Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Hi JazJon - I was close to giving up having done reading in here and going back to looking at expensive cams. SOOOOOO glad I didnt. black bullet hits the spot i guess!!!! its a slick device and im totally happy with them - my mistake i ordered two with gps and needed one with it plus one without - didnt think - no biggie - the back of my car is in a different place than the front!!!!!!
I hope the recorded speed is the same both ends ;)

Does anybody have some downloadable footage from the Mini 0801 (recent firmware preferred)? I can never play it back on YouTube (slow internet connection).

I just sent this message.

Dear e-prance,

Hi Demi,

After using the new Mini 0801 you just shipped me with provided Samsung 32GB Class 6 card for awhile, it has failed again. Just like the other 2 cameras, once the memory card is full, it won't recycle over old files and the loop recording fails. This is reported by others in the forum as well. They also bought from E-PRANCE and it also came with firmware 20131026.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/firmware-20131026-e-prance-not-stable.3260/

Can you try and ask the factory for a November firmware? Someone has reported seeing 20131114 out there.

I really hope the factory can create a stable firmware for this new 0801.
~Jon

Response: (looks like I got handed off to Angel? And not that's not true, the camera arrived with a single short 15 second mov test clip. There was no over night recordings)

"what is the problem, we test for you all night and my manger was test it for you. it is ok.

And the Dvr you send back , you said the loop recording is useless, while when we test it, it is on good condition.

i don't know what happend. you are so specialized about the mini 0801, so i think you have already turn off the motion detection and turn on the loop recording.

if you need a new firmware, i can ask the factury for new one, while this can't resolve the loop recording problem, i think.

Angel~"

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with you JazJon. There is a problem... I am loosing confidence in E-Prance if they are not able to reproduce the problem.
As I mentioned on the Firmware 20131026 thread, my dashcam stoped recording with the same errors as the ones seen by other users.
However, I didn't have to wait for the recycling to start on my dashcam. It failed on the first round of recording after around 20GB of the 32GB.

I don't recall but did you try sending them a video of the camera failing? I may do that on my side to add to your case.

Response: (looks like I got handed off to Angel? And not that's not true, the camera arrived with a single short 15 second mov test clip. There was no over night recordings)

"what is the problem, we test for you all night and my manger was test it for you. it is ok.

And the Dvr you send back , you said the loop recording is useless, while when we test it, it is on good condition.

i don't know what happend. you are so specialized about the mini 0801, so i think you have already turn off the motion detection and turn on the loop recording.

if you need a new firmware, i can ask the factury for new one, while this can't resolve the loop recording problem, i think.

Angel~"

right about now I think I'd be asking them for a decent bitrate TS version firmware, yes it would be nice to just use Registrator Viewer but camera stability is far more important

Does anybody have some downloadable footage from the Mini 0801 (recent firmware preferred)? I can never play it back on YouTube (slow internet connection).
Gonna upload a view videos for you now..

Can someone help me with the meaning of those two files I got on my SD Card? (Just translate them - Google fails badly)
File 1: 㩤湜摶た戮湩
File 2: 㩤湜摶ㅟ戮湩

Angel~"
Sounds like the honeymoon with Demi is over :( lol

I am with you JazJon. There is a problem... I am loosing confidence in E-Prance if they are not able to reproduce the problem.
As I mentioned on the Firmware 20131026 thread, my dashcam stoped recording with the same errors as the ones seen by other users.
However, I didn't have to wait for the recycling to start on my dashcam. It failed on the first round of recording after around 20GB of the 32GB.

I can concur with your observation. Same firmware version 20131026. Though I was testing with my Samsung 32GB class 10 card since last week, yesterday it auto shutdown twice. When I checked the card, it only had 16GB video, so it is obviously not in loop recording mode yet. Today I resorted back to my Samsung 8GB class 4 card, will have to let it run for 2 weeks before I can add more input in this forum.

A lot of you are very familiar with the problems. Would someone please help me write up a nice response for me to send back to her? (in Chinglish, aka easily translated, simple sentences)
Actually if you know Chinese that would be even better.

I'd like to delegate some of the work here. :)

I'll wait to see if anyone volunteers before I burn more brain cells on this.

"Hi Jon,

i see your email today, i am not working yesterday. my colleague Angel replied you.

you meet with the same problem of the last DVR, right? and the loop recording is useless?

we test for you before send out, i contatct with the factury.

they also don't know how to solve the problem. maybe they can't get the detailed information.

can you give me more details,maybe we can solve this matter together.

Demi~"

I suspect the final so

Those clips are not from your own mini 0801 camera are they Tobi@s ? only reason I ask is because with respect I didn't think the daylight clip was that good, the 0801 is capable of much better image quality imo, my 3 certainly are, I thought the clips lacked detail, contrast, and exposure looks a little too much.
Can only assume there are different quality 0801's out there. I assume it's probably not yours, record bitrate is quite low too at under 11000kbps, so not sure which firmware that would have been, I'm also assuming its from a 0801 of course....lol. This is just an observation, no criticism intended whatsoever. :)

Unfortunately this is my 0801... (I set EV to +1) Maybe that's the problem?
I'm using 20131026 FW.. Oh and I also read something in the system log (1026 fw) that bitrates are min: 9000kbps and max 12500 (or 13500)kbps
Gonna try it with EV 0 now...

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is my 0801... (I set EV to +1) Maybe that's the problem?
I'm using 20131026 FW.. Oh and I also read something in the system log (1026 fw) that bitrates are min: 9000kbps and max 12500 (or 13500)kbps
Gonna try it with EV 0 now...

oops....sorry matey, one of mines on 1026, and yes the bitrate is lower, in the house I only get around 10000kbps myself, most of the videos's out in the car tend to come in around the 13500kbps mark, but it's still decent quality, good colour and contrast and it's pretty sharp across the picture. That daylight video also has a little blocking I notice, have you seen some of the 0801 video's that jazjon did on his 0801, I would rate them a lot better than the daylight one you posted, is it possible you had a finger mark on the lens. I'll see if I can put a couple of my own onto Dropbox or Google drive later. Was your camera from E-Prance. ?

AYS it could be over exposed, I definitely thought it looked a little washed out, like way too much brightness, but lacking contrast, so maybe try it a bit lower, see what that's like. I tend to set mine at default or maybe + .03 I've not tried it any higher, perhaps the +1 helps the night shooting but a bit too high in the daytime perhaps. Or it could be differences in hardware...no idea.

Last edited:
Yes, it's an E-PRANCE ebay one..

Just checked my lens and it really has some kind of fingermark on it.. But I can't clean it - the "dirty" part doesn't go away.. oO

Yes, it's an E-PRANCE ebay one..

Just checked my lens and it really has some kind of fingermark on it.. But I can't clean it - the "dirty" part doesn't go away.. oO

hehe..lol the thing is it does happen, I recall early in the year, while my wife and I was having a few days in Paris, we used her small Cannon Ixus camera, instead of carting around my larger cam, and most of the shots got ruined because she or even possibly myself had obviously touched the lens, and I failed to check it...doh. It's one with the viewfinder, so the screen is usually left off to save battery.

Anyone by chance have the 0922 firmware available for download (8Gb w/GPS)? Reason is I'd like to try the newest Oct firmware but with the option to rollback. My 0922 is quite stable (I've only ever had two solid blue light mid recording last week) but nothing this week. But the timezone bug is getting annoying.

Anyone by chance have the 0922 firmware available for download (8Gb w/GPS)? Reason is I'd like to try the newest Oct firmware but with the option to rollback. My 0922 is quite stable (I've only ever had two solid blue light mid recording last week) but nothing this week. But the timezone bug is getting annoying.

I'm running 0922 on my cam with GPS + 8GB too, but sadly don't have it to flash, though I may be able to get it. I've had no trouble with it at all so far., and cannot say I've not found anything wrong with the time, have you set your timezone in the first field in the set time settings ? such as +1 or +2 or -1 -2 -3 etc..

What's the newest firmware for this model camera you are referring.. do you have it?

Back