Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Both versions are now available if you check the 0801 FAQ page.

I'm on my iPhone right now so I can't list it directly very easily

I see the GPS icon on both of my units so yes it has to be GPS on both units. Open close as well.

Dascamman needs to update the description better on the FAQ page for sure to avoid confusion by leaving off the word GPS. (As in the word GPS needs to be included)

Wait a minute I stand corrected one of my two units does not show the GPS icon even though the GPS settings in the menu. let me figure out which one is which again and sort them out.

Just bought the JADO D169 on eBay. Can't wait for it to arrive, I'll post test clips.

It seems one of my two GPS bases has stopped functioning. I see the GPS icon on BOTH of my 0801's but only using 1 of my 2 GPS bases. That would explain the --:-- ------ lines on my recent video from a few weeks ago. I'm going to replace the bad GPS base in my car with my spare GPS base I have been testing with in my room.

Both 20131202 firmwares are here:
http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/#Latest_Firmware

Both the internal 8gb and no-internal versions support GPS

Take it apart and play with it. Post what you find. I'm curious!

Just bought the JADO D169 on eBay. Can't wait for it to arrive, I'll post test clips.
Curious to see what happens if/when someone tries to flash a JADO with one of the many firmwares floating around. Now that I would like to see a clip of...

Last edited:
Will do, I'll investigate for sure :) I wont' have time for a few days though unfortunately. (so stand by)

That one for the 2 cards + GPS 1202 does it definitely have a setting to choose which card on your camera ?

The reason I ask is that both those 1202 files have exactly the same file size, I've not done a checksum on them yet, but exactly same file size seems strange...hmmm.. same file ?

That one for the 2 cards + GPS 1202 does it definitely have a setting to choose which card on your camera ?

The reason I ask is that both those 1202 files have exactly the same file size, I've not done a checksum on them yet, but exactly same file size seems strange...hmmm.. same file ?

I just triple checked, both of my 0801's are on 1202
1 has inner/outer in the menu
1 does not

Will do, I'll investigate for sure :) I wont' have time for a few days though unfortunately. (so stand by)

Yes, I'm interested to see the internals of the base and how easy it is to disassemble. I'd like to remove the USB socket from mine and convert it to a flying lead with a more reliable power socket at the end, removing yet another iffy connection from the wiring.

I'm powering my unit from a separate 5V regulator now to try to eliminate power supply issues from the cheapo supplied regulator and the horrible-for-permanent-continuity car power plug. That regulator measures 5.00V versus the supplied unit which gave me 5.68V unloaded.

My camera is behaving perfectly at the moment with 1026 firmware, 1080p+audio set to 3 minute segments, looping on a 16GB PNY class 4 card.

I'm powering my unit from a separate 5V regulator now to try to eliminate power supply issues from the cheapo supplied regulator and the horrible-for-permanent-continuity car power plug. That regulator measures 5.00V versus the supplied unit which gave me 5.68V unloaded.

My camera is behaving perfectly at the moment with 1026 firmware, 1080p+audio set to 3 minute segments, looping on a 16GB PNY class 4 card.

This is a valid point and a good reminder, many people have mentioned the recordings working great in the house but falling over when used in the car, not all factories use decent quality power adapters as it's one of those things they can save a dollar on

I used a 3rd party amazon mini USB power supply once I moved the Mini 0801 to the back of my car. It fell over all the same on the previous bad firmwares.

The all new 20131202 seems to be rock solid! I can't get it to trip in home or driving around. (card is for sure full) Both cameras are performing nicely, except for my broken GPS mount.

I took my smart car in for an Oil Change. I got the whole thing on camera LOL. When he lifts up my window hatch to reach the engine in the back I can see the whole thing reflected off the glass, not to mention the before, after, and complimentary car wash. (not sure if it's appropriate to share that) Video seems to be VBR 9-13 Mbps but looks crystal clear. I've yet to swap the bad GPS base in my car. (time to get out the floss, and goofoff + Razor blade soon) I'll confirm all is well via working GPS mount. (and rip apart the old one afterwards) I'm flying to Chicago for a few days for my Mom's birthday party.

Moved this from another thread, not sure where to post sorry !

I've had my 0801 with no gps or internal memory for about 4/5 weeks now with no problems, (touch wood). Can anyone tell me if there are any viewing apps available on android so that I can playback clips on my Samsung note gt n7000. I have a compatible mini usb to female cable so that I can connect my external card reader.
Cheers. Col.

Newbie here ;)

I'm thinking about buying one of these units. In earlier posts people recommended not buying one; has the new firmware sorted the issue(s) ?

Also, is it a 'seamless' recording or do you lose a couple of seconds between files?

TIA

Seamless recording, might be best just to hold off for a week and see how the latest firmware pans out

Newbie here too. Sound like it's nearly there. I'm also keen to find out if this product matures to a point that current users might consider it merits making it onto the "The Best “Bang for your Buck” Dash Cams" list - a definite NO, or a possible maybe at this point?? Or is the manufacturer just firefighting? I get the feeling it's another value product that doesn't quite have enough spec (hardware=ROM/RAM/ I/O/CPU) to quite make it and there'll be another technology design along in a minute lol (hope I'm wrong).

I enquired about the difference between 2 E-Prance 0801 products sold via Amazon UK and both selling for the same price at £73.99. Also, if future upgrades would be available..

And email received from E-Prance today:
ASIN: B00F5WPB2K,it's With GPS Logger,With 8G internal memory,No 32G Memory model,firmware version 20131202

ASIN: B00F2GMUPU,it's With GPS Logger,Without 8G internal memory,No 32G Memory model,firmware version 20131026

future upgrades is possible,but the risk exist:)

I assume it would be 'safer' to purchase the internal memory option due to having newer firmware, or are current issues related only to the internal memory option?

firmware upgrades on these and indeed the greater majority of Chinese cameras is generally restricted to epidemic failure issues only, extra features is very rare

Also from what I saw, 99% of people having looping problems on the camera can solve the problem by turning off audio. Mine has been working properly ever since I disabled audio recording

Back