Shadow GT680W

Im having an issue with the ciggarette lighter power cable included with the camera. The one with the red push button and led light inside. For about 2 -3 days it will automatically power on when i turn the car on, and the red led light on the ciggarette lighter power cable will turn on. Then randomly when i turn the car on it will not power on, and i wont notice until i look down and see the red light not illuminated and i have to push the red button to turn it on and everything is fine for another couple of days. I never had this problem with a G1W but also that power cable didnt have its own power button. Anyone else experience this?I am thinking about getting a different cigarette power cable that doesnt have a push button like my G1W did.
this is the cable i am speaking of with the red button.
gt300w_charger_LRG.jpg

That happens to me now and again when I use this type of power supply. It is always because I've inadvertently hit the button without realizing it or some of the junk in my console has bumped into the button because of where I have a multi-plug adapter in my console well. That is probably what is happening to yours unless it has some other defect. If it is a matter of a sensitive spring and the button keeps getting pushed when you don't want it to you can easily fashion and attach a small ring of plastic to protect the button from getting pushed.

That happens to me now and again when I use this type of power supply. It is always because I've inadvertently hit the button without realizing it or some of the junk in my console has bumped into the button because of where I have a multi-plug adapter in my console well. That is probably what is happening to yours unless it has some other defect. If it is a matter of a sensitive spring and the button keeps getting pushed when you don't want it to you can easily fashion and attach a small ring of plastic to protect the button from getting pushed.

Ive double checked the possibility of me accidentally hitting it and eliminated that option. It is not near anything at all that could press the button off. I am thinking about hardwiring it. I did notice it had two extra small boxes in the line, what are they for? Is one a ferrite core and the other a voltage converter of some sort? I would imagine the fuse to be built into the cigarette portion itself.

If it has at least 1 amp. Many have only .5 amp.

So i tried the built in USB port in my car and it indeed powers on the camera, however the camera recognizes it as a computer and instantly prompts to select either " Computer hard drive" or " Computer webcam" And i havent found a way around it showing that screen and just powering on normal to record video.

hi guys .my shadow gt680w black doesn't want to start, remain locked on start logo. i never update firmware.(version is v2.2). he work perfect before
what can i do to resolve this problem?
here is video with the problem

Had another glitch this weekend in that on the motorway there is a very small amount of footage missing - this was using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB. I wouldn't have noticed had it not been for the way Registrator Viewer shows the speed throughout the journey and showed a bit greyed out.

As a matter of interest I've bought one of the 64GB Samsung 70MB/s cards from Amazon as it was the fastest card I could find for decent money (after a brief search) and it will be interesting to see if it fixes this.

The 64GB Sandisk in my rear camera seems to have been behaving itself which is why I'm not sure if this up front issue is camera or card related so hopefully getting one of the quickest cards on the market for sequential, 512k and 4k reads and writes will let me know either way.

A friend of mine is thinking of trying the GT680W but wants to start off with the non-GPS model and maybe add GPS later - is that possible?

Sounds a silly question but I wasn't sure if the non-GPS version is exactly the same or whether it lacks the right GPS port or firmware?

Thanks in advance

hardware is the same, firmware .... who knows, they have a very confusing system of firmware updates for this model, the camera works quite well but better to just buy the GPS with the camera so you make sure you get what you need

Thanks mate - that was my biggest worry after everything else I've seen with these!

Hi,

I just got my gt680 i have some issues i wonder if somebody can help.

The unit works fine until i put the gps in then it only record for 10 seconds and stops and resets all the options in the setup. I have firmware 2.9.
Also when i put the gps in the unit restarts?
The button beeps different volumes after 4th button press (ish)

thanks

Thanks for the reply i tried emailing shadow tec. Where do you find the firmware downloads? Maybe i can backwards flash it. I'm returning to amazon on monday and ordered another to see if persists

Contact the seller is best, firmware versions for this model are all over the place

Last edited:
I couldn't find a place the shadow tec site didnt have any. do you have a trusted link

Back