SG9665GC V3 keeps "reformatting" itself periodically & endlessly?

ok, I take it you're a Mac user with a .Trashes folder? in which case formatting in the camera after you've had the card in the computer each time is a must
After each time I've had it in the computer ... haven't been doing that. Good to know.
Is there some reason I'm only running into this '.Trashes' issue now on the V3 and not on the V1 over the previous 6 months? Luck?

After each time I've had it in the computer ... haven't been doing that. Good to know.
Is there some reason I'm only running into this '.Trashes' issue now on the V3 and not on the V1 over the previous 6 months? Luck?
It won't trip up every time but at some point it will prevent it recycling correctly as the FAT doesn't know about the trash folder, safest way is just get into the habit of formatting each time

It won't trip up every time but at some point it will prevent it recycling correctly as the FAT doesn't know about the trash folder, safest way is just get into the habit of formatting each time

What I've done just now instead, as a bit of an experiment, is deleted the '.Trashes' folder via the terminal and created a file called '.Trashes' instead. Maybe that'll work without having to reformat and blow everything away each time I get a file off the card.

Better to reformat, if you add or remove any files in your computer will only make things worse, the Mac creates hidden files that the camera can't see

Better to reformat, if you add or remove any files in your computer will only make things worse, the Mac creates hidden files that the camera can't see

Noted. I'm going to give this a try, though. And if I still run into issues, I'll know what to do next.

Are camera settings stored on the camera, or on the card?
If I do end up having to reformat all the time, will I have to re-enter my camera settings?

It does create hidden files, but generally speaking if you empty the trash after deleting any files from a memory card you should not have a problem. It sounds like something else is going on here.

It does create hidden files, but generally speaking if you empty the trash after deleting any files from a memory card you should not have a problem. It sounds like something else is going on here.
I don't think there would still be files in a trashes folder if it had been emptied though, card handling certainly could be playing a part

I don't think there would still be files in a trashes folder if it had been emptied though, card handling certainly could be playing a part

Despite the hidden files (which are minuscule btw) I've not experienced any issue like this on any memory card from any camera using those cards on Macs & Windows. If the new V3 is having card handling issues then the problem is with the camera and the user of the camera should not have to reformat the card each and every time to achieve normal functionality.

Despite the hidden files (which are minuscule btw) I've not experienced any issue like this on any memory card from any camera using those cards on Macs & Windows. If the new V3 is having card handling issues then the problem is with the camera and the user of the camera should not have to reformat the card each and every time to achieve normal functionality.

files build up over a period of time, they may be small but it all adds up, poor handling is the issue, there's no difference in the file management between V1 or V3, formatting the cards in the camera just resets the allocation table and tells the camera that all of the card space is free to use

files build up over a period of time, they may be small but it all adds up, poor handling is the issue, there's no difference in the file management between V1 or V3, formatting the cards in the camera just resets the allocation table and tells the camera that all of the card space is free to use

Not ever run into this problem despite long periods of never even bothering to reformat the cards in my cams. This includes the V2 SG9665GC. On the GC I review footage periodically, remove files from the memory card, empty the trash on the Mac, pop the card back into the camera and it is smooth sailing until whenever I decide to review footage again which may not be for some time. For the last year or so this has been with a 64GB Samsung EVO card, before that a Transcend. Once in a long while I reformat for preventive maintenance and good measure (maybe every month or so) but that's about it. Something else must be happening here for this to manifest on the V3 and not the V1 as in @fishbert's experience.

I think I'm satisfied for the moment that the root cause of the problems I've been having on the V3 was probably a card handling issue on my part. I'm still going to keep my eye out for funny behavior from the camera just in case, but I'm not going to point fingers at the V3 until/unless I see something else happen going forward.

Although, I still reserve the right to be annoyed by the recording LED on the V3 being dimmer and harder to see than on the V1. Not sure if it's because of an electrical design change, a mechanical packaging design change, or simple manufacturing variation... just wish it was the same as before.

empty the trash on the Mac

I suspect this has a lot to do with you not having problems

I'm not Mac expert but if files are found in a hidden .Trashes folder this to me would indicate that the trash hasn't been emptied on the Mac, finding videos in this file would account for a lot more space than just some empty directories so can easily account for enough space to cause recycling issues/lockup

I think I'm satisfied for the moment that the root cause of the problems I've been having on the V3 was probably a card handling issue on my part. I'm still going to keep my eye out for funny behavior from the camera just in case, but I'm not going to point fingers at the V3 until/unless I see something else happen going forward.

Although, I still reserve the right to be annoyed by the recording LED on the V3 being dimmer and harder to see than on the V1. Not sure if it's because of an electrical design change, a mechanical packaging design change, or simple manufacturing variation... just wish it was the same as before.

Have you tried different memory cards?

I suspect this has a lot to do with you not having problems

I'm not Mac expert but if files are found in a hidden .Trashes folder this to me would indicate that the trash hasn't been emptied on the Mac, finding videos in this file would account for a lot more space than just some empty directories so can easily account for enough space to cause recycling issues/lockup

Yes, that's basically what I was saying. Failing to remember to empty the trash after removing files from a memory card or thumb drive is a common problem. The files are still there unless the trash is emptied even if you no longer see them on the directory.

Yes, that's basically what I was saying. Failing to remember to empty the trash after removing files from a memory card or thumb drive is a common problem. The files are still there unless the trash is emptied even if you no longer see them on the directory.

yes understood you do it correctly, just pointed it out as others may not be as aware of the difference it can make

yes understood you do it correctly, just pointed it out as others may not be as aware of the difference it can make

Speaking of emptying the trash a friend of mine's elderly father had all kinds of trouble with his Mac and at first nobody could figure out what what wrong. It turned out he had been dragging items to the trash bin for like a year and a half and had never emptied it! :eek: He didn't know you needed to.

Speaking of emptying the trash friend of mine's elderly father had all kinds of trouble with his Mac and at first nobody could figure out what what wrong. It turned out he had been dragging items to the trash bin for like a year and a half and had never emptied it! :eek: He didn't know you needed to.

the Mac doesn't have any size limitation on the trash folder?

the Mac doesn't have any size limitation on the trash folder?

I dunno. Never thought about it. That was on older version of the OS though, maybe things are different now.

Edit: Just looked it up.

"Since this mechanism is just a directory on your startup disk, you technically have your entire startup disk's space to use up for Trash if you wanted to."

I dunno. Never thought about it.

I'm not familiar enough with Mac to know this sort of stuff, I know in Windows you have a percentage allocation of hard drive space allowed and it will start deleting the oldest stuff when you get to it

along the same sort of lines as this in my last work place we used an exchange server for mail and we had some of the less tech savvy staff would actually have multiple folders created in their deleted items folder and somehow thought storing emails there wasn't counting toward their folder size problems :facepalm:

I'm not familiar enough with Mac to know this sort of stuff, I know in Windows you have a percentage allocation of hard drive space allowed and it will start deleting the oldest stuff when you get to it

along the same sort of lines as this in my last work place we used an exchange server for mail and we had some of the less tech savvy staff would actually have multiple folders created in their deleted items folder and somehow thought storing emails there wasn't counting toward their folder size problems :facepalm:

See my edit above.

Come to think about it, over the years I have had to throw away and delete absolutely enormous files. I'm talking about versions of entire book length publications and advertising campaigns with embedded illustrations and Photoshop files. Trash gobbled them up no problem.

Back