Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

The main issue seems to be that your camera is made out of jelly...
Lol, it's the youtube's "stabilisation".
The video was filmed with iphone with one hand and was very jerky.
I used youtube stabilisation and didn't watch the result.
OMG, it's a gelly cam.

Well, my 0801 apparently has the same problems as all the others.
It shut down mid-drive last week so I formatted it before I left work and it ran fine until yesterday.
I heard it shut down and thought, there's no way it filled a 32GB card yet. Sure enough, the external card is only 14.2GB full. I tried to turn it back on during my drive and it looked like it was back on but hadn't saved any files.
The camera is behind my mirror and above my Valentine 1 so I can't see the screens error messages when it does shut down.

I'm on Firmware version 20130922 which is what it came with. I guess I'll try updating it to 20130924 that is in the FAQ.

~Mike

I do think if one wants the mini 0801 to be reliable is to the use the last firmware which supports the .TS file format. :-( especially for those users who are continually getting issues, as I don't think a fully reliable firmware for .mov files has been released as yet, especially with some camera's. Only other option is to return it and find a camera that is reliable. Unfortunately there are very few that can be hidden so well.

Mike:
I assume your camera is the GPS +8GB, which is the model I've been using a while with 0922 without issues so far.

Last edited:
I do think if one wants the mini 0801 to be reliable is to the use the last firmware which supports the .TS file format. :-( especially for those users who are continually getting issues, as I don't think a fully reliable firmware for .mov files has been released as yet, especially with some camera's. Only other option is to return it and find a camera that is reliable. Unfortunately there are very few that can be hidden so well.

Mike:
I assume your camera is the GPS +8GB, which is the model I've been using a while with 0922 without issues so far.

Yes, E-Prance from Amazon.com with 8GB and with GPS.

edit: Took me a few tries but I got it updated to 20130924. Hope this one is stable.

Last edited:
Well, my 0801 apparently has the same problems as all the others.
It shut down mid-drive last week so I formatted it before I left work and it ran fine until yesterday.
I heard it shut down and thought, there's no way it filled a 32GB card yet.
Mike, what class is your microSD card? If it is class 10, then you will have to try the slower class 4 or 6 card.

i emailed GIVOE and Lia's responce about these errors were they know about 32gb cards giving problems and dont recommend to use them,

i emailed GIVOE and Lia's responce about these errors were they know about 32gb cards giving problems and dont recommend to use them,

That's interesting as I've noticed over the last few months, with many posts by various users it's nearly aways 32GB cards that give the most problems regardless of class type, most of us tend to use class 6 purely to be on the safe side, but I've seen less issue when using 16gb cards, maybe because most us opt for the larger 32gb.

Is she suggesting we avoid 32gb cards now, or is that just the class 10 variety ? or is it still guess work and conjecture..IOW.. pray and hope..lol

I'm using kingston 32Gb class 4 no problem! But with the included samsung 32Gb class 10 I have the same problem everyone has.

I don't know what class my card is. I repurposed it from my old smartphone (Came with Droid Bionic).
I will see how it goes with the 20130924 firmware and if I am still having problems, I'll get a 16GB card.

~Mike

'm using kingston 32Gb class 4 no problem! But with the included samsung 32Gb class 10 I have the same problem everyone has.
I wonder if partitioning the card would help...

I wonder if partitioning the card would help...

It an interesting but strange idea.

What program will allow us to partition a microSD card?

If we are able to partition a 32GB card into two 16GB partitions, will Mini 0801 able to recognise and utilise both partitions or will it only use one 16GB partition? Essentially turning a 32GB card into a 16GB card :/

What program will allow us to partition a microSD card?
I have used EaseUs Partition Master to partition a USB thumb drive in the past. I think the microSD card can be accessed the same way, so I think partitioning would be possible with it as well.
...I think its issues are deeper than this
And so do I, but if my 0801 starts misbehaving, I will give it a try.

EDIT: I think I have used the Linux program GPartEd to partition a flash drive also.

Last edited:
RegistratorViewer is the most popular, and probably the best, Media Player Classic works well too as a quick compact viewer, but Registrator is just easier and far better, it's written specifically for Dashcams and handles GPS logs too.

Is there a Mac equivalent of RegistratorViewer? I've had a quick play with it under a Windows 7 VM but was hoping there would be a native Mac app.

Is there a Mac equivalent of RegistratorViewer? I've had a quick play with it under a Windows 7 VM but was hoping there would be a native Mac app.

I honestly don't know, If your google searches didn't find one it's likely not available for the Mac.

Apparently, JADO D169 is also a version of the 0801 that comes out of the original factory, like the Russian Procam CX-4. But I can't find any sample footage to confirm this. Anybody know more about it? Here it is for sale on eBay.

Would having a Jado branded 0801 mean any differences in FW or still likely to have recycle issues like the ones from other factories since its records in MOV as well?

Hi, JazJon did you test the procam cx4 20130911 firmware? I can't remember if you did and what were the result.
Hi new on site but was wondering if someone can help please??

When i am playing my recordings back on my computer the video does not seam to move but just gets stuck, though the gps is working fine!!!! please someone tell me whats wrong? i have the samsung class 10 32Gb card inside is the clas 10 to fast or something???
Thanks Stewart

Back