Should VIOFO Introduce Built-In Cloud LTE Across Full Line Of Dash Cams?

Lets be clear...I am not your friend. The examples you give are nonsense and do not compare to the Ring and the abuse and lack of security these house hold items cause.
You are more than welcome to your in correct opinion, friend.

Oh fun. A number of those companies will be there too. I shot a compilation of all the different dashcam companies I saw and what was most interesting with each one. That should hopefully go live next week.

The main trends I saw were things like more companies doing radar, AI (some real and some marketing fluff), and more with cloud features (though who knows how good it is).
Cool. I look forward to watching.

Although I would like to see the option of storing on my own servers since now we have 1/2/3/5 GBPS symmetrical internet, but do not see that as a foreseeable option.

Well i still want to try a smart camera, but i also still dont think it is something i need.
And even if its probably less secure, i would prefer to store on my own NAS VS in someones cloud

I an not at all very geared for having to pay for some cloud service, i can barely live with a second SIM card being needed.

That's the thing, I think as @Vortex Radar said, they'll be introducing these cloud capabilities to stay competitive. Also because you need to add some crap in to differentiate your model from last year and the last generation haha.

Personally, I'm all for it despite the privacy concerns. We all use cloud services in one way or another, and if you take enough steps your data should be (reasonably) safe and protected. You can't stop data hacks completely but that's a discussion for another time.

My biggest concern is the reliability of said cloud services on dash cameras, and how it will fare in intense American and Australian summer heat. If you want to check in on your dash camera and you can't do it , because it's 45C outside (god knows what temperature inside a black car)......

For now, I would settle for my dash cam being able to connect to a hotspot. I got really spoiled with that. I think I stored 2 videos on the cloud and that was just to test it out. I also do not want to pay for storage when I have my own space for storage. I used the cloud services for alerts. It was fairly reliable as long as there is internet. A slight delay in live view, but that was only a few seconds. Playing videos was a toss up though. Some days it would work flawless and others....yeah right! So to not even cross that bridge I would wifi to the camera and download or wait till I got home. (Provided there was something I wanted to save, else I would just let it over write and keep going)

For now, I would settle for my dash cam being able to connect to a hotspot. I got really spoiled with that. I think I stored 2 videos on the cloud and that was just to test it out. I also do not want to pay for storage when I have my own space for storage. I used the cloud services for alerts. It was fairly reliable as long as there is internet. A slight delay in live view, but that was only a few seconds. Playing videos was a toss up though. Some days it would work flawless and others....yeah right! So to not even cross that bridge I would wifi to the camera and download or wait till I got home. (Provided there was something I wanted to save, else I would just let it over write and keep going)
I'm gonna take a page out of @Panzer Platform book and say death to all hotspots haha

Just adds another layer of complexity to the setup, another internet subscription you have to pay for etc. To add to the subscription cost that the dashcam manufacturer will charge, because where are profit margins to be made except services (once they're all doing it)?

Only upside doing wifi hotspot I can think of is that heat generated by the dashcam will be less, compared to LTE but apart from that I'm not feeling it

I'm gonna take a page out of @Panzer Platform book and say death to all hotspots haha

Just adds another layer of complexity to the setup, another internet subscription you have to pay for etc. To add to the subscription cost that the dashcam manufacturer will charge, because where are profit margins to be made except services (once they're all doing it)?

Only upside doing wifi hotspot I can think of is that heat generated by the dashcam will be less, compared to LTE but apart from that I'm not feeling it
Yes, the heat generated from LTE etc..with a 4k cam is a concern. And Blackvue customers were surprised when their trips were uploaded without their knowledge.

I think there is some misunderstanding. I am not talking about "LTE built into the dash cam". Or buying subscription services from the manufacture. I have been doing this for the last 6 years now. And not once did my video's get uploaded to the Blackvue cloud servers without my knowledge. Not sure what others were doing so I can't speak for them, but that never happen to me.

But now I'm going to try out this A139 Pro and try to figure how to make the wifi-station mode viewable over hotspot. It already connects to it, but viewing live view I haven't figured out yet. It works locally, just not through the internet.

I think there is some misunderstanding. I am not talking about "LTE built into the dash cam". Or buying subscription services from the manufacture. I have been doing this for the last 6 years now. And not once did my video's get uploaded to the Blackvue cloud servers without my knowledge. Not sure what others were doing so I can't speak for them, but that never happen to me.

But now I'm going to try out this A139 Pro and try to figure how to make the wifi-station mode viewable over hotspot. It already connects to it, but viewing live view I haven't figured out yet. It works locally, just not through the internet.
I think they fixed it, but scary to think unsuspecting users were not even aware.

I think they fixed it, but scary to think unsuspecting users were not even aware.
But I thought people knew about this sharing? This is why you go through the settings! This is mandatory!

But I thought people knew about this sharing? This is why you go through the settings! This is mandatory!
some people had no clue. They are like some politicians ..lol (Oops should I have gone there..lol)

like some politicians

Well IMO you can not go easy on any politician, their power and the mess they can make are huge so they should expect no slack.
I feel if / when they make it a life career, then they have a too easy time, the pressure of such a important job should be enough for them to only serve a limited time.

But in all fairness, we should probably focus on our own politicians, it is easy to disagree with them in other countries, but as it is far off we are rarely well informed, actually thru a bad press we might even be misinformed.

some people had no clue. They are like some politicians ..lol (Oops should I have gone there..lol)
I have uninstalled and reinstalled that app about 4 times in 6 years and (New phones I carry 2 - 1 Android and 1 Iphone) today makes 5. As far as I can tell it still defaults to that setting being off. So I think some people did not know what they were doing and turned it on thinking it meant something else.

That public sharing looks fun

Back