SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd card to alternate, i.e. take one out to review it on computer and put the 2nd one in....then repeat etc. This way there is always a card in the cam, and no rush to finish whatever "reviewing" I was doing.

a lot of people do this

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd card to alternate, i.e. take one out to review it on computer and put the 2nd one in....then repeat etc. This way there is always a card in the cam, and no rush to finish whatever "reviewing" I was doing.
That's a good idea except that the cost of additional cards will really add up, if one's using high capacity cards and multiple cameras.

Last edited:
we had a shutdown sound previously but had to remove it, it causes other issues
That's unfortunate. That was something I was going to suggest to Viofo for the A119, but I assume they will run into the same issues you did.

That's a good idea except that the cost of additional cards will really add up, if one's using high capacity cards and multiple cameras.

I haven't priced up any cards yet and only have 1 camera to worry about, but yeah, I can see it would be costly for several cameras.

That's unfortunate. That was something I was going to suggest to Viofo for the A119, but I assume they will run into the same issues you did.

maybe, maybe not, we'll be debugging this platform soon so will know then, once we do then anything we work out will end up flowing into the Viofo product at some stage

maybe, maybe not, we'll be debugging this platform soon so will know then, once we do then anything we work out will end up flowing into the Viofo product at some stage
How so? I thought you only delivered binary firmware. Does your work get back into some open source repository or something?

How so? I thought you only delivered binary firmware. Does your work get back into some open source repository or something?

fixes we request in the SDK end up back in the system for others to access, some will benefit from this, many won't, that can be for various reasons, they don't know, or worse don't care, never bother updating to newer SDK etc

Sounds to me like your waiting for Novatek to program things you want instead of using the SDK to do it yourself.

Sounds to me like your waiting for Novatek to program things you want instead of using the SDK to do it yourself.

we do our own programming, if something we want to do isn't supported we have to rely on getting an updated SDK, changes that end up in the SDK are there for anyone else to use also, doesn't mean they can automatically have the same functionality just because the SDK can support it, they still need to know what to do

I thought of doing this, but knowing me, I will want to pull the second card out for review when I haven't even reviewed the first one, so I will end up in the same situation, only with more footage to review. Having only one dedicated card per dashcam encourages me to not procrastinate in reviewing the footage.

I'd also like everyone to know that even though I've been following more closely for the past 5 pages, prior to that, I was too busy and had to go through about 40 pages of replies at once, and I think I deserve some sort of recognition for it ;)

I have also decided to use one of the spare windshield mounts to use my rear V2 unit on the front along with the other V2 to compare settings side by side and hopefully provide some useful contribution. I wonder how many users here went overboard like me and got more than one of these units in their cars? (other than Jokiin and Pier 28)

I have also decided to use one of the spare windshield mounts to use my rear V2 unit on the front along with the other V2 to compare settings side by side and hopefully provide some useful contribution. I wonder how many users here went overboard like me and got more than one of these units in their cars? (other than Jokiin and Pier 28)

we have a few users that do this but it's always helpful regardless

I agree, not currently supported in the SDK though or it would be there already

If the beep isnt supported on the SDK. Can you change it so the 'Insert SD card' prompt blinks in a lighter color and the screen doesnt turn off?

. I wonder how many users here went overboard like me and got more than one of these units in their cars? (other than Jokiin and Pier 28)
I have 2 as a minimum but sometimes 3 up front.

we do our own programming, if something we want to do isn't supported we have to rely on getting an updated SDK, changes that end up in the SDK are there for anyone else to use also, doesn't mean they can automatically have the same functionality just because the SDK can support it, they still need to know what to do

Maybe I don't understand your relationship with Novatek, or you are using term "SDK" in a different way I'm used to.
When I think of "SDK" I think of MS VisualStudio or other development environment (Java, Android...) Once I have the SDK I can program anything - there is nothing I have to wait from Microsoft, Oracle or Google.
The only exception is when there is a new hardware, say a sensor or newer processor - then obviously I need updated SDK.
You mentioned before that sound notification for absent card is not supported by SDK. Doesn't the existing SDK have simple card IO support? It doesn't make any sense...
Am I missing something?

Maybe I don't understand your relationship with Novatek, or you are using term "SDK" in a different way I'm used to.
When I think of "SDK" I think of MS VisualStudio or other development environment (Java, Android...) Once I have the SDK I can program anything - there is nothing I have to wait from Microsoft, Oracle or Google.

updated SDK sometimes offers extra functionality, new hardware support etc, it's not something that gets updated very often, depends what people request, I don't know that a lot of developers request anything and just work with what they have, or what they know

Let me know what you like Rick and i will request the same from Novatek.

This is actually sort of the same way i got the electrical company interested in putting fiber optic cables in the ground in the area where i had my house, faked 2-300 interest forms on their web page to fake huge interest in fiber in my area. :D

I know not nice, but my max was upped from 6/1 mbit on phone cable to what ever i could afford on fiber cable ( got 30/30 back then same price as 6/1 mbit from phone company )

Some ( Dr. Sheldon Cooper ) say everything is better with Bluetooth, i say everything is better with fiber, that way i get the health freaks on my bandwagon too.

Back