Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

've got a Mini 0801 recently. However, I'm using Mac. The software that comes with the cam is for Windows only. Is there any Mac .mov player with GPS tracking on map? Many thanks in advance.

Gary

Finally got it work on my iMac.

Here are the steps:

1. Download Contour Storyteller for Mac (http://contour.com/software/storyteller/)

2. Add the following headers to the Mini 0801 GPS log file (can edit using Textedit)
?,date,time,latitude,n/s,longitude,e/w,?,?,?,?;

3. Convert the edited Mini 0801 GPS log file into a valid .gpx file using GPS Visualizer (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com)

4. Open the .mov file using Contour Storyteller, and then import the .gpx file corresponding to the .mov

This works great!

Thanks.

I can't get mine to come up in Windows Explorer when connected via USB. The camera just turns on and starts recording when I connect it. When I plug it into USB when it's on, it starts recording. I did do an in-camera format. Tried it with the included cable and another one and with 2 different Windows 7 PCs (64 bit and 32 bit).

I can't get mine to come up in Windows Explorer when connected via USB. The camera just turns on and starts recording when I connect it. When I plug it into USB when it's on, it starts recording. I did do an in-camera format. Tried it with the included cable and another one and with 2 different Windows 7 PCs (64 bit and 32 bit).

there's a menu option for USB mode, what have you got that set to?

There is no USB mode option in the menu. I have the 20130903 firmware.

There is no USB mode option in the menu. I have the 20130903 firmware.

I haven't tried that version, normally there's an option where USB can be changed from Mass Storage to Camera mode which changes how it behaves when connected to a PC

I haven't tried that version, normally there's an option where USB can be changed from Mass Storage to Camera mode which changes how it behaves when connected to a PC

I just confirmed the USB/Mass Storage option is missing on firmware 20130903. Maybe they can re-add that after they re-add the Beep Control. When they said they were out of memory to add MPH, I wonder if that's related? Maybe the new .MOV option took up more memory and they had to start cutting features. (just guessing) I'll ask Givoe/eprance
(I've been using a microSD/SD adapter since my laptop has a SD card reader)

I just confirmed the USB/Mass Storage option is missing on firmware 20130903. Maybe they can re-add that after they re-add the Beep Control. When they said they were out of memory to add MPH, I wonder if that's related? Maybe the new .MOV option took up more memory and they had to start cutting features. (just guessing) I'll ask Givoe/eprance
(I've been using a microSD/SD adapter since my laptop has a SD card reader)

The USB menu is missing in the 0905 fw as well.

Hi, can anyone post the electronic specifications of this camera please? Output, input voltage, amperage etc please? Thanks in advance!

Hi, can anyone post the electronic specifications of this camera please? Output, input voltage, amperage etc please? Thanks in advance!

The only specs are the ones listed at:
http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/
(I'll ask Givoe for more detailed specs)

Here's another good reason to have internal memory. I drove off today and forgot the 32GB microSD card was still in my laptop at home. I was still able to record 2 hours of driving data with the 8GB internal card.

Some careless contractor swerved between two cars driving like a madman on the way home.
Can anyone make out the license plate number? I'm going to report it to the company on the van.
Raw Files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u97ikfyzfaw9xxi/I3UnuGJNnB

So yeah I'm connected via USB cable to the internal 8GB card. (works) There is no option in the menu, it just works as mass storage by default.

There is one bug though. I noticed there is NO GPS folder or log files when using the internal card! (WTF) I'll report this bug asap.
>>EDIT: I think it's probably because I didn't pick "outer card" so that's probably why the GPS logging didn't work. I'll try it again with no card inserted but actually change the menu to "Inner Card".

Last edited:
Reply from Givoe (about left only audio)

• GIVOE Sales:

20:37 Sep 22,2013

Dear Jon,
    Sorry late to reply you,
    just end the Mid-Autumn festival holidays,
    come back to work.
    That's great you received the parcel,
    also about your problem, I ask engineer, they said now only mono audio.
    maybe future will have, but now can't.
    If you have any questions, pls be free to contact me.
    Best wishes,
    Lia

I think my question was lost in translation as usual so here's my reply

Me:
    20:54 Sep 22,2013

Thanks I don't mind any delays, hope the festival was fun! My other China connection said the same thing, was away for the festival.

I'm using your new camera full time now.

I understand the microphone is mono. The problem is the audio track properties say its set to and recorded as stereo. (and only plays in the left speaker then) Can you have them set the audio to true mono? (so it plays in both speakers) If the recording set to true mono, then it will play out of both speaker by default.

A few other people have requested more technical specs.
    Can you find the electronic specifications of this camera please? Output, input voltage, amperage etc

We're looking forward to future firmwares.
    New 0801 owners are reporting they come with firmware with 20130903 and some are on 20130905
    Mine is currently on 20130903. Do you have 20130905? (or newer)
    Thanks again,
    ~Jon

Yes. That will do a job.

Thanks! So the camera will not go into Mass Storage automatically right? I will be able to record just like it's connected to the cigarette lighter.

this model uses common USB, if you connect via the bracket it will work as a camera as intended

Thanks! So the camera will not go into Mass Storage automatically right? I will be able to record just like it's connected to the cigarette lighter.

I don't think it will go into mass storage mode unless it detects a PC trying to access the data portion. Your adapter will only use the power leads so should be fine.

Here's the response from eprance (ebay) about the left audio channel problem.

"Hello Jon,
Thanks, yes , i had a wonderful festival with my family.
And you last question about the right speaker, i got the answer that all the DVR with Ambarella Chip are meeting with this matter, and so sorry this cannot be changed through the firmware.
I also think this is a defect of system itself, and it is not convenient to see video with headphones.
While sorry i can't help you this time:(
Appreciate your undertsanding.
Yours,
Demi"

Latest GIVOE Sales:

00:46 Sep 23,2013

"Hi Jon,
I have good holiday.^.^
and also actually the mono problem, they said stereo is no used, so the device is mono only.
and we have 0905 FW, you need?
Last time you said 0905 not stable right?
Best wishes
Lia"

It sounds like eprance had a direct meeting with Ambarella. I told GIVOE to send me the 0905 so I can compare it with the other one we got from a 3rd party. I'll do a check sum before even thinking about trying it. (I liked the higher bit rate, but not at the cost of being unstable)

Some careless contractor swerved between two cars driving like a madman on the way home.
Can anyone make out the license plate number? I'm going to report it to the company on the van.
Raw Files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u97ikfyzfaw9xxi/I3UnuGJNnB

UPDATE! (my first successful Caught On DashCam experience)

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM, <company> wrote:
Thanks so much. How did you find my email? Just curious. We are going to discuss this with our employee. Thanks again for photo and video.

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM, <jon> wrote:
Glad to help keep the roads safer.
I googled your company name, went to your web site, clicked the contact us link.
It goes right to your address I guess. (are you the owner or something?)
~jon

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM, <company> wrote:
No, not the owner but the office manager. Thanks again Jon.

Last edited:
By the way, the left brake light of the van is not working.
I forgive one light not working. When i'm stopped at traffic light i tell drivers to check the non working one.
Too bad i havn't my camera yet but i followed a car without any brake light. Scary. I had to let a lot of space ....

By the way, the left brake light of the van is not working.
I forgive one light not working. When i'm stopped at traffic light i tell drivers to check the non working one.
Too bad i havn't my camera yet but i followed a car without any brake light. Scary. I had to let a lot of space ....
Good catch! I let them know.

Edit they responded already haha

"Oh thanks. You want a job here???? I’ll hire you to follow all my vans???"

I don't think it will go into mass storage mode unless it detects a PC trying to access the data portion. Your adapter will only use the power leads so should be fine.

Here's the response from eprance (ebay) about the left audio channel problem.

"Hello Jon,
Thanks, yes , i had a wonderful festival with my family.
And you last question about the right speaker, i got the answer that all the DVR with Ambarella Chip are meeting with this matter, and so sorry this cannot be changed through the firmware.
I also think this is a defect of system itself, and it is not convenient to see video with headphones.
While sorry i can't help you this time:(
Appreciate your undertsanding.
Yours,
Demi"

Latest GIVOE Sales:

00:46 Sep 23,2013

"Hi Jon,
I have good holiday.^.^
and also actually the mono problem, they said stereo is no used, so the device is mono only.
and we have 0905 FW, you need?
Last time you said 0905 not stable right?
Best wishes
Lia"

It sounds like eprance had a direct meeting with Ambarella. I told GIVOE to send me the 0905 so I can compare it with the other one we got from a 3rd party. I'll do a check sum before even thinking about trying it. (I liked the higher bit rate, but not at the cost of being unstable)

Givoe sent me their 20130905 firmware. (now the question is, will it be the same as the other 20130905, or will it be different?) I don't have time to check sum tonight.

"GIVOE Sales: yes, that guys said right,
and here is FW link.
http://www.givoe.com/upload/file/soft/fw/Firmware-0801-244-2212-GPS-8GB-NO1-SPI-TB15_20130905.zip
wishe you have a good day.
Lia"

Anyone happen to have the Ambarella A2S60 datasheet? I can't seem to find one, I want to check to see something. I wonder if they have wired up the mic to one side of the chip. I doubt very much it's a bug in the A2S60 that it's only got one channel and only the left side.

I had a look around and couldn't find anyone else with the same chipset complaining its only got the one channel.

Back