dollars every month to pay property taxes alone, based purely on the notion of how much they might could theoretically sell their property for that they bought back in whatever forgotten decade. I have a modest house that still demands ~$750/mo in taxes alone. People in rural areas on land they bought in the ‘70s or whatever have it even rougher because in theory someone with money could come in and buy their land for some number and that’s what they have to pay taxes on.
Another Texan here. Thankfully we have the opportunity to protest the value the tax authority arbitrarily assigns each year (which of course always goes up way more than is realistic based on comps) but it's a hassle I'd rather not deal with. As it happens I got the appraisal just last week. Hopefully their online protest system isn't overwhelmed with everyone having to be at home right now.

Still, I'd rather have our current sales tax and property tax than state income tax.

Back