SG9665GC parking mode

Shazz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I'm new to the dashcam world so please bear with me if I say something stupid...

I'm looking to buy a dash cam, and one of the features which I think is a nice-to-have, but not totally necessary, is a parking mode. As I understand it, the SG9665GC doesn't support a parking mode(because it is a capacitor-based camera), but if I hardwire it into my always-on battery supply, it can act as one(that is, recording on motion, or g-force). Is that correct?

And if I do that, I would need some kind of discharge prevention device. I'd rather not rely on voltage cutoff, as that can be finicky and can decrease the lifespan of my battery due to constant cycling. Ideally I'd like to get a cutoff device that cuts off after, say, 2 hours. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers!

Capacitor isn't why SG9665GC isn't optimal for parking mode. (All premium dashcam products use a Capacitor instead of a Battery)
It's because it uses pause resume motion sensor/g-sensor rather than pre-buffer. (meaning a few seconds before each triggered event are recorded
You're welcome to leave it recording non-stop but it will punish the memory card faster of course. Some people do this and buy very large 128GB/200GB memory cards so the loop spans a longer period of time.

The SGZC12SS, SGZC12RC, SGZC12SG supports 5-seconds of pre-buffer for both motion detection and g-sensor triggered events.
The best battery discharge prevention for all products is the PANOBDP MotoPark Multi/Fine Safer.
more info:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/link-forums/battery-discharge-prevention.47/
(you can enable a forced timer cut off as well) This would suite the SG9665GC even leave motion detection off
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...charge-prevention-device-ms-multi-safer.4603/

discharge prevention device = voltage cutoff (that's how it works)

Other add on battery options:
http://shop.lukasdirect.com/lukas-store/accessories/battery-packs

Last edited:
had to edit, was just typing much the same thing as what Pier28 posted

personally I don't think leaving any camera running constantly is a good thing, it's heavy on the hardware

had to edit, was just typing much the same thing as what Pier28 posted

personally I don't think leaving any camera running constantly is a good thing, it's heavy on the hardware

We always reply fast :) agreed, this is why maybe turning on a 2 hour cut-off requested in the OP is better than going with the non-stop until voltage cut-off occurs.
(timed cut-off is an option in the MotoPark)

So is there a summary of what might be recommended settings for the SG if we wire it up to full-time power for limited use as a parking cam as circumstances might warrant?

Would we have to manually stop recording and power the camera down for it to go to sleep and only reactivate if the motion sensor activates it? Maybe I'm not looking at the right documentation, but I can't seem to figure out how the motion sensor is supposed to work unless you manually stop recording when you park, then hit the power button or something to sleep the camera.

Thanks!

So is there a summary of what might be recommended settings for the SG if we wire it up to full-time power for limited use as a parking cam as circumstances might warrant?

Would we have to manually stop recording and power the camera down for it to go to sleep and only reactivate if the motion sensor activates it? Maybe I'm not looking at the right documentation, but I can't seem to figure out how the motion sensor is supposed to work unless you manually stop recording when you park, then hit the power button or something to sleep the camera.

Thanks!

they don't sleep when in motion detect mode, the camera remains on

they don't sleep when in motion detect mode, the camera remains on

So, what is the procedure though... hit stop record, then power button... does that put the camera in "standby" where it is powered on but not recording? I understand the camera element is active to detect motion, but is the previous the sequence for us to place the device in non-recording standby for a pseudo-parking-mode?

Thanks!

motion detect needs to be turned on in the menu, stopping the recording and pressing power would just turn off the camera

Back