SGZC12ss turning off

evmedievalol

Reaction score
Country
United States
i have my street guardian hooked up to multi safer for timer and hooked up to the car battery for 24 hours.
i noticed recently that my dashcam turns off after few mins of engine off..
This didn't happen to my previous dash cam..
what could be the problem?

Check your voltage settings, if the weather is cold it will drop down to the cutoff point much faster than it will in hot weather

Check your voltage settings, if the weather is cold it will drop down to the cutoff point much faster than it will in hot weather
i set it pretty high.. 12.3 V? around there. Is this too high? i didn't want to put too much stress on the battery everyday.
Last time i was sitting in the car with engine off after getting to a destination. Definitely not more than 10 mins, maybe little less than 5 mins. It just turned off. it didn't turn back on unless i started the engine again.

If it's cold weather you don't want to set it too low or you could get stuck with a flat battery at some point

Do you have the MultiSafer in the right mode? If you press the button it will change from parking (unswitched BAT) mode to driving (switched ACC) mode. It sounds like you're in the right mod since it stays on for at least a few minutes after parked.

Are you sure the unswitched BAT power source is for sure a constant 24/7 BAT source? you said recently, so assume maybe it was working fine before? (if so that rules out my question) Did you use the multi safer with a previous dashcam?

If you were curious you could set it to 12.0V and see if it lasts more than a few mins?
If the camera just hit the 12.0V cutoff you should be able to start up your car no problem
Curious how old the battery in your car is as well

Do you have the MultiSafer in the right mode? If you press the button it will change from parking (unswitched BAT) mode to driving (switched ACC) mode. It sounds like you're in the right mod since it stays on for at least a few minutes after parked.

Are you sure the unswitched BAT power source is for sure a constant 24/7 BAT source? you said recently, so assume maybe it was working fine before? (if so that rules out my question) Did you use the multi safer with a previous dashcam?

Actually it turns off after few secs. I have my Radar detector also hooked up which shows the voltage live.
Multisafer is set to i think 12.3v. Right when i turn off the engine, i can see the voltage dropping right away. After awhile it drops to about 11.8 or 11.6v

The wire is hooked up to the battery for 24/7.

Maybe i pressed the button and somehow it changed to ACC mode? How do i make sure that it is in Parking mode?

If you were curious you could set it to 12.0V and see if it lasts more than a few mins?
If the camera just hit the 12.0V cutoff you should be able to start up your car no problem
Curious how old the battery in your car is as well
My car starts fine and battery shouldn't be old. 2012 bimmer

Actually it turns off after few secs. I have my Radar detector also hooked up which shows the voltage live.
Multisafer is set to i think 12.3v. Right when i turn off the engine, i can see the voltage dropping right away. After awhile it drops to about 11.8 or 11.6v

The wire is hooked up to the battery for 24/7.

Maybe i pressed the button and somehow it changed to ACC mode? How do i make sure that it is in Parking mode?

What happens if you bypass your hard wire kit and plug directly into the regular cigarette port? This will rule out the fuse/wiring/BDP etc. Try testing as basic of a setup as possible to rule out things.

See LED behavior here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ention-device-ms-multi-safer.4603/#post-54900

When it comes to troubleshooting, first step is removing anything out of the equation and returning to basics so you can gather data in general. We'll go from there.

When it comes to troubleshooting, first step is removing anything out of the equation and returning to basics so you can gather data in general. We'll go from there.

It seems like cam turns off when V hits 12.2. But when connected to cigarette lighter, it turns off when all power cut off by bmw.
That means i gotta lower the power cut off to like 11.6.. Which might be little low though.

It's possible the BAT/unswitched fuse you are tapping into has a lower voltage (more resistance/attenuation) You can try another.
If you think the MotoPark Mulit/Fine safer BDP box is defective we can send you a new one as well to try.

I actually tapped it directly to the battery.
The setting is at 12.3v so when the voltage drops to lower than 12.3 then it would be normal to shut off.
But what im curious is why the voltage drops so quickly. Faster than few months ago..
Battery is getting beat up or ground is bad?

I actually tapped it directly to the battery.
The setting is at 12.3v so when the voltage drops to lower than 12.3 then it would be normal to shut off.
But what im curious is why the voltage drops so quickly. Faster than few months ago..
Battery is getting beat up or ground is bad?

battery performance drops in cold weather

so..no one really cares about running the cam 24/7 during winter time? or is there a solution for this? extra battery or..idk..

with that same amount of money or less, would it be more efficient and powerful to just buy an extra car battery (smaller size), wrap that battery with some sort of material that can keep the battery warm in winter?

with that same amount of money or less, would it be more efficient and powerful to just buy an extra car battery (smaller size), wrap that battery with some sort of material that can keep the battery warm in winter?

if you want to use a car battery it ideally needs to be the deep cycle type (look at yellow top Optima batteries for this) and also needs to be recharged without impacting the vehicle so needs a dual battery isolator with intelligent switching, it's certainly doable, but it's not cheap to set it up properly

A 3rd power pack might be the way to go if you don't want to risk lowering the cutoff in winter.

http://shop.lukasdirect.com/lukas-store/accessories/battery-packs

With 3000MA, how many hours would i be able to get out of in winter? 30 fahrenheit.

if you want to use a car battery it ideally needs to be the deep cycle type (look at yellow top Optima batteries for this) and also needs to be recharged without impacting the vehicle so needs a dual battery isolator with intelligent switching, it's certainly doable, but it's not cheap to set it up properly
I guess i'll skip this option..haha..

Back