SGZC12RC - blurry and out of focus?

Looking forward to this asap. I wanted to get this installed in time for a holiday trip across France in August:)

The new lens may but may not optically outperform the existing lens. It's development is to address the heat-related focus shift.

The existing lens will probably perform well during your holiday. Focus shift is only likely to manifest itself when the car is left parked in the sun. When you get the AirCon going again, focus should be restored to normal within, say, 10 minutes or so.

I think its great to be positive, and that's a commendable attitude. I don't think however its acceptable to be expected to buy what is, after all, an underdeveloped product, because of the current inherent defect that appears in hot conditions. Would you buy a tv that goes out of focus when it warms up with the manufacturers re-assurance that it will soon be ok when it cools down? I think not.

I am willing to buy this but only once it is sorted. I tend to see this like an aircraft black box - there, doing it stuff in the background, to be called upon if the worst happens. I don't want to spend time other than at the start, to keep checking that its functioning as required.

Not having a go here, just my observations...

Thanks for being patient, the best we can do is clearly communicate the plan of action until we make this product solid again.

The 1st new lens samples we just received from the factory are improved but still don't meet our strict standards. We have 2nd sample lenses in the works and expect new special 3rd party materials we are sourcing to hit the mark. This will unfortunately delay the fix everyone is waiting for. The gears are still turning, so not to worry. We always make things right and Pier28 has no problems with refunds if a current customer can't wait for the resolution.

still better than the blackspews

Coming up on two months since I reported an issue. I truly hope a replacement is in the works, as I've had experiences in the past where it gets dragged on and on until people forget or cut their losses and move on. Any updates?

Coming up on two months since I reported an issue. I truly hope a replacement is in the works, as I've had experiences in the past where it gets dragged on and on until people forget or cut their losses and move on. Any updates?

The following is still the latest update. The first samples we received are at least 50% better, but this of course is not enough to go into production. There is a new sourced material in the works. It takes awhile to find something that does the job because everything is so small in the RC. Thanks for being patient, we are still actively working.

Thanks for being patient, the best we can do is clearly communicate the plan of action until we make this product solid again.

The 1st new lens samples we just received from the factory are improved but still don't meet our strict standards. We have 2nd sample lenses in the works and expect new special 3rd party materials we are sourcing to hit the mark. This will unfortunately delay the fix everyone is waiting for. The gears are still turning, so not to worry. We always make things right and Pier28 has no problems with refunds if a current customer can't wait for the resolution.

yes it's still in the works, not forgotten at all, it does take time though unfortunately

my concern is that once the new and improved lens is out, the weather might not be hot enough to cause the focus shift. if that's the case, then we wont know how much more heat resistant the new lens really is until next summer.

my concern is that once the new and improved lens is out, the weather might not be hot enough to cause the focus shift. if that's the case, then we wont know how much more heat resistant the new lens really is until next summer.
You can always turn up heater in your car ;)

Last edited:
I park in the sun (or fog) for at least 9-10 hours during the work day. I can get focus shift on the X1 lens even when it's under the shade of my hatch spoiler. I think I'll be testing the new lens out pretty thoroughly.

we won't be shipping replacements until we're satisfied they're up to the task, first samples didn't pass our testing so it's being reworked now, frustrating but we don't want to do this twice

will be very hard to find right lens for this camera,
genuine MG600/SGZC12RC lens is very short (much more shorter than any other lenses on the market),
this type of lenses are very sensitive to temp, internal optical elements are closer and any little changes will be visible on the recordings,

the Mobius lens doesn't have focus shift does it?? is that lens bigger than the SGZC12RC?

Hey jokiin, what kind of time scales are you working with on this. As someone who's in the market for a dash cam it's good to see there are people/company's out there that have a sound moral compass.
It is frustrating from the consumers part that we can't get our hands on what we want. To say an updated lens is in the pipeline is a little vague. What are the turn around times with these revisions and if this is the 4th pop at the cherry is it not time to look at a new supplier/manufacturer.

I appreciate that there must be a lot of frustration on your part (not you personally, I mean the retailer). Please don't take my post the wrong way. I'm simply after an expected time scale that you feel is achievable to get the issue resolved. If it's another 3 months away I think I'd start to look at another product. If it's 3-4 weeks then I'd be happy to hold fire.

Have a good weekend people. Stay safe on the roads :-)

Hey jokiin, what kind of time scales are you working with on this.

As a satisfied owner, I'm not too bothered by how long it takes to find the right replacement lens.

I have experienced lens focus shift, but only by deliberately leaving the car parked in direct sunshine with an outside temperature of 31°C. The car dashboard, after 1 hour, was at 70°C according to my IR thermometer. After 10 minutes driving with the aircon on, the focus was back to normal. I haven't observed focus shift on any other occasion.

This is an issue for people in hot climates but, for us in the UK, it's an occasional problem that will be permanently fixed when the replacement lens is finalised. Jokiin needn't rush it on my account.

Back