Side camera experimenting

Its one of the old ones indeed, but not as old as the one i once drove, i swear it almost had Hitlers butt impression on the seat.
The really old one with the split rear window.
33bf9e3b-2016-vwbeetle-70thanniversary-03.jpg

Shortly there after another old German, Mmmmmm car came the other way.

Same order.

M1.jpg
MM1.jpg
M2.jpg
MM2.jpg
M3.jpg
MM3.jpg

Mercedes dont make cars like that anymore, and rightfylly so, they use to last for ever, and why buy a new MERC when the old one still work.

MID 60ties if i am not mistaken.

It is not.
classic-convertible-mercedes-benz.jpg

But thats what MEN drive when they have arrived, fawk little red Italian cars and what have you.

A car like that convertible i would have to soak my hands in CA glue and then bury them deep in my pockets, cuz that one pack a strooooong touchy feely look

Last edited:
Its one of the old ones indeed, but not as old as the one i once drove, i swear it almost had Hitlers butt impression on the seat.
The really old one with the split rear window.
33bf9e3b-2016-vwbeetle-70thanniversary-03.jpg

My first car was an old 1963 VW ragtop I paid $115 USD for. It was a little funky but basically in great shape and was a really fun car to drive! My girlfriend at the time lived in New Jersey and on the way to visit her parents we used to stop at a gas station that was just outside the Bayway Oil Refinery in Elizabeth where they sold 87 octane gasoline for 27 cents per gallon which even back then was crazy cheap. By lifting up on the bumper you could squeeze maybe an extra gallon and a half into the tank.

1963VWbug.jpg

This noisy little illegal thing ( no front plate ) just turned up in my back yard.

20180721165626.jpg

Just did a lens swap on the Maxi, and found out that the battery inside are swollen, so better order a capacitor kit as i am not forced to use it as dashcam only as i no longer trust the X camera of mine to get the capture.

Just did a lens swap on the Maxi, and found out that the battery inside are swollen, so better order a capacitor kit as i am not forced to use it as dashcam only as i no longer trust the X camera of mine to get the capture.

gee that was quick, not like it's old

I have forgotten it in the car a couple of days, also assuming the battery inside the Innovv C3 looks the same, maybe even worse cuz it have been in the car every day for years.

Back in the "old days" before you could easily buy dash cams with super-capacitors I had battery operated cameras that were installed in my truck for many, many months at a time (years actually) both in winter and summer. I can only recall one swollen battery in my old GT-300W. Amazingly, one older camera, the DR-32 which I installed in 2013 and has been taken out of service long ago is still working and the battery still works and is not swollen! I know because I used it as a temporray CCTV camera a few months ago when I was waiting for a replacement cable to arrive. Somehow, leaving a new Maxi in a car for a few days and having the battery swell up doesn't make sense. Maybe it was just a defective battery to begin with?

It was fine when it was new, cuz i had the 2 shells apart to take a peak inside and tweak the focus a little.
I have been thinking if the Joovuu X cam capacitor kit can be used in the Maxi, i might give that a try later on.

The older LiPo batteries had thicker cell separation layers, which may explain their apparently better heat-resistance. Those have been made as thin as possible now in the never-ending quest for high energy density which also makes them more sensitive to heat. The lower processor values in the older cams may have something to do with this too. Right now I've had to put my cheapo G1W clone back in service and it's battery is holding on better than I expected it to in the heat here. It worries me such that I won't have it on unless I'm driving so I can keep an eye on it.

Lots to catch up on here, missed everyone during my time away. Hoping to get back into the game again soon!

Phil

Glad to have you back Saw man (y)

If it's LiPo and not Nimh in there, (I thought Mobius used NiMh), just get it out of the house and into the garden. A swollen battery is a concern and would be down the garden at my house, but very much more so if it's a high energy type. I recently looked into batteries for powering parking mode, but practically every manufacturer / fire department recommends you don't leave or put LiPo in a car. In fact many say don't store them in your house.

This is why LiPo's are potentially so dangerous:

I would say these guys were very lucky - obviously the battery was damaged, but it seems there was no visible indicator and it wasn't charging or discharging just sitting on the side.

Another one where the battery wasn't on charge - drone battery this time - note the swelling (uncased battery) - a prime indicator of the battery shorting internally:

There is a new technology developed for the military apparently that uses salt water as the electrolyte and the effect of this is the battery is fireproof. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear this tech has made the market yet.

In the meantime, most fire departments continue to say don't leave / put LiPo's in your car.

I just saw this e scooter go off in a big way during charging.

I just saw this e scooter go off in a big way during charging.

The music and sound effects made it really big, but I think in all these videos, it is only the battery that burned, it didn't set fire to other things, and they were all high current batteries, not the 0.5 amps we need for dashcams where they can fuse before they create flames so end up just making smoke. Don't use a drone battery for your dashcam!

According to advice on cars it's not the voltage draw but the temperatures inside cars. LiPo's don't respond well to either high or low temperatures. Also, although no harm was done there, there have been several premises burnt to the ground by LiPo failures:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1201043-Lipo-fire-took-my-house-and-everything-I-own

http://thedronegirl.com/2015/02/03/shop-burns-down-after-suspected-lipo-fire/

There's no doubt charging is the major risk factor. But unfortunately, even without damage, these batteries can develop and internal short at any time, and if they do, they will combust vigorously to say the least.

One other warning, a video above mentioned LiPo bags. It would appear if Youtube videos are to be believed that many of these don't work either. Part 1 of a 3 Part testing series here:

I'm all for getting parking mode, but atm, it appears there isn't a safe battery method given the temperature swings in the average parked car.

PS sorry to divert the thread Kamkar, but thought this was too important not to mention.

@c4rc4m, you previously owned a Mobius so you should know that it used a Li-Po battery. No dash cam or action cam ever made uses Ni-Mh type. Ni-Mh has the wrong voltage and not enough energy density.

A swollen battery is not a reason to panic and run out of the house with, especially the foil Li-Po type that can expand quite a bit without bursting. And even if they do, the don't necessarily catch fire.

As for the safety of using Li-Po battery packs in automobiles thousands of people do it all the time. It just requires common sense and good charging and maintenance practices. Personally, I've been using them in my vehicle for four and a half years in all kinds of extreme conditions without mishap. Time and time again, everything you put forth here on this forum is based on things you read on the internet and experience only vicariously rather than ever having hands on understanding of the subject.

Last edited:
Indeed we have shot several .22 airgun pellets into a fully charged 3 cell 5000 mah battery ( one of the first commercial RC lipo batteres, and the damn thing just wouldn't go up in fire like we wanted it to with 2 video cameras aimed at it, so a real buzz kill for us.
Not least my friend who paind a fortune for that battery when it came out, and only got to use it 3 times before it turned weierd and then just collected dust on a shelf for 5 years or so.

Dashmallow, many Fire departments specifically warn now that they should never be left alone when charging or stored indoors and they shouldn't be left in vehicles.

At the end of the day, the risk is small but higher than with other battery types, and it's each individuals choice. However, that doesn't mean the dangers should be hidden. Some fire safety advice here but not in specifically in relation to cars.

http://www.essex-fire.gov.uk/news/Take_charge_of_your_safety_LiPo_batteries/

Dashmallow, many Fire departments specifically warn now that they should never be left alone when charging or stored indoors and they shouldn't be left in vehicles.

At the end of the day, the risk is small but higher than with other battery types, and it's each individuals choice. However, that doesn't mean the dangers should be hidden. Some fire safety advice here but not in specifically in relation to cars.

http://www.essex-fire.gov.uk/news/Take_charge_of_your_safety_LiPo_batteries/

That's what fire departments do whether their advice is practical in the real world or not. Nothing in the link you posted says to not use Lipo batteries in an automobile, BTW. Certainly, lithium battery packs should NOT be charged in an automobile as I've stated on this forum many times. And lithium batteries have become far more stable than they were in the past when fire departments started handing out such advice. Fires and mishaps do occur but the frequency of events is quite rare these days and many such mishaps occur at the hands of people who are not familiar with common sense procedures in handling these batteries or about the potential hazards in the first place.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Mobius Maxi 7
J Mobius Maxi 5
Back