Shadow GT680W

by all over the place I don't mean the location of the files, I mean there's no pattern or logic to the naming convention, they have the same file name for different versions and which you need depends on what colour camera you have and which version of GPS module it came with

Some of the variations with the GT680W firmware have revolved around the different "shells". The original silver and black version (which I believe no longer exists) started out with v2.4. The black version with logos was delivered with v2.6 but worked better and resolved GPS glitches (at least for me) with v2.7. V2.8 then became available but I haven't been able to find a source for that download. Maybe that was for the black no-logo version. Who knows? It's odd the way they've approached these firmware releases for the GT680W. FoxOffer has a blog entry with instructions and downloads for V2.4 and v2.7. It is conceivable that v2.7 might fix your troubles if you feel adventurous. Ultimately. @billknow might know the answers to the GT680W firmware mysteries.

The system will record with gps in if i dont plug the cable fully in but the blue gps logo just flashes all the time. But it flashed all the when its fully plugged in

I noticed that v3.0 is shown in this video:

Updating your Firmware.. a Video how to GT680W

The latest versions I've seen are v2.7 - does anyone know what changes (if any) there are in v3.0 please?

I"m hoping maybe a speed stamp removal!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped Nancylee an email and basically she's said that v3.0 is only for units with the new GPS.

Not sure if there are any other differences.

Hi. I also got the same answer from her. So I will keep the 2.6G that came with the camera since it worked fine for me.
I forgot to say that she mentioned tha there are some hardware changes between the caneras that were released with 2.6g and the ones with the new 3.0g.

Last edited:
finally received mine. it comes with ver 3. one problem is that it wont record gps. the blue gps logo just keeps on blinking all the time the whole trip. foxoffer asked me to take a photo of the gps unit.

I think I can confirm that this gt680w messes up with your phones gps signal as well. I did the same test by placing the gt680w near my phone and my gps signal dropped significantly. This sucks.

I think I can confirm that this gt680w messes up with your phones gps signal as well. I did the same test by placing the gt680w near my phone and my gps signal dropped significantly. This sucks.
Is that just with the gps module plugged in, or when the camera is used without gps as well?

Is that just with the gps module plugged in, or when the camera is used without gps as well?
without the gps module plugged in. i removed the camera from the car. lay my phone somewhere outside with strong gps signal, then i moved the gt680w(on battery power) near my phone and you will see the gps signal drop significantly. when moved away, the gps signal comes back.

update: foxoffer sent me a link to download the latest firmware but noticed that the folder was named RX300_english_V2.5GE_STD. anyways, i just followed the instructions sent to me.

Firmware Update Instructions

1. Format the MicroSD Card

2. Copy the firmware file(s) (.bin) onto the root of the MicroSD Card

3. Connect the camera with charger, the camera will be upgraded automatically

4. After the firmware update is completed be sure to delete the files or you will be prompted to upgrade again

its been 1 hour and nothing is happening except that the led light turned on (still on) and i heard a chime. the screen is just blank. i think my not even 2 days old dash cam is now dead. I mailed foxoffer and still waiting for their reply...

I think you bought it from our ebay store, please try this firmware.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/firmware/gt680w/GT680W_FW_V3.2.zip

I think I sent wrong firmware before.

As you talked "when moved away, the gps signal comes back.", it seems it can record GPS in special condition, so it is not related the firmware.

Wish your camera will be powered on with new firmware.

Also I highly recommend if any problem, please contact us first before open a eBay case.
We are newbie on eBay, keep learning, I'd highly appreciated your understand and cooperation.

hello billknow,

my dashcam is alive again!!! thanks! I haven't tested it yet with the gps module plugged in. I will do it tomorrow and I will update you guys :)

by the way, the gps that is working was from my mobile phone, not from the dashcam :)

anyways, I like your after sales support!!! hope every seller in ebay follows your lead.

what viewer are you guys using that supports gps/map view?

Back