SG9665GC Power Draw

DT MI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than my wife thinks I need.
I just measured the power draw on my GC and with the screen on, recording on, and GPS attached the total electrical draw is under 0.5A.

Just thought I post this in case someone is doing a piggy-back with other devices.

that on the 12V side? 6W in total?

That's pretty low, thought it would draw at least 1A.

It was on the 5v side using one of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00L1V82I4

Just went and did a double check on the off chance that I made a mistake (if I did it was the first one ever :D, well other than my first marriage ). When the screen first comes on and recording starts it spikes up to 0.51A and then settles down to 0.43A to 0.46A.

Not surprising, as USB 2.0 ports are only required to output 500mA.
Actually I tested with a dual port 120v to 5v USB wall adapter that provides 2.1A for each output port. I've checked the draw for my tablet and it draws and measures on the meter at about 1.1A so it's not a matter of a 500mA USB limit.

Can you describe how you measure the power draw? I have all the right tools and instruments but I'd like to compare methods of how are you do it.

Can you describe how you measure the power draw? I have all the right tools and instruments but I'd like to compare methods of how are you do it.
- One of these directly into the wall outlet (my model is 4.2A/2.1A each port but I can't find it online) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00QTE09SY
- Plug this into the output of the charger - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00L1V82I4
- Plug a USB to mini-USB charging cable into the output port of the meter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B001TH7GUK
- Plug the charging cable into the camera

- Read the meter

they're all handy tools to have, not sure how accurate these are, better to measure current draw with a multimeter on the 12v supply I think, measuring like this tells you how much current the camera draws but not how much power the adapter is drawing from the 12v supply

they're all handy tools to have, not sure how accurate these are, better to measure current draw with a multimeter on the 12v supply I think, measuring like this tells you how much current the camera draws but not how much power the adapter is drawing from the 12v supply

True, my advanced electronics skills are a bit rusty. (12 months at an Air Force EWS Tech School) It's like riding a bike when I need to dig deeper. I used to be able to calculate the reverse avalanche current of a Zener diode. Now I can hardly remember the difference between a Zener and Regular diode, thank you Wikipedia.

FYI:

-Screen off 260 milliamps

-Screen on 340 milliamps

(GPS plugged in, if GPS is unplugged you can subtract 20 milliamps)

The SG9665GC will use a bit less than a 5w globe that you'd find in a glovebox light or similar.

important thing it still needs 1A input minimum regardless

Hey Pier28, I'm looking at current draw for one of these and wondered how you ended up measuring for your figures?
Did you end up using one of the gadgets linked to earlier or ...... ?

Personally, I'm an old sparky so prefer the "1 ohm resistor in-line, measure voltage drop across the resistor" method but am willing to learn new tricks from you young'ens. ;-)

I ask as my new SG9665GC should be at home waiting for me now and I'm planning on hardwired, always on, with a deep cycle battery so really want to understand power consumption (screen off, no GPS) to plan length of time on battery & hence battery size.

@jokiin can describe how the measurements were taken on his bench. I believe it was the USB tester with LED numbers that goes in between. The numbers posted above should be accurate.

find it odd you are all measuring like this...

I prefer to measure with it fitted to the car and measure the 12v side and include the step down to 5v losses with the normal multimeter set on amps ...

find it odd you are all measuring like this...

I prefer to measure with it fitted to the car and measure the 12v side and include the step down to 5v losses with the normal multimeter set on amps ...
yeah that will give the true reading off the 12V side of things. but have to measure 5V side to get the current draw at 5V though of the camera itself

measuring at the battery is the best way to give you the total current draw, that will vary depending which power supply you're running though, figures quoted are what the camera draws

Back