SG9665GC Firmware Wishlist

We use what's available in the Novatek SDK (software development kit). Similar to how Apple iOS is etc). Sometimes we push the chip factory to add things

We use what's available in the Novatek SDK (software development kit). Similar to how Apple iOS is etc). Sometimes we push the chip factory to add things
OK, but that doesn't explain it still. (I am a software engineer myself) and unless there is some kind of hardware limit there is very little I can't do.
For example a customer would ask "I want GC to have 4k resolution in the next firmware update, or I want stereo sound, etc."
Of course these things would fall into "not supported by hardware, or chipset." However, most features asked by users here most definitely don't require any kind of specific chipset functionality.

The foremost aspect of a dashcam ( stability ) and right on the heels of that is street level IQ

The rest is just bells and whistles for me, and in most cases not something that will win me over.

The foremost aspect of a dashcam ( stability ) and right on the heels of that is street level IQ

The rest is just bells and whistles for me, and in most cases not something that will win me over.
No doubt about that. I was just trying to figure out how much actual coding SG engineers do. If all software development is done by Novatek we can't expect any meaningful changes.

I do think the SG guys can do some tweaking on their own, but for the major work i think Novatek have to come into play.

I assume there must be some level of memory cap as to how much custom code there is room for on the ROM, but this is my street level knowledge speaking here.

Is there a specific feature you think is critically missing?
To be honest I really think the SG9665GC as it presently is has been perfect in any playback that I have viewed. Maybe the very slight exposure issues but other than that quite acceptable. As for features, I am ok with the existing ones. I am always hesitant to update beta firmware tweaking , because something else may be affected. I feel that too much tweaking with the existing hardware as is may cause problems. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Not sure about "critical" but "dewarp" would be nice. The chipset and the SDK both support it so it should not be a big deal.
Will that not smooth out the image? Not sure I want this.

Will that not smooth out the image? Not sure I want this.
It should not affect sharpness - just the perspective. I would assume though, if they added it, there would be a setting to turn it on and off.

It should not affect sharpness
How should it not? It's interpolating, you loose the edges etc etc.

ZmhrQOq.png

d7fUufr.jpg

Just an example and in no way properly scaled but you get the idea.

How should it not? It's interpolating, you loose the edges etc etc.
Just an example and in no way properly scaled but you get the idea.

Like I said. It's not for everyone :) Only for us that don't like light poles looking like boomerangs. Default setting could be off.

Im sure they made warping extra strong just to suit the home market :D

GC is medium wide angle and is much better than the previous GM product (which was super wide) it's just enough but not too much

What about if SG was providing tutorials on how to dewarp using popular post production software, maybe with the values ready to load up, perhaps also add other image enhancement tutorials using this or that software.

On a personal note i think the FOV on the GC is alright, but as you know i personal can make do with a little smaller, but then again i am far from the average dashcam user,,, or for that matter average anything :)

Back