SG9665GC v2 occasionally recording out-of-focus

I keep thinking that b in your name is a k.

There is definitely a heat component adding to the out of focus issue on my camera. The first picture(6.1.16.jpg) is from yesterday afternoon, temps in the low to mid 70s. The camera stayed in the car all day. The windows were cracked and the camera was not attached to its mount so it wasn't in direct sun. The second picture(6.2.16.jpg) is from today, temps are in the low to mid 80s. I took the camera inside with me for the day. Both are out of focus but yesterdays is very bad. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, I was curious about the heat and thought I would share what I found.

A replacement is on the way, I look forward to trying it out.

Attachments

• 6.1.16.jpg
    6.1.16.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 6.2.16.jpg
    6.2.16.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 39
So I'm starting to have focus issues in both my 9665GCs (V1s) in two different vehicles. At first I thought it was only with one and related to when I flashed it to the latest beta. But my other camera on original V1 firmware is going out of focus as well - and definitely seems heat related. After the car sits the sun, the left side is really out of focus. Video below if from my V1 camera on original firmware. Temps today was around 91F (33C) :

First video: perfect focus with no issue - start of trip and car parked in garage so did not heat up

Download: https://mega.nz/#!l0E1yDTT!w9Nss4xnHdDw59x_HEX3plkEKDQXFXolD2G2-NYIStY

Second video: same trip, car parked outside in Florida sun for about 3 1/2 hours. Left side out of focus.

Download: https://mega.nz/#!ohNQjbiK!-OXl9DsBfzXa7oHtje-cCnBCHzizAjtpSCqEuiXJP6k

Third video: same trip, about 30 minutes later - focused has improved as car and camera have cooled off, but not perfect

Download: https://mega.nz/#!MhMhzTzD!FgI8N9c28U3kCDqLAzPXoJZ81gGyunOsw_WN1SCI_Ic

Have similar issue with my other V1 on the beta firmware. For me, not related to exposure to extreme cold - didn't even reach freezing this year in Florida. Any ideas?

Just wanted to provide feedback that I received a replacement V2 unit for one of my V1s. My first run today was great - no focus issue after sitting in the hot sun today for 8+ hours. Thanks to the great support at Pier28 for a painless return, even out of warranty.

Hopefully the unit I sent can help diagnose an issue in V1s - would seem a low probability that this issue is just with mine when I have 2 units exhibiting the same symptoms. Or not, maybe I'm unlucky ;)

Hopefully the unit I sent can help diagnose an issue in V1s - would seem a low probability that this issue is just with mine when I have 2 units exhibiting the same symptoms. Or not, maybe I'm unlucky ;)

once we've had a chance to check your return we'll work something out with you for the second unit

I believe my v1 has a heat issue with focus too. When cool or I've parked in the shade it looks pretty good. In the sun for an hour or two and it heads downhill. I've messed with it enough, finally replaced it with a Trancend camera that does not have this issue but boy is it conspicuous compared to to the v1! Great video so far though.

Moved the v1 to my daughters car so I will test some more in there and see if it keeps up with the focus issues in a whole different car. Have a Joovuu X cam on the way to play with and compare video on too.

Back