Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

That's what it was. (forgot the right name) Renaming the bin to firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin worked!

Ok, time to start all combinations of settings/microSD cards and format cluster size until we find something stable.
Did you notice the new option "delay time power off"? It lets the camera keep recording on battery power after power is shut off for up to 10 min.

Did you notice the new option "delay time power off"? It lets the camera keep recording on battery power after power is shut off for up to 10 min.

I'm having trouble finding the right menu to change it from Russian to English. I swear I've gone through the whole list twice now. (kind'a frustrated) I'll find it! (trying again)

I'm having trouble finding the right menu to change it from Russian to English. I swear I've gone through the whole list twice now. (kind'a frustrated) I'll find it! (trying again)

I found it! It's the 4th option from the end. Look for язык (aka Language) and change Русский (aka Russian) to the BLANK spot and that's English. Now that it's English the blank spot is no longer blank. (actually says English)

Last edited:

Wow yeah that's pretty cool! "DELAY TIME POWER OFF" Options = 30 SEC, 2 MIN, 1o MIN, or OFF

10 Minute max makes sense based on the small battery

That's weird. Mine actually had the English option on the list.

Seems to be recording at about 17.4 bit rate in my living room. I'm going to test on my 16gb C10 card first. I'll let it record until full and then try cycling it on/off.

That's weird. Mine actually had the English option on the list.

Seems to be recording at about 17.4 bit rate in my living room. I'm going to test on my 16gb C10 card first. I'll let it record until full and then try cycling it on/off.

My new 0801 (with internal 8gb) had the blank spot for changing to English.
I just updated my old 0801 (with out internal 8gb) and the word English actually showed up this time.

17.4? wow that's pretty high quality = )

I'm letting my new 0801 (with internal) record to the 32GB Class 10 card
I'm letting my old 0801 (with out internal) record to the 32GB Class 4 card

I formatted both via the 0801 menu. I want to see how that goes before messing with a manual PC format of 64K cluster size.

So yeah they are filling up the next 4.3 hours. (according to the bitrate calculator)
http://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator/

Then I'll pull power to shut down, re-apply power for the auto turn on & see if it records without falling over!
There has to be a good combination here. (I hope)

I've already noticed two differences in LED behavior.

The new 0801 (with internal) is flashing between blue and red, but when it's on the red, the red is flickering fast
The old 0801 (with out internal) is flashing between blue and red solid-steady normal looking.

Last edited:
So yeah here's the new start-up screen.
lRomclhl.jpg

Which reminds me.........

Someone asked earlier if there is a way to change the start-up graphic. It looks like there is a way to re-compile the whole firmware bin to included a graphic of your choice. They even list the source code! :)

I'm not going to try any of this, but I thought I'd share for anyone up to the challenge.

http://translate.googleusercontent....ALkJrhg4eWS358C-tfHYOtfUvr6BcFt9kA#post-25782

"and where is it? you have access to the source code firmware?3ppc 1, 2 3ppc
Unfortunately, our compressed firmware and modify it more difficult.
You can replace the image start."

http://translate.googleusercontent....=26214&usg=ALkJrhjhPWxeUWGcZfd4Fcbklfl7hRtyGA

http://translate.googleusercontent....517560&usg=ALkJrhhKJvELqnvecSYiyJ5s_tIIULwkGA

It looks like generic Ambarella SDK stuff though, hard to say it's even worth trying.

JazJon, do you have a link to the 0903 firmware? I'd like to have it on hand just in case I need to revert at some point.

JazJon, do you have a link to the 0903 firmware? I'd like to have it on hand just in case I need to revert at some point.

http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

http://dashcamtalk.com/cams/mini0801/20130903-NO1-SPI-1CARD-2710-GPS-MA310-中性.zip

This 0903 version doesn't have the internal card option though. My new 0801 (with internal 8gb) came with 0903 that actually had the inner/outer card choice.

I sent a message to both Givoe and eprance asking for firmware 20130913 (and newer) I explained about the recycle problem etc. Hopefully they respond when the Chinese holiday closure is over soon.

http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

http://dashcamtalk.com/cams/mini0801/20130903-NO1-SPI-1CARD-2710-GPS-MA310-中性.zip

This 0903 version doesn't have the internal card option though. My new 0801 (with internal 8gb) came with 0903 that actually had the inner/outer card choice.

I sent a message to both Givoe and eprance asking for firmware 20130913 (and newer) I explained about the recycle problem etc. Hopefully they respond when the Chinese holiday closure is over soon.

Thanks. I forgot it was on the FAQ. Duh.

Results with 16gb c10 on CX4 firmware are good so far. The card filled in about 2 hours and I've cycled it on/off 15-20 times after it was full, recording for over a minute each time. No errors or shut downs so far. I'll put in the 32gb c4 card overnight and do some more testing tomorrow.

Results with 16gb c10 on CX4 firmware are good so far. The card filled in about 2 hours and I've cycled it on/off 15-20 times after it was full, recording for over a minute each time. No errors or shut downs so far. I'll put in the 32gb c4 card overnight and do some more testing tomorrow.

Excellent! Glad you're seeing positive results so far.

Both of my 0801's have been recording for 2H40M (so 32GB isn't full yet) I'm going to wait until they are for sure full before doing the on/off test and taking them for a spin in my car. (to see if car power changes anything last)

Ok here's my update on 20130911 (mixed but GOOD news)

As I said I have two 0801's so I could perform two tests simultaneously.

My newer 0801 (with internal) - It's working great so far! I confirmed the 32GB Class 4 card I had in last is full and in recycle mode. (it first recorded non top 4.5 hours, and looked to make sure AMB0001.MOV was long gone) I let the camera go auto on/off several times and it keeps on recording like it should no problems.:) Automatic Perfection like it should.

My old 0801 (with out internal) - It's falling over on the 32GB Class 10 card. o_O It recorded non stop 4.5 hours. I stopped it, confirmed it's full and in recycle mode. I let it power back up and after a minute or so I get "LOW SPEED CARD" error on the screen and it stops recording. Why it says Low speed when it's using the faster of the two microSD cards is beyond me. This plays into the instructions warning about not using Class 10 cards though!

Ok, so get this!
I swapped the microSD cards, and the problems followed!
-the newer 0801 now with the class 10 card fell over with low speed error
-the older 0801 now with the class 4 card is recording non stop no problems (on/off/on/off dozens of times)

So as of now, firmware 20130911 is stable on 32 Class 4 microSD cards, has fantastic 17Mbps video quality, and ads the new delayed power off feature.
EDIT: It's actually a variable bit-rate so all depends on how much light/movement/sound you have. So it conserves space automatically. (every file isn't giant sized)
:) <~~~~~

I'll test more tomorrow in my car to make sure GPS is still ok etc. I'll post some new raw sample mov files too.

I'd like to hear how other people's cards hold up. (since a few members have 16GB cards) Let us know how it works out for you. Class 4, Class 6, Class 10)

Last edited:
Ok here's my update on 20130911 (mixed but GOOD news)

As I said I have two 0801's so I could perform two tests simultaneously.

My newer 0801 (with internal) - It's working great so far! I confirmed the 32GB Class 4 card I had in last is full and in recycle mode. (it first recorded non top 4.5 hours, and looked to make sure AMB0001.MOV was long gone) I let the camera go auto on/off several times and it keeps on recording like it should no problems.:) Automatic Perfection like it should.

My old 0801 (with out internal) - It's falling over on the 32GB Class 10 card. o_O It recorded non stop 4.5 hours. I stopped it, confirmed it's full and in recycle mode. I let it power back up and after a minute or so I get "LOW SPEED CARD" error on the screen and it stops recording. Why it says Low speed when it's using the faster of the two microSD cards is beyond me. This plays into the instructions warning about not using Class 10 cards though!

Ok, so get this!
I swapped the microSD cards, and the problems followed!
-the newer 0801 now with the class 10 card fell over with low speed error
-the older 0801 now with the class 4 card is recording non stop no problems (on/off/on/off dozens of times)

So as of now, firmware 20130911 is stable on 32 Class 4 microSD cards, has fantastic 17Mbps video quality, and ads the new delayed power off feature.
EDIT: It's actually a variable bit-rate so all depends on how much light/movement/sound you have. So it conserves space automatically. (every file isn't giant sized)
:) <~~~~~

I'll test more tomorrow in my car to make sure GPS is still ok etc. I'll post some new raw sample mov files too.

I'd like to hear how other people's cards hold up. (since a few members have 16GB cards) Let us know how it works out for you. Class 4, Class 6, Class 10)
Does your G sensor calibration menu option work? Mine says please keep machine still and does nothing.

I'm sorry but i don't have time to make a proper tutorial for usb flashing the cam and my "custom made" cable didn't survive. It was one shot.

Here is a quick step for the FAQ.

Disclaymer:
I made this operation on my bricked cam. I suggest to use this method only in last resort.
I did it the quick and dirty way and destroy a cable in the process. So beware!

To flash with usb a bricked cam you'll need:
  1. The hard step is to have/make the usb cable. It needs to have pin 4 and 5 of mini usb linked.
  2. Plug it on the cam.
  3. Plug the cable on the computer.
  4. The cam displays only red light and no screen but windows detect an unknown device.
  5. Force the installation of the driver in the usb software zip by pointing on the Ambarella_Evaluation_Board_1.2.3.0.inf
  6. Start the directusb.exe as an admin (i used it under win 7 64bits)
  7. Click edit and modify #define PROGRAM_TIMEOUT 0 to #define PROGRAM_TIMEOUT 300000
  8. Choose the firmware file (i had to remove chinese caracters in elf flilename to get it work).
  9. Click connect (now the app should display a green OK status)
  10. Click download.
  11. Let the magic happened.
If it doesn't work, keep the power button pressed for 10~15sec and try again.

I made 1 and 2 the dirty way :
I opened the cable provided with the cam with a sharp tool on the mini usb plug. But carefull, the cable has 2 layers of pins one above the other.
5fAalQV.jpg

I made a shortcut whith a pinpoint between pin 4 an 5 as on the picture. Black cable with the one without solder. Forget about red, it broke when i was taking picture.
I don't know if you can release the pin during process so i kept it this way on all the time.
bPxpLXS.jpg

PS: Maybe an usb on the go cable and a male to male adapter or cable should work but not sure.I ordered those and made a report when i'll receive them (2 or 3 weeks).
Confirmed!!! A usb on the go cable with a male/male adapter works as a "special" cable. Much easier!

Last edited:
Finally had a reply from E-Prance regarding my first mini 0801 they sent me last Tuesday which has a faulty UP button, ie. when up button pressed it does not work, so you cannot get into settings ect, if I put sideways force on button when pressing it, sometimes it works, so the camera needs replacing, as obviously a bad connection or something silly inside camera itself.

I thought I could return it to 'Stonebridge UK LTD, Unit 10, Explorer Voyager Parc, Portsmouth, which was the return address on the shipping label, however E-Prance they shipped it direct from China, not from UK... very strange.
So they have requested that I just send the camera itself with no accessaries direct to them in China, and they will repair it and return it to me after repair, although I requested it to be replaced as it was like this on delivery.

As this was sold on Amazon UK, they are obligated to comply with UK selling laws, which they obviously don't understand. The camera itself works OK except for this faulty button, so I'm undecided whether to just write it off to a bad experience, and obviously leave a poor review feedback on Amazon as my consolation..lol or stick it out and demand again they replace it.

One things for sure, if potential UK buyers have the option to purchase the camera in the UK I would urge them to do so, even if it costs more. JMO based on this experience. If you buy something and it's faulty on delivery you expect a new replacement and not send it back to have it repared.

Ive asked E-Prance who the company is in Portsmouth, UK, thats on their shipping label ? as they say they send direct from China, so why is that companies nae and address on the "Return to" shipping label... something not quite right here...lol

Ah well, I'll probably just write it off to experience...just too much hassle.

Thankfully my second camera works okay in every respect...seems perfect so far.
Don't know if you have tried this, but my camera will only go into the menu mode if the icon on the top left of the display shows full hd with a camera icon. If it has a red flashing icon in the upper left it will not access the menu. The upper left icon can be toggled by pressing the ok button. Once the upper left icon is set to a the camera icon, access to the menu is available using the up button. FYI, I am using the eprance with 20130903 firmware

Ive been reading this forum and the Techmoan comments and obviously watched the video review. Im sure you all have too.

I just want a car camera that I can leave in the car and forget about. But is this still a bit glitchy? Seems to have a lot of problems. i wonder if I should hold off for a few months? I cant bare the thought of having an accident and the thing not working?

At the current time it appears new camera's are being shipped with version 20130913 firmware, and as long as you use a decent class 4 or class6 card, you should be okay.
The camera itself has a lot going for it, video quality is very good, and my tests at night have also been quite good, It's small and discreet, and so far using my Samsung class6 16gb card over last few days , which involved a overnight car round trip of 450 miles and it worked flawlessly, yes I've had a couple niggles like failing to switch on after charging on the bench with camera switched off, when battery goes flat but it came to life again after holding down the reset button, other than that my second camera is perfect, and I've since charged it a couple of times on the bench and it was fine.

So basically I can with certain reservations still recommend the camera, and if you do buy it, I hope you get a good one. :) I notice your'e in the UK, so I would check out this seller, his prices are a little more, but easier to resolve if any issues. http://joovuu.com/index.php?

Last edited:
Don't know if you have tried this, but my camera will only go into the menu mode if the icon on the top left of the display shows full hd with a camera icon. If it has a red flashing icon in the upper left it will not access the menu. The upper left icon can be toggled by pressing the ok button. Once the upper left icon is set to a the camera icon, access to the menu is available using the up button. FYI, I am using the eprance with 20130903 firmware

Yes...what you are discribing is the Standby and Recording modes. This however is a mechanical issue with the button bubble switch or more likely its solder connections inside the camera, may even be a tiny crack/break in PCB track.. because if I put side pressure on the button while pressing it I can get it to work say 3 times out of 4, the fact it works when side pressure is applied to the button tells me it's likely a bad solder joint or poor connection, so when side pressure is applied it makes contact. If the button is pressed in a normal down manner it doesn't work at all.

I have many years experience in electronics repair, so I'm fairly certain I could fix it if I could only get into the thing...lol I'm suspecting however that actually getting it dismantled is going to be harder that the actual fix...lol

It's useable as it is, because you don't need to go into settings very often, but does make muting the mic a problem, so may leave as it is, but if I could get the end circular cover plate off I might be tempted to try fixing it myself, but appears dificult without causing minor damage, which I obviously want to avoid.

Last edited:
Yes...what you are discribing is the Standby and Recording modes. This however is a mechanical issue with the button bubble switch or more likely its solder connections inside the camera, may even be a tiny crack/break in PCB track.. because if I put side pressure on the button while pressing it I can get it to work say 3 times out of 4, the fact it works when side pressure is applied to the button tells me it's likely a bad solder joint or poor connection, so when side pressure is applied it makes contact. If the button is pressed in a normal down manner it doesn't work at all.

I have many years experience in electronics repair, so I'm fairly certain I could fix it if I could only get into the thing...lol I'm suspecting however that actually getting it dismantled is going to be harder that the actual fix...lol

It's useable as it is, because you don't need to go into settings very often, but does make muting the mic a problem, so may leave as it is, but if I could get the end circular cover plate off I might be tempted to try fixing it myself, but appears dificult without causing minor damage, which I obviously want to avoid.

How much will it cost you to ship the 0801 all the way back to China? Did E-Prance say that they'll pay for it, since it was an obvious defect?

Most Chinese company selling on eBay and Amazon will only ship from China. One order at a time. One of the benefits is that they don't have to comply with the foreign safety regulations. Let's fact it, most of these electronics gadgets are not even subject to Chinese laws. More importantly, this also shields them from potential liability if the USB adapter or dash cam burst into flames.

Think things don't burst into flames? The Bose amplifier in my Mercedes did just that, causing severe fire damage in the trunk. Fortunately, there was nobody inside the car at the time. When the fire broke out in the Bose amplifier, it was 3 o'clock in the morning and the Mercedes was sitting in the driveway. Fortunately, the damage was repairable. I didn't have to pay any of the $3700 repair bill. The car did smell smokey for a couple of months after the repair was done. They installed new wiring harnesses, Bose amp, trunk lining, carpet, plastic parts, antenna, antenna wiring, etc. All the interior surfaces of the car had black soot from the fires. (seats, headliner, dash, carpet..) However, the dealer did a great job of cleaning everything up.

Note: my comments is not directed at the 0801... just "no-name" electronic stuff from China in general.

Last edited:
How much will it cost you to ship the 0801 all the way back to China? Did E-Prance say that they'll pay for it, since it was an obvious defect?

Most Chinese company selling on eBay and Amazon will only ship from China. One order at a time. One of the benefits is that they don't have to comply with the foreign safety regulations. Let's fact it, most of these electronics gadgets are not even subject to Chinese laws. More importantly, this also shields them from potential liability if the USB adapter or dash cam burst into flames.

Think things don't burst into flames? The Bose amplifier in my Mercedes did just that, causing severe fire damage in the trunk. Fortunately, there was nobody inside the car at the time. When the fire broke out in the Bose amplifier, it was 3 o'clock in the morning and the Mercedes was sitting in the driveway. Fortunately, the damage was repairable. I didn't have to pay any of the $3700 repair bill. The car did smell smokey for a couple of months after the repair was done. They installed new wiring harnesses, Bose amp, trunk lining, carpet, plastic parts, antenna, antenna wiring, etc. All the interior surfaces of the car had black soot from the fires. (seats, headliner, dash, carpet..) However, the dealer did a great job of cleaning everything up.

Note: my comments is not directed at the 0801... just "no-name" electronic stuff from China in general.

They did state they would re-imburse my shipping costs afterwards, what I objected to was their failure to replace it, if a brand new item is delivered faulty.. would you expect the company to replace it or repair it. ? or would you not care as long as it worked after repair... but I repeat why would anyone want a repair when it's just arrived faulty, surely you would want it replaced as a matter of principal.

I have asked them why they have a UK return address on their shipping label ? On double checking the packaging again there is nothing to indicate it was posted from China, but it did arrive by recorded Royal Mail delivery. Posted in UK. Very strange. ;-)

Anyway... I wont be sending it back, as it would likely take many weeks to get it returned. It does work in a fashion, as long as I don't need the UP key often, I'll use it for the rear of the car, but in any event at £67 it's pretty low cost so not worth the hassle, If I cant manage without the UP button I'll just write it off. Some we win, some we lose.
One has to think positive thoughts, I could have had 2 duff ones, so 1 good one out of two is not too bad for China...lol

Sounds like you had a horendous time when that Bose amp decided it no longer wished to live, could have been very nasty, though it sounds like it indeed was. A friend of mine who is a keen radio control model plane fan, had one of his lithium batteries they use to power some planes explode in the boot of his car while being charged, was like a bomb going off, made a right mess of his boot. :-(

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back