Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

I'd let your seller know the problem, this would be easily addressable in the firmware

Good idea, let's attack this from all angles.

My Message to Aliexpress/Givoe:

I just got the cam today. (no dead pixels, good videos)

The h.264 .MOV file properties shows that it has 2 channel audio.

When I play back the .MOV on my computer I only hear sound from the LEFT speaker. (nothing from the RIGHT)

I realize it has a mono microphone, but it should still mix the mono audio to a combined Left and Right track.

Can this be addressed in the firmware?

I'm pretty sure I read in the ProCam Russian Forums that they have both Left and Right audio on certain firmware versions. (similar camera to 0801)

I'm hoping both Left Right mixed audio can be achieved via firmware update for the Mini 0801.
I currently have on firmware 20130903

Thanks!
~Jon

Thanks Jaz Jon,

Let's hope the firmware will address this issue.
I just got the cam this week and the audio is indeed only on the left.
I am on firmware 20130905.

Thanks Jaz Jon,

Let's hope the firmware will address this issue.
I just got the cam this week and the audio is indeed only on the left.
I am on firmware 20130905.

I sent a copy of my Lia message to Demi at ebay-eprance as well. I'm pretty sure it can be done! (hopefully)

The next work around would be if RegistratorViewer adds the option to force LEFT channel audio into a new mixed Left/Right 2 channel stereo in the resulting .MP4 export. I made it clear that the audio file already reports as stereo, so it would need to be a forced remix.

Worse case, I can live with it, since I'll usually add my own music on top of any video I create anyway.

One of us will capture something that needs to be shared as the raw .MOV file right away. In this case it's best to know the audio is mixed to both LEFT/RIGHT.

I noticed you can sort columns on this new forum update.

As of this post we are 284 views away from being the most popular General Dash Cam Discussion thread! :)

EDIT: #1 now! *Balloons Drop* *Marching Band Music Plays*

Last edited:
I hope he can make this happen...........

EMAIL:
Hi Vadim,

Sorry to bug you but I have another request I think you might be up for the challenge on.

The .MOV files recorded by the mini 0801 have 100% Left Only audio output.

The file properties show it's 2 channel stereo. I realize the mic is mono, but it would be nice if the audio was combined into 2 channels.

Can you add a feature that will mix audio of left channel into a 2 channel track of the resulting .mp4? That would be another great feature for mono dashcam users!

Thanks again for a great application, I donated what I could.
~Jon

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gg6ro85jw0oy48f/AMBA0024.MOV

Vadim:
"No, my program cannot do video or audio recompression, only repacking (crop/join).
This is your dashcam make 0 level volume for right channel and make encoding.
It cannot be fixed by changing some bytes in file's header"

Firmware is our only hope.

JazJon,

Can you recap where you stand on both cams as far as issue's still outstanding. As a bystander waiting to buy, I'm starting to get a little confused.

Cheers...

Ok here's a quick summary. My latest posts are more nit picky than serious issues.

TechMoan's review is good, except that it now records in .MOV (not .TS) and at higher bitrate (better video)

It's pot luck if you get stuck pixels, but you only see them in low light and still shots. My first 0801 had them, my new Givoe one is clean.

The Audio is Left side only, but buying a DashCam for good audio is unheard of at this point. The TechMoan review even says that this isn't the cam to buy if you want impressive audio. If you want to showcase a video you'll probably want to add your own music track anyway.

I still give the Cam two thumbs up as the best bang for the buck "stealthy" tiny sized DashCam.

Video quality is above average. I'm very pleased.

Reliability is good so far! (except using 0905 on OLD stock cameras) If your new camera comes with 0905 I have yet to hear of anyone complaining. Mine came with 0903

You'll want to use Vadim's RegistratorViewer app (and not the software that comes on DVD) for GPS map route playback, and merging/cropping. You'll also be able to pick MPH this way as well.

The audio on my set is the same, 2 channels stereo.
But only left speaker has audio.

My cam has audio for both left and right. The left is predominant and drowns out the right channel but if I disable the left channel the right does have audio.

Last edited:
I'd let your seller know the problem, this would be easily addressable in the firmware

Here's a response from Demi eBay eprance (about the Left only audio)

"Hi Jon,
Sorry to reply you so late for the mid-autumn festival.
I tested a MOV. video just now, the same problems as you said.
This problem need to ask the factury, while they are off duty today.
I will email you when they have the answer.
Enjoying your weekend.
Yours,
Demi"

My camera just left china. 12 days to leave the country... That was slow.
Hope it's going to be fast and smooth from now...

I ordered mine on the 5th and received the 19th so it took 2 weeks. I paid extra for the DHL shipping though.

Thanks for the info! What real advantage is it to get the model with internal memory versus the one without? Got links for both on where you bought them?

Not a whole lot really here's what I can think of......
-use the internal 8GB alone if you don't want to spend money on an additional 32GB microSD card
-copy important files from one card to the other card (to be double sure you don't lose it, or maybe in case a cop takes away the microSD card?)
-continue recording on the internal card if you left the external card in your computer (forgot to bring it back for example)

I bought my latest model from Givoe through AliExpress (which is a portal for resellers)
(see various models with/without GPS, with/without internal 8GB)

Someone on TechMoan blog asked about Suction Cup Mount options for using it with Rental Cars.
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8...ith-an-lcd-screen.html?currentPage=3#comments

Here's what we thought up so far:
http://dx.com/p/mini-double-sided-suction-cup-silicone-pad-for-mobile-phone-black-114639
http://dx.com/p/dual-head-silicone-suction-cup-stand-for-iphone-ipad-more-black-222111
http://dx.com/s/double suction cup
Also search eBay for Double Suction Cup (and sort by lowest price first)

Like russ331 said you can also use 3M Dual Lock (which is like Velcro 2.0) but than you'll still have to remove the window part.
(maybe a combination of the two?)

Last edited:
Suction mount should be with quick and easy mount / dismount.
I would use dod ls300w type suction mount. File down tip from mount that goes into dash camera body to have flat surface on which 0801 bracket could mounted with 3M double sided tape.
dod_vrh3_500_1_副本-500x500.jpg

Suction mount should be with quick and easy mount / dismount.
I would use dod ls300w type suction mount. File down tip from mount that goes into dash camera body to have flat surface on which 0801 bracket could mounted with 3M double sided tape.
View attachment 1440

Good Idea, I posted your suggestion.
(there has to be cheaper options?)

Won't that block the GPS signal?

I dont see any reason why plastic should block gps signal. I install car multimedia systems ( headunits ), once forgot gps antenna inside dash ( behind headunit ), but gps signal was strong. Consider that car dash panel is much thicker than ls300w suction mount part where 0801 bracket will be mounted. So I think there should not be any affect on gps signal.

Cool for people's own cars, but Dual Lock Tape, and Stuck on Magnets are both no good for rental cars. (the sticky tape remains)

Cool for people's own cars, but Dual Lock Tape, and Stuck on Magnets are both no good for rental cars. (the sticky tape remains)
Yes, for rental cars is no good. So only suction mount would be a practical solution, I guess.

Back