SGZC12RC - blurry and out of focus?

For a lot of designs if they didn't have HDMI it wouldn't be possible to adjust the focus correctly

what sort of issue?

some people have reported some focal shift, we're looking at it now to confirm the cause and see what needs to be done, if it's just a batch problem perhaps, whatever the case if there's an issue we'll sort it out for those affected

is that with the heat? I haven't had that issue yet, but not that hot up here in last couple of months.

is that with the heat? I haven't had that issue yet, but not that hot up here in last couple of months.

still being investigated, it's rated to 70c run temps so shouldn't happen, a few have cropped up with issues though so we're looking into it

Hello, it seems my SGZC12RC has the same issue as others, the lens being out of focus but mostly in the middle. The edges of the video seem to be clearer.

If I purchased through Amazon, should I attempt to exchange through there?

Hello, it seems my SGZC12RC has the same issue as others, the lens being out of focus but mostly in the middle. The edges of the video seem to be clearer.

I don't know how many of these cameras have been sold, but I'm hoping this focus issue affects less than, say, 1% of sales. I have a personal interest in this, as I await delivery of my SGZC12RC :)

I don't know how many of these cameras have been sold, but I'm hoping this focus issue affects less than, say, 1% of sales. I have a personal interest in this, as I await delivery of my SGZC12RC :)

No worries, if any concern - I will help you.

I'll chime in as another user with a very soft image. In reviewing some footage today, I wasn't even able to read a highway sign from more than a few cars away, in bright daylight.

Had I known the 12RC was going to be so soft, I probably would have gone the 9665 route. I do love the stealth factor though! Other than tearing apart the camera, and/or replacing it, any chances this is a software issue and not hardware?

LMR8azg.jpg

I'll chime in as another user with a very soft image. In reviewing some footage today, I wasn't even able to read a highway sign from more than a few cars away, in bright daylight.

Had I known the 12RC was going to be so soft, I probably would have gone the 9665 route. I do love the stealth factor though! Other than tearing apart the camera, and/or replacing it, any chances this is a software issue and not hardware?

LMR8azg.jpg
I tried refocusing over the weekend and still ended up with result similar to this. I probably need to go through more iterations but it'll be raining the next few days.

I'd like to know what the time frame for the fix is, so I can decide if I should keep spending time on tweaking the focus, or just live with it and wait for the fix.

my X1 was from the initial shipment. my lens was definitely suffering from heat related issues. was very, very clear in cool weather but very blurry after just half an hour in the sun. as a temporary solution, jon from pier28 sent me the rear camera from the X2. it seems to be less prone to heat issues but I can still perceive its softness when it's sunny out. I do hope there is a better end solution to come. I really, really like how dependable it has been otherwise.

N1yOODU.jpg

Updated screenshot with the outside temperature in the 80's and AC running in the car. As you can see, license plates and even highway signs are un-readable and blurry.

Moving from an older dash cam, I thought I'd maybe made the wrong choice. That, and possibly I was being too picky ... but good to know that it wasn't just me. :D

Anyway, glad that it is being addressed.

Back