Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

they default to the internal card

Cheers for confirming it, I thought that would be the case as it makes sense, but thought I'd double check with you guys before telling him... ;-)

Cheers for confirming it, I thought that would be the case as it makes sense, but thought I'd double check with you guys before telling him... ;-)
Can you get the internal 8meg card to create and fill the gps folder? I have tried several combinations of tests but was not able to get the internal card to create gps folder and subsequent data file. The fw will create gps folder and gps files fine on the external card.
To test the internal card I made sure the gps was powered up and locked on, then I formatted the internal card, I did not have the external card in the unit at the time. Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong?

With the option of SquareTrade on ebay for unit, there should 0 risk of buying right?
If it stops working (moderate probability) then just get a new one or money back?
Any one had experience with this?

Bad news, for some reason today my 0801 is falling over on the 32GB Class 4 card! I went to the post office a short time ago. I was watching the Satellite icon to see how long it would take to acquire GPS lock. Well it only took 20 seconds. Get this, it was recording before it got the lock, but the moment it did, it STOPPED recording! I turned the ignition off, waited a second, turned it back on, and it started recording again no problem. I got to the post office, walked inside to send a package. When I got back into my car, I started up my car, saw the GPS lock was immedate but it stopped recording like 10-20 seconds later. (no beep, no shut down) I repeated this behavior several times. :(
I wonder why it's acting up today? So yeah, so much for 20130911 being "good" The russian forum seems to confirm the same issue, some are using the older TS firmware it seems to stay stable.

I'd really like to get a hold of 20130922 (still waiting for the download link) I refuse to go back to TS recordings, and we don't even have that firmware anyway.

Can you get the internal 8meg card to create and fill the gps folder? I have tried several combinations of tests but was not able to get the internal card to create gps folder and subsequent data file. The fw will create gps folder and gps files fine on the external card.
To test the internal card I made sure the gps was powered up and locked on, then I formatted the internal card, I did not have the external card in the unit at the time. Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong?

I didn't think the inner card was working with GPS either. Here's the thing, the 0801 will automatically record to the inner card if the microSD card is not inserted. It won't log GPS data in this mode though. You need to get into settings and change the "CHOOSE CARD" from Outer to Inner. Only then will it create the GPS folder and start creating GPS .LOG files on the inner card. I just confirmed GPS data is logged on my internal card via Firmware 20130911

With the option of SquareTrade on ebay for unit, there should 0 risk of buying right?
If it stops working (moderate probability) then just get a new one or money back?
Any one had experience with this?

It seems pretty legit if you think the cost would justify the low risk and conveniences of payment refund. I don't like paying for high price 3rd party warranties though unless it's for a Car or something. I decline the Best Buy ones at the store etc.

Last edited:
Here are some new sample clips to show how nice the 17Mbps looks from CX4 firmware 20130911.

From the external card:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vdf1dra2yphigt/AMBA0108.MOV
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gt45ffxyk5r30g4/gps0108.log

From the internal card: (to show GPS is working, you need to change "CHOOSE CARD" to "inner card" though for logging to work via internal)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9xf4z32mh1ailx/AMBA0001.MOV
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpfuxnijtn3erbb/gps0001.log

Man those clips look awesome! Shame it's not stable though. Yay to 17Mbps Nay to freezing up...

Did you try the windows 64k cluster format?
Since i formated i get the not optimum format message when switched on but it was quite stable so far (made a lot of test this we but not in my car so without gps).
I made 2 trips today, no lockup.
Since the movie file are huge, maybe 64k cluster ease the deleting process in recycling.

It never trips up in my room with out the GPS hooked up.

I'll go ahead and try formatting in Windows with 64k cluster size next. (good idea)

It never trips up in my room with out the GPS hooked up.

I'll go ahead and try formatting in Windows with 64k cluster size next. (good idea)

Ok I formated 64K Cluster size. I got the following message on the screen at first bootup. It stayed until I selceted NO. Once I've recorded something, I only see the message flash on the screen for a half second at future bootups. (so far so good) It must only force the question when the card is totally blank. (good good) I'm not going to be able to fill up my card until later tonight. I need to get on the road shortly so will record as is for now. I'll let it fill up later tonight and do more driving tests after that as well.

EpW3jqBl.jpg

Are these problems only happening with GPS enabled 0801's?

I would so like to replace a DVR 027 with one of these, but the issues seem endless.
I really thought the Class 4/Class 10 card thing would resolve a lot of this, but as Jokiin has mentioned the MOV versions and recycle problems continue.

I would so like to replace a DVR 027 with one of these, but the issues seem endless.
I really thought the Class 4/Class 10 card thing would resolve a lot of this, but as Jokiin has mentioned the MOV versions and recycle problems continue.
MOV format is desirable I think primarily because it works with Registrator Viewer, I think I'd rather have stability though and would prefer to use TS until such time as it's sorted

Stability is THE best feature in any dash cam, even more so than image quality when you think about it; some footage is better than none, simple as that :) In that respect I cannot knock the old tech DVR 027.

Saturday i was off on a 300km(190mile) trip, off and on atleast a dozen times. Not once did it fail. And I ended up having about 6 hrs of recorded time, and the card was file and the new trip video had overwritten the older stuff that was there.

This morning on my way to work I started it up and again no problems.

I'm still running the Sony Class 10 card.

Saturday i was off on a 300km(190mile) trip, off and on atleast a dozen times. Not once did it fail. And I ended up having about 6 hrs of recorded time, and the card was file and the new trip video had overwritten the older stuff that was there.

This morning on my way to work I started it up and again no problems.

I'm still running the Sony Class 10 card.

Glad to hear some people are happy, which firmware are you on right now?

trancen, do you have a GPS enabled 0801? Is it with or without internal memory?

I am still waiting to order the 0801... but seeing so many issues being reported, I'm having second thoughts. :(

Perhaps it's just the 0801 being picky about MicroSD cards?

Just took all the spare cards out of my drawers. I have no 0801, but I have 9 different MicroSD cards from 6 different manufactures. :) None of these cards have been used in the last few months. I only use the Sandisk 64GB card on a daily basis.

Sandisk: 8GB Ultra(Class 6), 32GB(Class 4), 16GB(Class 4)
Transcend: 16GB(Class 6)
Kingston: 8GB(Class 4)
Sony: 16GB(Class 10)
PNY: 8GB(Class 4), 16GB(Class 10)
Samsung: 8GB(Class 4)

I sure hope the 0801 that I order will like at least one of those cards! :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back