SG9665GC Firmware Wishlist

It seems like every firmware feature request is a "practical limitation"....:rolleyes:

ok I'll rephrase that, rather than being a practical limitation it's a sensible limitation, there's no point lowering the bitrate to get more recording time if the impact of doing that is the footage is then not decent quality, needs to be a balance of quality and quantity, there's plenty of stuff we're working on that has been requested, some things that get requested are just not possible due to hardware limitations, not something we can change, some features may end up in newer models we have coming up that run on different hardware so the suggestions are always welcome regardless

Bigger cards can mean more expense, is there any harm in giving people the choice though via a menu setting?

I'd rather jokiin and his team spend time on improvements which give you benefits rather than the option to downgrade settings. If a 128GB card is too expensive maybe you should have bought a cheaper dash cam to start with so you could throw your limited cash towards a larger card.

All suggestions get listened to, not everything that gets asked for is even possible but the ideas are always welcome, it's good to hear what others think are important or desirable features

I'd rather jokiin and his team spend time on improvements which give you benefits rather than the option to downgrade settings. If a 128GB card is too expensive maybe you should have bought a cheaper dash cam to start with so you could throw your limited cash towards a larger card.

When it's over 11 SG9665GC dashcams and most of them are for commercial use then funds do play a part but it's not critical until you start hit sizes over 128GB - especially when it needs to be a reliable card over 128GB. Getting say four hours extra footage can make the difference between capturing a full shift or not at the expense of slightly less but still acceptable quality. Just because it may not be a benefit to you does not mean it isn't a benefit to other people.

A cheaper dashcam may not be as reliable, this is no good whatsoever for commercial use. There's also the fact that dashcams may only be able to accept a certain capacity card so the only solution there would be to reduce the quality or bitrate to gain more footage, unless a better form of compression is developed.

It's not always as straight forward as it seems so worth considering that before making such comments. My point is that it should be an easy option to implement as lots of cameras offer it and having the choice isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
There's also the fact that dashcams may only be able to accept a certain capacity card so the only solution there would be to reduce the quality or bitrate to gain more footage, unless a better form of compression is developed.

we'll do some experiments with this after we finish the next lot of changes and will see how it looks

Can we use low bitrate AAC for audio instead of PCM. NT96655 seems support it as audio codec. May reduce total bitrate a bit.

Would it be possible to get the altitude logged?

when can we expect to see the next firmware and will be a full general release or a beta version?

I think the demand will be limited. Get a bigger card.
Demand for better image quality will stay, I can assure you!

+100. Imo I think sg should strive for the best image quality possible. A bigger card is the way to go, if needed.

Minor suggestions:
-Larger print for vehicle ID settings selector, to see which letter is selected. Maybe i'm going blind! It could be me, too.
-On screen brief instructions when powered up. ie: Press MENU: Settings OK: Lock current video, MIC: mute audio, or whatever.
-Respect daylight savings clock setting/option

I only received mine last night, and installed it this morning, but loving it so far. I look forward to beta testing and trying any future updates.

Mike

1 -Larger print for vehicle ID settings selector, to see which letter is selected. Maybe i'm going blind! It could be me, too.

2 -On screen brief instructions when powered up. ie: Press MENU: Settings OK: Lock current video, MIC: mute audio, or whatever.

3 -Respect daylight savings clock setting/option

1 - will look at that but not sure we have any option to increase the size, may look at some higher contrasting colours as an alternative

2 - that we can't do

3 - for summer time you need to set the timezone one hour ahead of your normal timezone setting, all GPS data is sent as GMT 0 time and any correction to show local time is done by the camera

I'm not familiar with your timezones but @Pier28 answers this question a bit and would know the values needed for each region there

Thank you.

Keep up the great work!

Selectable bitrate or lower resolution would still be a good thing, in particular if you have to leave your car with a garage for a few days then you could get more footage on the card to help prove anything that happen whilst the car is in their care.

we're working on a bunch of firmware changes right now so the timing is good, we always welcome the feedback/ideas, not everything is practical or possible but that doesn't mean the ideas couldn't be used in future products

from your current list

1. not supported by the chipset

2. not supported by the chipset, something we'll probably have in future models though where it can be supported

3. working on that now

4. not at this time but we may add selectable bitrate option in a future update, future models may have this also

5. not possible on this one, may be an option on a future model but would likely relate to parking mode functionality

I know this is an old post - maybe I don't understand the structure of your company...
Why would these features have to be "supported" by chipset? Do you not have your own programmers? Are the "engineers" just "integrators" that can tweak certain (config) settings given them by Novatek? Don't you have a complete control (and source code) of everything running on the camera?

Back