Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Good to know about MX Player for android. I convinced my roommate to install a DashCam in his Mustang. He uses the Note II (huge android phone) and might want to play back files on his phone right away while away from home rather then on the PC later etc. Can you upload the mov to YouTube from android? I'm an iPhone guy.

Today I opened my unit and:
  1. Placed SanDisk 32GB Class 10 card in internal slot (unit had slot, but no card)
  2. Placed SanDisk 16GB Class 10 card in external slot
  3. Flashed with 20131202 firmware
  4. Formatted both internal & external cards
The unit is currently sitting on my desk recording video & audio of the sunset out my window to external card.

After sunset pointed cam at a (turned on) TV, the cam was recording non-stop for over 16 hours.
It recorded till the 16GB card was full then kept recording erasing the oldest.
Ended up with 6:20:33 of recorded video & audio - no errors!
Next, same test using the internal 32GB card.

I just measured the voltage that comes out of the GPS bracket to the dashcam: 5.65V
Is that too much?

That's a hell of a TiVo :)

Like others I was having problems using a 32GB Class 10 card in the external slot. Replaced it with a 16GB Class 10 card but the problems continued.

Inspired by others who had success moving cards to the internal slot and the release of 20131202 firmware I thought why not.

If everything works it will be a hell of a TiVo.

I just measured the voltage that comes out of the GPS bracket to the dashcam: 5.65V
Is that too much?

Per the USB specs -> Max. voltage, 5.00±0.25 V (pre-3.0); 5.00+0.25-0.55 V (USB 3.0)

After sunset pointed cam at a (turned on) TV, the cam was recording non-stop for over 16 hours.
Next, same test using the internal 32GB card.

While recording try locking a file when the card is already full and see if there are any slow card errors in the next 1-2 minutes.
Thats's how my camera stops recording with an error with a (genuine) Samsung 16GB class6 card I have, even with the 20131202 firmware.
A Kingston 16GB class4 card is OK - in my camera.

Last edited:
While recording try locking a file when the card is already full and see if there are any slow card errors in the next 1-2 minutes.
Thats's how my camera stops recording with an error with a (genuine) Samsung 16GB class6 card I have, even with the 20131202 firmware.
A Kingston 16GB class4 card is OK.

There doesn't seem to be any definite brand/type of card one can say definitely works, one can only try different card's and go with whatever works for you.

There doesn't seem to be any definite brand/type of card one can say definitely works, one can only try different card's and go with whatever works for you.

Exactly... and that's the sad part of this story :confused:

I'm curious, how does one identify "locked" files while browsing the memory card?

Locked files will have the 'R' read only attribute set., if you don't know what file attributes are/do, a quick google search on 'File Attributes' will reveal all. This method of file protection and what you can do with the file is the same across all drives, SSD, Hard-drives, Pen-drives, ie. everything. For example if you set a files' attribute to be 'H' would mean it's hidden and would not show in a normal directory listing, a system file would thus have the attribute 'S' set and so on. Earlier Windows versions used to come with a tiny utility called Attribute.exe which you could easily change a files attributes. For example if you wanted to hide a certain directory from showing up when browsing the drive, you just change it's attribute to 'H' and it's then hidden.

These days it's often referred to as a files properties, and can easily be changed by simply right clicking and selecting properties while highlighting a certain file, you can then change the files properties or attributes as they were generally called.

If you use something like the popular Registrator.exe to replay the files it highlights any locked file with a small icon of a key, it also give you options to open or lock files easily. Registrator will also of course read any GPS log files and show the route progress on a Google map.

Last edited:
Exactly... and that's the sad part of this story :confused:

I couldn't agree with you more, my MIO 368 camera will accept any card I care to insert into it, and it just works every time, and has never had a single issue since buying it, but it cost well over double the money. I have one 0801 cam that's quite fussy with cards, some cards it will work with and others it throws a wobbly. Compared to some on here I've been fortunate in that 2 out of my 3 mini 0801 cams have actually given little trouble, the second two are nowhere near as fussy with cards either. So very much pot luck when buying these camera's I think. Touch wood even my troublesome cam has been working okay without any problems for over 2 weeks now, the other 2 have been okay for over 3 months they are on 1202 firmware now, but worked okay on 0913 also for ages.

Unit Specs
  • Bought unit from here - unit had GPS, no internal or external card.
  • Opened unit (voided warranty o_O )
  • Placed SanDisk 32GB Class 10 card in internal slot (unit had slot from factory)
  • Placed SanDisk 16GB Class 10 card in external slot
  • Flashed with 20131202 firmware
  • Formatted both internal & external cards using 20131202 firmware
TEST #1

Pointed cam at a (turned on) TV, the cam was recording non-stop for over 16 hours.

TEST #2

Removed the external card and let cam run non-stop for over 14 hours.
That should have been enough that the 32GB (internal) card was full and the unit would have to erase the oldest.
Plugged it into Windows 7 PC - ended up with 3:07:14 of recorded video & audio - no errors!
But wait!
I was able to record 6 hours on the 16GB (external) card, shouldn't a 32GB card have recorded more than 3 hours?
Discovered that windows shows the capacity as being only 14.8GB. (Before inserting the card in the camera it was formatted by Windows and showed the full 32GB capacity)
Doesn't explain 1/2 the recording time (3 vs 6 hours) for 92% (14.8 vs 16GB) of capacity.
Interesting that the only internal option (from where I bought mine) is 8GB.
Could this be a firmware issue?
For now I'm going to set this capacity quirk aside.

TEST #3 (Pending)

Return unit to car w/GPS mount and factory power adapter.

Last edited:
Interesting that the only internal option (from where I bought mine) is 8GB.
Could this be a firmware issue?

if it is marked to use "8G internal" in firmware, the device will only work with a 8G TF at internal slot, even you plug a 32G card into the "internal storage". smaller capacity card, mistake appears; bigger card, useless.

if it is marked to use "8G internal" in firmware, the device will only work with a 8G TF at internal slot, even you plug a 32G card into the "internal storage". smaller capacity card, mistake appears; bigger card, useless.

Thanks for the clarification. I/We assumed you could use a 32gb internal as well. I've yet to crack it open and doubt I will now that you posted the details.

I have 6 of these here with 32gb cards internal and all 32gb is accessible, not using this same firmware though

sounds suspiciously like someone has decided an artificial limit should be placed on the internal memory slot, marketing reasons perhaps

Is that too much?

As 300D-91 says, yes. However, you're measuring the no-load voltage, which may drop when you start drawing current. As I said a few posts ago, I don't trust cheapo "free" voltage converters — I run my mini 0801 off one of these now, which I measured at 5.00V, and I don't have the added uncertainty of the horrible "cigar lighter" plug.

If someone wants it, here is the 20130922 firmware for cams with GPS and 8GB internal memory:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3659886/20130922-NO1-SPIF-2710-2CARD-GPS.elf
(it's an elf)

e-prance just sent it to me (I asked it a while ago before 20131202 firmware).

I don't think it has been posted here, I only found the 20130922 version for GPS but WITHOUT internal memory.
does this firmware work on a givoe set?
and how do you flash an elf file? same as the bin?

Back