SJCam SJ7 Star 4k?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24437
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24437

Specifications for the new 4k action cam lists the resolution as 2880x2160. How the heck can they call the resolution 2880x2160 4k? Everybody else with native 4k gives their resolution as 3880 by 2160!

This false 4K advertising is the usual way to do business for poor companies. GitUp Git2 offered the same resolution much before SJ7 but was not advertised as 4K action camera ever by the manufacturer.
GitUp is the only Chinese company which have this 2880x2160 resolution and was not advertised as 4K camera.
Online stores are full of fake 4K noname cameras and SJcam is one of them with at least 3 models.

People should know that a 4K video is not only a resolution , it must be also a quality image and 2-3 years from now they will buy just the resolution offered by the ~$200 cameras. 4K will start to be great when bigger sensors will be used .

enjoy ,
Mtz

Sj7 Star should be real 4K 3840x2160. But maybe it can also offer 2880x2160.

enjoy,
Mtz

Why don't you bother to read the specs before rushing to post. These have been posted on the SJCAM website for the past 3 or 4 weeks - easy to read. http://sjcamhd.com/product/sj7-star/ Takes only one minute's checking before you post garbage!

The SJ7 Star uses a combination of an Ambarella A12S75 chipset and a Sony IMX117 Sensor/lens - which is perfectly capable of TRUE 4K resolution.

As per the Website the following 4K and 2K resolutions are ALL possible :

4K: 3840×2160 16:9 30fps
4K: 3840×2160 16:9 25fps SuperView (Ultra Wide FOV with distortion correction)
2160P: 2880×2160 4:3 30fps
2.7K: 2704×2028 4:3 30fps
2.7K: 2704×1520 16:9 30fps SuperView
2.7K: 2704×1520 16:9 30fps
2.5K: 2560×1440 16:9 60/30 fps
1440P: 1920×1440 4:3 60/30 fps

Native footage from Pre-release models posted so far looks stunning on a 4K UHD screen.

Last edited:
Why don't you bother to read the specs before rushing to post. These have been posted on the SJCAM website for the past 3 or 4 weeks - easy to read. http://sjcamhd.com/product/sj7-star/ Takes only one minute's checking before you post garbage!

The SJ7 Star uses a combination of an Ambarella A12S75 chipset and a Sony IMX117 Sensor/lens - which is perfectly capable of TRUE 4K resolution.

As per the Website the following 4K and 2K resolutions are ALL possible :

4K: 3840×2160 16:9 30fps
4K: 3840×2160 16:9 25fps SuperView (Ultra Wide FOV with distortion correction)
2160P: 2880×2160 4:3 30fps
2.7K: 2704×2028 4:3 30fps
2.7K: 2704×1520 16:9 30fps SuperView
2.7K: 2704×1520 16:9 30fps
2.5K: 2560×1440 16:9 60/30 fps
1440P: 1920×1440 4:3 60/30 fps

Native footage from Pre-release models posted so far looks stunning on a 4K UHD screen.
I have seen at least two reviewer/bloggers who have only shown the 2880x 2160, spec. as 4 k resolution!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys. So you believe unnamed "bloggers" and back street chinese stores over the official website of the manufacturer - LOL!! The device is still Pre-Sale and clearly "specifications are provisional and may change before final release" but it won't change from being a TRUE 4K camera! Despite what all your "blogger" friends say.

I have often seen total garbage about Pre-Release products - like in this thread. There is already some pre-release stuff (including video footage) available on-line from SJCAM-US.

Last edited:
Sorry guys. So you believe unnamed "bloggers" and back street chinese stores over the official website of the manufacturer - LOL!! The device is still Pre-Sale and clearly "specifications are provisional and may change before final release" but it won't change from being a TRUE 4K camera! Despite what all your "blogger" friends say.

I have often seen total garbage about Pre-Release products - like in this thread. There is already some pre-release stuff (including video footage) from SJCAM-US.
One of the reviewer/bloggers was a guest at the Photokina Exibition ( the world's leading exposition for new photo/video equipment in EU)! Look it up!

Great - so I saw a camera on a crowded booth at a show and now I am more of an expert on it than the company itself!

Here is their main company store. Information - http://sjcamhd.com/sj7-star/ Specifications - http://sjcamhd.com/product/sj7-star/

Here is basically similar information from their US linked sales operation
http://www.sjcam.us/#!/SJCAM-SJ7-St...n-Gyro-PRE-ORDER/p/74085139/category=14060948

And a real video from them on the main features and controls -

To me that's plenty of information about a product which is still in final Pre-Release?

Great - so I saw a camera on a crowded booth at a show and now I am more of an expert on it than the company itself!

Here is their main company store. Information - http://sjcamhd.com/sj7-star/ Specifications - http://sjcamhd.com/product/sj7-star/

http://www.sjcam.us/#!/SJCAM-SJ7-St...n-Gyro-PRE-ORDER/p/74085139/category=14060948

To me that's plenty of information about a product which is still in final Pre-Release?
Gearbest's ad doesn't give complete specs

Yup! That looks pretty complete! My sources were lacking.

OK TB. Glad I could point you in the right direction for the current information. With Pre-Release products, from all companies, Apple, Samsung, Go-Pro down to the smallest, there are always rumors flying around. Getting close to release the company itself should be the first source of information - but I agree you can't believe everything until the product is in the hands of a range of independent people! And even then you have to very carefully evaluate reviews - there are a lot of incompetent "bloggers" out there!

So far it seems that this will be a great camera. I have a pre-order in place for US$144.67 including shipment and insurance to South Africa. I don't expect it to be shipped until towards the end of the year. Delivery dates are, of course, something else that is often pretty optimistic.

BTW I currently have a SJ5000x Elite and 2K @ 30fps is actually fine for nearly all real-world applications. I am looking forward to the SJ7 Star for other reasons than just 4K. 1080p@120fps and 720p@200fps for good Slo-Mo. SuperView distortion reduced super wide angle (also available on the 5000x in the next FW release). Metal body which should stand up better to hot windscreens! Higher capacity battery giving reported hi res recording closer to two hours. Quick action metal battery hatch (the current design is c***)! Touch screen. External Mic and Speaker. Remote Control options. At a bit over 25% of the cost of a similarly equipped Go-Pro Hero 5 Black - No Contest! The only problem is that, to get the most out of the capability, I may need to invest close to the price of the Camera to get a 128GB card with fast enough write speed to cope! I will use my current 60MB Sandisk Extreme to test.

Last edited:
Metal body which should stand up better to hot windscreens! .
I've always found that metal things get rather hot when they sit in the sun, especially silver coloured metal buildings in the summer, unless they are well insulated on the inside. The camera can't be insulated, it needs to get rid of internally generated heat, especially an Amberella based camera!

Nigel - I agree that it might get just as hot - although I do try and direct aircon vents (at maximum cool) on the camera and am looking at producing some sort of shade before we get into summer here. However what I was referring to was the possibility of case distortion. The plastic case on my SJ5000x has certainly swollen and the battery is now more difficult to insert and withdraw. I do remove the battery when driving and power the unit via a car charger to cut down on over heating. Would be interested in any other comments on this.

I've always found that metal things get rather hot when they sit in the sun, especially silver coloured metal buildings in the summer, unless they are well insulated on the inside. The camera can't be insulated, it needs to get rid of internally generated heat, especially an Amberella based camera!
A few other cheaper boxy style action cams have been sold with aluminum housings. Is this an engineering answer to generated heat in the processor?

Nigel - I agree that it might get just as hot - although I do try and direct aircon vents (at maximum cool) on the camera and am looking at producing some sort of shade before we get into summer here. However what I was referring to was the possibility of case distortion. The plastic case on my SJ5000x has certainly swollen and the battery is now more difficult to insert and withdraw. I do remove the battery when driving and power the unit via a car charger to cut down on over heating. Would be interested in any other comments on this.
Judging by DCT users comments, overheating effects on plastic cases are not a problem with quality dash action cams. By the way, isn't thermoplastic a tech. advancement to combat the effects of overheating in plastic devices?

Even the most recent Gopro is having teething pains as with many new devices, judging by buyer comments on Amazon. My dad advised never to buy the newest model auto until the manufacturer has time to " iron out the wrinkles". The Yi I cam and the Git 2 will do for a time!

Judging by DCT users comments, overheating effects on plastic cases are not a problem with quality dash action cams. By the way, isn't thermoplastic a tech. advancement to combat the effects of overheating in plastic devices?
Thermoplastic is plastic which is mouldable if you heat it up - it looses it's strength at say 90 degrees C. Obviously for use in a hot car you need to use a higher temperature variant than that!

A few other cheaper boxy style action cams have been sold with aluminum housings. Is this an engineering answer to generated heat in the processor?
I think it is just done for style, in fact if you have an overheating problem then using a metal case will be a bad idea as people will get their fingers burned and they will all be sent back - 40 degree C metal will feel like it is burning your fingers, 40 degree C plastic will just feel a little warm. Also, if you want the case to radiate heat away from the camera then you want it to be coloured black, not silver.

Most black plastic Amberella based dashcams feel fairly hot, a metal one would feel very hot, the SJ7 is Amberella based and metal!

Thermoplastic is plastic which is mouldable if you heat it up - it looses it's strength at say 90 degrees C. Obviously for use in a hot car you need to use a higher temperature variant than that!

Maybe what he meant was those type of plastics that conducts heat. :)

I think it is just done for style, in fact if you have an overheating problem then using a metal case will be a bad idea as people will get their fingers burned and they will all be sent back - 40 degree C metal will feel like it is burning your fingers, 40 degree C plastic will just feel a little warm. Also, if you want the case to radiate heat away from the camera then you want it to be coloured black, not silver.

Most black plastic Amberella based dashcams feel fairly hot, a metal one would feel very hot, the SJ7 is Amberella based and metal!

If the casing was indeed just for style then chances are the case might not have any form of direct contact with the electronics of some sort to draw the heat away from it.

I'm a bit concerned how the SJ7 would handle heat with its metal case during summer when used as a dashcam or how we would handle the cam if we need to operate it after being baked in the sun.

I like that on paper the upcoming SJ7 Star is an equal performer to the Hero 4 blk. but with EIS and a touch screen!
The price is coming down ,but even if it reaches the Star's price at $200 dollars the SJCam will still satisfy!

Back